Texas Association of School Boards

Be The First To
Add Photos

James B Crow

Positive

I have been working at Texas Association of School Boards full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFamily first business, great benefits

ConsHard to move up the ladder. Very tenured employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for those who want to move up

Friendly workplace feels like family; but also some lack of accountability (which also feels like family)

I have been working at Texas Association of School Boards full-time

ProsTruly generous benefits, especially retirement; great onsite daycare; meaningful mission; many positive interactions with co-workers

ConsWay too much of the "we've never done it that way" attitude; too many people here (even in senior leadership) who don't do their jobs/don't cooperate - but no one will hold them accountable; very limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to whether or not the people below you are holding their employees accountable and don't be afraid to expect better things from all of us.

Lofty ideals don't apply at the employee level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Texas Association of School Boards full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome great coworkers, high level of concern for clients, corporate culture is attractive on paper (but not available to all)

ConsHigh standards/goals but tools available to attain them are sub-standard. Some so-so employees are admired and promoted while hard workers are marginalized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees the tools to enable them to succeed. Invest in their success rather than providing poor systems and processes then telling them to excel anyway.

Very friendly but not enough top-down leadership

I have been working at Texas Association of School Boards

ProsGreat benefits (very generous retirement program, wonderful on-site day care, great Wellness program).

ConsThere is too much "local control" which means that some people have understanding, supportive management who permit reasonable flexibility and some people simply don't. There is a lot of resistance to change because much of the management has been there for a very long time and is resistant to trying new things or calling people on the carpet when they don't do their job. There is VERY LITTLE opportunity for advancement because people like working there and don't leave.

Epitome of Work-Life Balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Texas Association of School Boards

ProsTASB puts family first. The benefits are unmatched, which accounts for the lower salaries offered, as any not-for-profit company would do. The camaraderie among employees is excellent and there is a great sense of fellowship. Everyone seems to love why they do what they do.

ConsLow turnover prevents room for significant promotion. Salaries tend to be low and merit increase budgets are low. Company is not a trend-setter in this regard. No opportunities for bonuses because of not-for-profit status.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the idea of the employees. That has made TASB progressive and the envy of other state school board associations. Consider more frequent salary reviews.

Great Starter Job

Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Association of School Boards

ProsTASB offers great benefits, friendly people, flexible hours. They have many internal events to increase employee morale. Building surroundings are neat and welcoming. Large workspace areas. Travel opportunities are very nice. There is an on-site daycare and employees receive a discounted rate. There is a small on-site fitness center and workout classes available for purchase.

ConsThere is not much room for advancement within the company. Also, it is very difficult to receive tuition reimbursement even though the company is centered around education. The yearly pay raises are minimal and not really based on performance. I have seen relatives and friends get hired over more qualified candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow opportunities for professional growth, do not underestimate the abilities of your staff

Worked for Texas Association of School Boards? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Association of School Boards reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Texas Association of School Boards CEO James B Crow. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Texas Association of School Boards employees.