Texas A&M AgriLife

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.8

CEO

Nice people to work with. Flexible work schedule. Getting anything involving HR done takes a while

Current Employee - Technician II in Weslaco, TX
    Current Employee - Technician II in Weslaco, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are really nice and easy to work with. The administration are nice enough people. I have a lot of freedom with what I work on. The office environment was clean and the bathrooms were well taken care of. I am satisfied with the work i do. I can tell the work I do is appreciated. While I was a student employee the work schedule was very flexible.

Cons

Anything having to do with HR takes forever since I work in one of the satellite office in Texas and a lot of things need to get approved by someone in College Station. I just recently went from 'student worker' to full time employee. Even as a full time employee I don't receive any benefits. Because I'm not a student anymore, my contract to work will only last for six months. At least that's what I was lead to believe.

Give me administrator privileges on my work computer so I can install programs without having to bother ya'll to do it.

It could go either way...

Current Employee - Research Technician in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take safety and Family values seriously. They do have a good working environment .

Cons

Pay is decent but don't expect raises when normal raises should appear.

Student Worker

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked here while completing my undergraduate degree. Some of the benefits to this position include:
    Flexible work schedules, reasonable workload, and ability to work on school assignments during downtime.

Cons

No paid time off or paid holidays, pay raises are almost non-existent, and some highly educated people in the office can be condescending.

Great place to work. Nice people, nice organization, but what exactly does "AgriLife" do??

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Station, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has a familial feel. It seems like many employees stay there for quite some time, but there is also always new people (eg. graduate students, professors, research assistants) coming on board through the University. Overall, good benefits, and College Station based employees can enjoy being a part of a well-resourced public university.

Cons

There seems to be no limits as to what "AgriLife" does. Feels a bit like mission creep. Staff are too homogeneous - ie. they love anything and everything Aggieland, generally Caucasian, conservative, and from rural Texas.

Rebrand the organization. The word "AgriLife" doesn't mean anything. Refocus your mission and priorities.

Student technician

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere, lots of opportunities for networking etc.

Cons

Health benefits, or rather its lack

NIL

Proud to work here - left due to supervisor issues and advancement potential

I worked at Texas A&M AgriLife as a contractor

Pros

Hard work is appreciated by some. Decent benefit package. 8-5 work schedule most days. Most employees and faculty acted professionally and were a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Supervisor lacked training on dealing with employees and had unreasonable expectations concerning job duties. Sometimes lax on safety protocols, especially doing field work. Most positions have no room for promotion potential without obtaining further education. Lower than average compensation.

Improve supervisor training or remove supervisors who don't communicate effectively. Remove red tape concerning promotions/pay increases.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Station, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great education. I had the opportunity to travel the world for agricultural research.

Cons

Graduate stipends are perhaps a little low for the amount of work.

Student Worker

Current Employee - Student Worker in College Station, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The faculty are very courteous, understanding of student schedules, and provide a great workplace environment. Being at a University, they are very mindful if you are a full-time student and don't mind if you work on schoolwork during downtime.

Cons

There are not any particular downsides to a position as a student worker, aside from the obvious cons that are characteristic of the position. Such features include no advancement or increase in pay that you might see in a job outside of a student worker position.

Coming from an academic institution that prides itself on it's ethics and integrity, it is always important to abide by the Aggie honor code.

Depending on which professor that you are working for

Current Employee - Student Worker in College Station, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Texas A&M is a great school. People are friendly in general.

Cons

Work environment really depends on which professor/s that you are working for. Some of them are very nice and some are not.Choose wisely.

Excellent

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Station, TX

I have been working at Texas A&M AgriLife part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are nice, open, and willing to collaborate in the workplace. The facilities are new and modern. The department is one of the largest departments of AgEconomics in the nation. Top ranked.

Cons

College Station is a really quiet town. It is really family friendly. There is not a lot of public transportation. Overall, I would not consider it a walking or biking friendly community.