Texas Children's Hospital

Texas Children's Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Texas Children's Hospital President and CEO Mark A. Wallace

Mark A. Wallace

Pros
  • Friendly environment at work, with great benefits and facilities for employees (in 8 reviews)

• Great mission, taking care of kids (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Commuting to the medical center is not fun (in 3 reviews)

• Pay is below average, no opportunity for advancement (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my job!

ProsCoworkers are a joy, great atmosphere

ConsNone that I can think of

Has potential but needs a better training program (Review of the Pavillion)

Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, CEO very involved and it is obvious he has a positive vision for TCH. I would recommend working in areas outside of the Pavillion.

ConsToo much of a "highschool, clickish" environment in the Pavillion. Management not easy to talk to about concerns, unit training not well organized. ALOT of lost breaks and extra time including coming in for meetings that are "unpaid"

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more organized orientation, make sure all employees feel welcome and part of a team, keep the doors of communication open and accept feedback without being verbally hostile. Employees also have a life outside of work, there needs to be more of an effort from management to recognize and honor this within reason.

Disappointing

ProsYou'll have a job.This is a great place for nurses who manage to get hired on

ConsNepotism, cronyism. No career track for employees, no advancement through hard work, only if select people like you enough to give you an opportunity. HR does not advocate very well for employees. A good trustworthy leader is hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you want, you have been for years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Best Place To Work/ Tcpso BULLIES!

Patient Accounts (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlex time is great. Awarded time off if goals met on month to month basis of up to four hours maximum

ConsManagement treats you as if you don't matter. They have Team Leads trained to watch others and bully staff to keep them under control. Very demeaning to work here. Be prepared to tuck your tail and not think independently. Must be able to handle degrading comments to keep this job. No growth opportunities. Once you are in you are not able to transfer within unless you know someone. Lots of family here not good they advance. Directors allow mistreatment as long as money is made. They have lost lots of good people employed for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be replaced with a human with a heart. Demeaning employees is not in any organization necessary and needs to stop.

Awesome place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and training, helping children

ConsCommuting to the medical center is not fun!

Beware of the Texas Children's Physician Organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe flexible hours is the only pro

ConsNo equal employment opportunities . If you work in the A/R dept. be prepared to be treated as if you are low class and uneducated within the organization. All higher positions are filled by leaderships friends or family members. Issues or concerns that are brought to employee relations are swept under the rug and never addressed. As long as the revenue is coming Texas Children's does not care about how the employees at the TCPSO is treated by leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Texas Children's review the issues that have been reported to employee relations and have consultants speak with all staff to see what is really going on at the TCPSO.

Good place to work in Houston

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood benefits, good pay. reasonable hours

ConsNot much to say here

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees better

I love my company and job very much!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAcross the spectrum of employees everyone is extremely approachable.

ConsVarious politics but this is with any job

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain approachable and in close contact with your employees. Doing a great job!

Great people if they can fund the positions and projects

Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery good job if you like tons of exposure to different technologies.

ConsProjects are lacking sufficient funding

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport roles need to be maintained by training.

IT Department

IT Director, Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe mission of the hospital is great, helping Children. The Doctors and nursing staff are dedicated to the mission and are very capable, caring and loving to the patients.

ConsThe IT department is managed by nepotism, any attempts to modernize or bring the institution into the 21st century (technology wise) is thwarted. Projects that should be simple drag on for years. Tons of finger pointing; scapegoats are handpicked and fired or badgered into resigning for the unprofessional indiscretions of upper management. The surviving staff stay low and avoid any work that will get them noticed or targeted.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the IT senior management with actual IT professionals instead of the "came up through the ranks" life timers who have plenty of political clout and little to no technical or management skills.

Worked for Texas Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!