Texas Attorney General

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Julie Geeslin

Great people, secure job, weak pay

Accountant IV (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgood benefits package, pension okay, job security, good dedicated people, great work-life balance

Conspay was pretty low, long-term career growth was limited

Great place for profession career growth and development. Get exposure to other areas of the legal career.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsGreat place to learn about legal perspectives from legislation to the exercise of that law by the bench. Also had great opportunities for advancement within the region as well as across the State. Many opportunities to network with other legal entities which can open doors to other career paths.

ConsCan be an emotionally charged environment handling the public's personal family matters of child support and custodial issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe conscious of the office environment you create or permit. Make regular positive reinforcement efforts with staff especially with those who most deal with the difficult public.

Very different from the private sector

Information Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood pay and benefits. Interesting variety of work. Many of the issues are hot topics, currently at the forefront of public news. Sense of doing some good things for people.

ConsFrequent periods of not having enough work to stay busy (and management not being concerned with this). Lack of teambuilding, sense of community.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the ivory tower, get to know your employees. Get a better grip on employee bloat ... if there's not enough work for everyone, do some streamlining or spread the work around more efficiently.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low Stress but Low Paying

AAG VI (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsRegular hours with flexibility of schedule. No worries about billing hundreds of hours. The work can be cutting-edge and rewarding

ConsWages are below market. Chance for advancement is limited. Sometimes it is very slow-paced. Sometimes fellow employees are not as motivated as one would find in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career tracks. Quit re-hiring retirees back into management positions. Allow for work from home.

Great benefits, sub-par management

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHealth insurance paid
    Ability to work at a fast-pace when you have work to do
    It's a job is the biggest pro

ConsManagement couldn't really care any less. You will soon find that unless you're part of the in-crowd, upward mobility is not in your future. Also there are plenty of complacent state workers, so if you work hard, be prepared to do more than your share.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive performance reviews
    Hold quarterly meetings
    Listen when your entire staff has an issue
    Don't threaten write-ups at the advice of friends in the office
    A kind word once in a while is appreciated
    Check up on the work we do, even if it's only once a month

A great place to start or end a carreer

Systems Support Specialist II (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPaid holidays, sick leave and vacation time.

ConsLimited ability to contribute or affect change unless you reach the executive management level

Advice to Senior ManagementView employees as a valuable resource.

Great Clerk/Intern Experience

Temp Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFast-paced atmosphere, great training, and great people surrounding you

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do

Good Place to Intern

Law Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance, friendly environment. Good people to work with. You will gain experience of the state government system.

ConsWork can get a little slow.

great job but ineffective management.

Child Support Officer II (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits, work life and home life balance. lots of freedom to make independent judgment calls.

Consno raises, long hours and the technology is far behind with archaic systems. there are far too many years without legislative raises and increased healthcare costs.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote within more often and listen more to your subordinates.

honestly,very disappointing experience overall.

Call Center Child Support Officer (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsGood benefits, co-workers. Parking is adequate. Ongoing monthly training is helpful.

ConsRampant favoritism, management was unprofessional and had never worked in a call center before. Training was inadequate and I only received negative feedback. High turnover and low morale while I was there. The division is understaffed- big understatement. Facilities left a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTotally revamp training- Hire an educational consultant to actually listen to their suggestions. Corrective action is unprofessional and subjective.Do something to increase morale/lower turnover and stop the favoritism.

Worked for Texas Attorney General? Contribute to the Community!