Tetra Tech

Updated December 8, 2014
2.9

Tetra Tech Chairman, CEO, and COO Dan L. Batrack
Dan L. Batrack

Pros
  • If you work for a good company with good people, you will enjoy your job (in 8 reviews)

• Amazing staff, helpful colleagues, and nice work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Tetra Tech is essentially a holding company for a bunch of operating units (in 5 reviews)

• It has also too many senior management and project managers who don't do anything (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work for a good company with good people, you will enjoy your job.

Cons

Disjointed. Variety of companies so advancement to other departments could be challenging.

Work on employee retention.

Supportive employer

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Tt is very supportive in your career goals.

Cons

Is not the most competitive employer. Shareholders are more important than the employee.

Recognize employees potential and reward them.

Love the work environment

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who care about professionalism, excellence, and creating the best possible product and experience for the customer. No one is micromanaged. Communication is open and transparent. Collaboration and learning is encouraged.

Cons

I don't have much negative to say except that pay rates are below the market average. When I left this job, I registered with a placement agency who negotiated a fair salary with my next employer; it was like getting a 25% pay raise.

During my time, Tetratech was going through some growing pains with its administrative structure.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has acquired some talented groups and continues to focus on interesting projects all over the US and increasingly the world.

Cons

Dealing with the central administration was always a headache for my team. I felt that it had grown too much too fast to efficiently process everyone's paperwork.

Find more ways to streamline the administrative functions and free up project managers.

Low pay, late payments for consultants

Former Employee - Researcher
    Former Employee - Researcher

I worked at Tetra Tech as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, upbeat staff on projects

Cons

As a consultant 2012-2013, received almost all payments a few weeks after their stated 30-day turnaround. Pathetic. Stopped working for them in September when the late payments got out of hand. They also pay the lowest compared to other companies in this sector I work for.

Get a hold of your finances. You're losing good talent because of your reputation to pay late.

Lots of opportunity

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities working for such a large company; it just takes initiative to seek and go after those opportunities.

Cons

In a company with more than 14,000 employees, it is easy to get lost in the sea of names executives deal with every day. Sometimes management focuses more on numbers instead of on who is making a difference in the company.

My advice is to thoroughly think through changes and gain input from employees "down in the trenches" before implementing said changes.

The EPCM group was very young, unstructured, and struggling to get work into the office.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I worked at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Good people, strong camaraderie, good office work environment, good equipment, fair management.

Cons

Office administrative head overbearing/over-reaching in her power, work backlog thin, asked to take vacation when workload got light to save them from overhead costs, and top management, like most other large engineering consulting firms, are only looking at the next quarter, the stock price they can create, and the easiest way to boost their annual bonus.

Care more about the employees that bring you the money rather than use, abuse, give lip service, and dispose.

Great company

I have been working at Tetra Tech

Pros

Hard working ethic, with strong commitment to clients and their goals

Cons

I do not thing I can say anything negative about the company

None

Compensation is less than competition

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time

Pros

Great people, Friendly work atmosphere

Cons

The salaries and yearly raises are very low.

Overall, a good company

Current Employee - Project Manager II - Geotechnical Structural Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Tetra Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the offices are small and provide a "small company" feel. I believe the company wants to be the best at what they do and they are implimenting changes to achieve their goals.

Cons

The primary growth was through acquisition and therefore there is a lack of cohesiveness and consistent deliverables across the company.

If staff retention is important, you need to involve staff in some decisions, especally ones that affect them directly. Restructure the company such that it would be more economical to utilize company skills. Make movement within the company, ie changing to another Tt entity, easier.