Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated September 8, 2014
3.2

Richard A. Hyde

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As good as the state politics permit

Current Employee - Mickey Leland  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mickey Leland in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hardworking, friendly employees, decent pays and benefits, beautiful headquarter campus

Cons

Old office facility, lots of nepotism, frustratingly slow and political bureaucracy

TCEQ- Great place to work, under-paid employees, access to training

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work environment, less stress, no long hours

Cons

Low salaries, less growth opportunities.

Increase pay structure. Structure for faster growth.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

You can learn a lot here and the company is willing to invest in training classes to improve your skills. You also get the opportunity to work with some very smart people who are willing to teach what they know. This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome. There is a stress-free environment and the job is pretty secure while offering many incentives for your longevity. Team Leader's managing styles vary, so depending on your manager this can be an absolutely wonderful job.

Cons

Pay is nearly half of those in the private industry and the latter is a very slow climb. Because the job is secure you may end up working with those who do the bare minimum to get by. Don't expect any financial recognition for your hard work or any extra effort your put into your work.

Increase the presence of incentives, many employees don't put much effort into their work because it makes no difference in their pay or in the security of their job. The yearly performance reviews which are used to grade an employee for consideration on a raise is not a sufficient evaluation as you can only exceed, met or need improvement. Also from the time of your review and the time you receive a raise can sometimes take a year and you'll only get about a 3.5% increase in pay whether you met or exceeded expectations, which is not good enough if they want to keep their employees happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great first job

Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly work environment. There are a lot of learning opportunities and you are constantly learning about new regulatory rules on the job. Vacation is easily accommodated and available and the benefits are great . 40 hour work weeks

Cons

Low pay. Gets slow at times. People are always moving around to different positions or leaving.

For a young attorney looking to get good experience, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting cases.

Current Employee - Staff Attorney  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation and health benefits are great. You have a set work schedule and for the most part, your work hours can be very flexible.

Cons

Pay increases are based on promitions and are not merit based. You are only considered for a promotion every 1 year and 6 months. This is a long time for a salary increase. There are very few opportunities to move into management roles or other positions within the agency.

Increase salaries or provide merit based bonuses. Decrease the length of time to reach the next salary level from 1 year and 6 months to 1 year.

TCEQ

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's not located downtown so you don't have to contend with traffic as much. Overall, not a bad place to work.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative to say. It's no better or worse than any other state agency.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

Cons

Throughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

I would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

New administration is not as favorable to employees.

Former Employee - Enforcement Coordinator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enforcement Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, leave work at the office, good holidays/time off once you pass the 6 months.

Cons

Now it's very difficult to keep the job past the 6 months.

Full of good people, and the agony of slow, inefficient government

Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist III  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you have good management, it can be a fantastic place to work (if you don't mind the pay). Trainings are easy to come by and offered up to employees regularly. The pace of work is nice and easy, if you're into that sort of thing. I work on a great team full of awesome people, which is pretty much the best thing I can say about working there.

Cons

Pay really is much lower than you'd expect. At first you think they just start you off low when you're new--but raises are slow and meager. In short, it'll take years or decades to make the going rate outside the agency.

Pay the market rate for good people. Turn over is high in a lot teams because the pay is so abysmal. If you want to keep good people, you have to pay for it. Even if you're still paying low wages (below market) don't make them so incredibly low.

TCEQ

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist I  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist I in Austin, TX

Pros

You will learn a lot about Texas permitting. TCEQ training programs are some of the best learning programs in Texas permitting. They are willing to work with you when it comes to attaining higher degrees.

Cons

Pay scale is low. They do not have enough offices to house everyone. They place entry level employees in cubes and you can hear your co-works on the phone when talking to clients.

Get pay scale more competitive.

Worked for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality? Contribute to the Community!