Tetra Tech

Tetra Tech Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Tetra Tech Chairman, CEO, and COO Dan L. Batrack

Dan L. Batrack

Pros
  • If you work for a good company with good people, you will enjoy your job (in 7 reviews)

• Amazing staff, helpful colleagues, and nice work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It has also too many senior management and project managers who don't do anything (in 5 reviews)

• Tetra Tech is a big company comprised of many acquisitions and each company operates separately (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for

Project Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsBig company with small and personal office feel at regional level

ConsExpect to do more with less

Advice to Senior ManagementSome regional office leaders are micro manager and tend not to empower their employees

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTook a chance on a relatively inexperienced employee

ConsPay is poor and does not reflect COL.

Do not recommend- has lost its way

ProsPeople in the trenches are good and great to work with.

ConsLack of clear direction and where company is going. Little to no communication from leadership and when it does come very vague.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to value people more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management needs a direction

ProsI learned a lot working at Tetra Tech and was able to enhance my skills. Those in my department were great to work with.

ConsMiddle mgmt makes everything 10 x's more difficult than it has to be and are more interested in pointing fingers and placing blame instead of fixing the problems. They also have the mentality that if they are harsh with the employees they'll get a better work product. Not so. Most of the people in my dept are afraid to talk to one another for fear they'll get in trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect. Problems are solved by working together, not by pointing fingers, If you treat people with respect and with a positive attitude, you'll get a better work product

Decent Company, depending on location and field

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe company is so big and certain offices tend to get neglected. The people within the office are great, but there are issues with intra-office coordination.

ConsThe people within the office are great, but there are issues with intra-office coordination. The pay is does not set it apart from any other company of its size. Although budgets are critically important. management tends to spends more time tracking the money rather than tracking the companies technical performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementA significant improvement would be to attain more exciting projects to work on.

Not rewarding, under appreciated and work in an extremely stressful environment.

ProsThe salary is good and the people I work with are wonderful.

ConsPoor management in my department. Overworked and under appreciated. The company does not care if you have been there 20 plus years, they will lay you off and hire someone for less money. We aren't expected to have a life other than Tetra Tech. Since this is a consulting firm, we have to be billable and if we aren't we are threatened that we could be "let go" and this causes a lot of stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider getting help in certain departments that are struggling to keep up with the workload. Certain departments should not be strictly billable.

Tetra Tech AMT / Great group of people / Poor work environment and culture

Anonymous (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsBase on my experience with Tetra Tech AMT, everyone is wonderful to work with. There are many different personalities and egos, but the co-workers are the only positive thing going on for this company. When things aren't going well, everyone is on the same page and expresses there concerns with each other. Senior managers are extremely nice and intelligent and they are not afraid to talk about their concerns or even express their own opinions about the executives.

ConsSenior executives needs to have a more open door policy with their subordinates. The culture and environment has become complacent or, what many believe, is now dead...especially after the government shutdown and budget cuts. Every time an employee leaves from overhead, the company decides not to backfill the position. Leaving the rest of overhead forced to collect the scraps!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people! I believe that enhancing an organizations value through its workforce will lift morale and improve the culture. After the government shutdown, morale has been at an all-time low. Yes, money is tight and there is still uncertainty in the market, but never lose sight in keeping the workforce happy, or else you'll lose them one by one. Right now, people are wanting to leave...and that is not a good sign.

It's a job....

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWhen times are good you get paid...

ConsWhen times are bad you get sent home...

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to help PMs have tools they need to bring business in when their clients suddenly quit spending.

Good place to work

Research Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like environmental topics, there is interesting work. There are pretty good opportunities for recent college graduates. There are also opportunities for mentorship.

ConsThe corporate culture depends on the area you are working in. Because there are so many offices around the country, things can get siloed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of contractors, but at the moment certain parts of the company are having more work than others. I was hired for a specific assignment, but my contract was extended due to my work.

Seemed to be growing faster than management adjusted.

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsI worked with some very great people and got involved with some projects which took me to interesting locations. Had a couple great mentors.

ConsThere was a fair amount of discord between project managers. This was true both within our office and between sister offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have senior personnel tell junior staff that then need to leave the field before their soul is destroyed. This is very bad for moral.

Worked for Tetra Tech? Contribute to the Community!