Texas Biomedical Research

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.3

CEO

Good workplace, but not a career.

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant

I have been working at Texas Biomedical Research

Pros

They work around your schedule if you are continuing your education (master's, etc). Also, can make your own hours (if PI allows).

Cons

No room for advancement. Position depends on grants Primary Investigators receive, therefore your job is always on the line.

Jobs are very tedious and should have higher pay.

Take a closer look

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Texas Biomedical Research full-time

Pros

This company provides plenty of opportunities for you to perfect your pokerface. Also, the other person who reviewed this company gave them 4 stars, but if you read what was written in the review it's clear it's not a four-star place to work.

Cons

In my tenure at this company I met many people from different departments (IT, Safety, Animal Care, Research, etc), everyone, except two, had the same story, they are miserable. Also, many people, including myself, felt the work environment was unsafe.
     HR is out of touch with the employees as well as the current research industry trends. I watched as administrative people, that have no background in conducting research, meddled in how the scientists ran their labs. At the same time, scientists have no repercussions for bad behavior, and many (save a few saint-like individuals) take advantage of the lack of accountabillity.
    It is a Biological Safety Level 4 facility, and houses primates that can rip a human in half, not to mention the labs' necessary supply of toxic, lethal chemicals many employees work with daily. My former boss drank on the job, no one did anything about it, and I was the one in harms way.
    This company is a private non-profit. You can look up the bonuses that the board members made this past year, it's public information, and compare that to any salary they offer you. It's a joke. Remember you will risk your health and life whenever you are on campus, regardless of your job duties. It is the nature of the type of research that is conducted there. The co-workers I spoke with were disgusted by the lack of compensation and the SLOW promotional rate, which is on the order of years. Yes, they do pay in the average range of a typical research place in the San Antonio area, however, they are not a typical place of research. The work that you will do for them is extremely dangerous, and demands higher pay and on-the-job training in my opinion.
    After I resigned, I was contacted by a support group made up of former employees. I'm not kidding you. They invited me to a dinner and told me the horror stories of their experiences working here. They gather frequently to offer each other support in dealing with the aftemath of working at Texas Biomed. I felt vindicated my career didn't take off, but I felt sick to my stomach when I realized how many people's lives and careers were soured.
    You may notice the company has THREE Vice Presidents, and an interum President right now. Currently, many of their scientists (the people that bring in funding) are leaving and taking their grant money with them.
    I know this review sounds fabricated. Many people warned me when I was first hired, and I thought they just had an ax to grind, I'm sad to say I was niave.
    Unfortunately, there aren't many places in San Antonio that do cutting-edge research and this is the largest primate research facility this side of the world. I was drawn to it because I thought there would be a real possibility of working in a high-caliber research place. I understand the dream they will hook you with during the interview process. I hope you have a different experience than me, but it's always a good idea to have a back-up plan.

When will you address workers' basic safety concerns? Many put their lives at risk daily and are undercompensated. You cannot maintain a safe working environment if you have no concept of the current safety concerns. Management should immediately and openly address the rampant safety issues by providing real support to it's employees.