Tetra Tech

Updated December 8, 2014
2.9

Tetra Tech Chairman, CEO, and COO Dan L. Batrack
Dan L. Batrack

Pros
  • If you work for a good company with good people, you will enjoy your job (in 8 reviews)

• Amazing staff, helpful colleagues, and nice work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Tetra Tech is essentially a holding company for a bunch of operating units (in 5 reviews)

• It has also too many senior management and project managers who don't do anything (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at Tetra Tech as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you like environmental topics, there is interesting work. There are pretty good opportunities for recent college graduates. There are also opportunities for mentorship.

Cons

The corporate culture depends on the area you are working in. Because there are so many offices around the country, things can get siloed.

There are lots of contractors, but at the moment certain parts of the company are having more work than others. I was hired for a specific assignment, but my contract was extended due to my work.

Not rewarding, under appreciated and work in an extremely stressful environment.

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is good and the people I work with are wonderful.

Cons

Poor management in my department. Overworked and under appreciated. The company does not care if you have been there 20 plus years, they will lay you off and hire someone for less money. We aren't expected to have a life other than Tetra Tech. Since this is a consulting firm, we have to be billable and if we aren't we are threatened that we could be "let go" and this causes a lot of stress.

Consider getting help in certain departments that are struggling to keep up with the workload. Certain departments should not be strictly billable.

Seemed to be growing faster than management adjusted.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Golden, CO

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some very great people and got involved with some projects which took me to interesting locations. Had a couple great mentors.

Cons

There was a fair amount of discord between project managers. This was true both within our office and between sister offices.

Don't have senior personnel tell junior staff that then need to leave the field before their soul is destroyed. This is very bad for moral.

Overall, a disappointing experience.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Tetra Tech part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally a good reputation in the industry translates to interesting projects. There were some good opportunities to make meaningful contributions to significant projects.

Cons

Company organization and management does not facilitate effective use of the impressive resources available across the corporation. Does not do a good job of leveling resources where they are needed and avoiding cut-backs where they are under-used.

Devise a more effective system for sharing resources/staff across business units and equitably assigning credit for project profit where it is justified. Reward team players and facilitators, and weed out the hoarders, especially at upper levels.

Summer Internship

I worked at Tetra Tech

Pros

I had an internship with them in the summer. They were really easy going people to work with; Great environment.

Cons

Not much to complain about. Now trying to get a full-time job as an entry civil engineer with them.

Overall a great and unique company

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a great history/foundation in science and cutting edge services. A company focus on building on that reputation while also growing in more traditional areas is appreciated. Good (and improving) branding. A large and diverse set of services to both private and government sectors. Great amount of talent.

Cons

Some of the business units don't work well together, though this is improving.

Need to pay more attention to and invest in its employees. Provide adequate ladders for growth. Define the Tt way to enhance culture across the company.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Geoscientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Geoscientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Variety and abundance of projects, travel options, compensation, management.

Cons

Lack of work in Oil and Gas sector

More emphasis on career development to keep talent in house.

Amazing Company

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Tremendous growth and opportunity for the ambitious. Compensation commensurate with responsibilities and market conditions. A good place to expand your experience and career opportunities. High quality people.

Cons

Business is very market focused, and can be limiting if market trends downward. Shifting growth initiatives creates confusion about core markets. Large company can isolate segments of the company, with challenges in delivering a clear mission and vision.

Organizational structure is somewhat confusing to staff and management. Changing market focus also impacts legacy structures and alignment.

Great projects and employees.

Current Employee - Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tretra Tech has some of the coolest projects and very intelligent employees. You are in charge of your own career and can go in many different directions, across the company, around the globe.

Cons

Finding the right connection can be a challenge is such a large company.

Each office has it's own culture. My experience has been positive, but I would recommend that company values and vision be shared more often at the local level. It will help connect employees to the bigger picture.

Basic internship that had me involved in a whole range of Engineering aspects

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Tetra Tech part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My advisors gave me all kinds of aspects to work on including actual field work

Cons

They struggled with keeping me busy