Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Richard A. Hyde

Pros
  • This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome (in 5 reviews)

• State insurance, 40 hour work week, and a few more holidays than your friends get (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard (in 8 reviews)

• Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy (in 5 reviews)

1. Years of experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Holiday time off with pay

Cons

have to pay every year for pay flex card

2. Its a job

Pros

Family oriented, very casual, no micromanaging, you can be independent yet in a group setting

Cons

Too much driving in some programs, too much work for little money. Could use more administrative staff they are loaded with work. Favoritism in few occasions but that's just work environment...

Advice to Management

I think for higher effectiveness, people should not be overloaded with work. Higher more people, higher more amin people, have a relationship with all the workers not just a certain few

3. OK

Pros

Good Work Env. fun, laid back, investigations

Cons

Not much to report bad about the tceq except salary.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. Great place to learn about regulations

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

Pros

The people here are incredibly friendly. A very relaxed work environment. Many opportunities to learn as many different classes are offered since the agency is so large.

Cons

Limited to promotions and availability to around due to the economy especially since this is a state regulatory agency paid by the government

6. Government work is great for some and torture to others.

Current Employee - Emissions Evaluator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Emissions Evaluator in Austin, TX

Pros

Lower stress work environment (compared to industry), guaranteed benefits, very stable job (layoffs are non-existant and getting fired is very hard), lots of time off, fair and equal advancement, all the general benefits of working for the state government.

Cons

Slow progress to get stuff done (due to all the review and layers of red tape), recent budget shortcomings, advancement is performance AND time based (cannot climb the ladder any faster than policy states), relatively low pay, low disparity between bottom of the ladder income and top of the ladder income.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for recognition and rewards for a job well done.

TCEQ a decent place to work.

Former Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Overall most supervisors are excellent and so is upper management, however there were some critical issues I'll discuss in criticism section. Opportunity for advancement is available and not to difficult to achieve if you desire the additional responsibility. Really good medical benefits. Flexible hours for certain positions (I worked four days a week supposedly at 40 hours). A great place to start a career.

Cons

Bad and secretive employees. Some coworkers and/or bad management personnel who make damaging accusations without knowing all of the facts. Possible burnout for those who show potential. Pay is horrible compared to equivalent market pay for a consultant or person working in similar capacity. By comparison non-engineers operating as consultants in my similar position made between $55,000-$85,000 for similar background. When I started I earned about $29,000 a year; when I quit about two years later I was earning just over $39,000 a year. I personally did not go to work at TCEQ for the pay, but I certainly got tired of hearing my coworkers complain about it. It's a cubical environment that really felt like I was living in the movie Office Space some days. Failure to recognize the need for and authorize overtime. This directly led to me having to work extended hours to cover projects that needed to be completed. Of course this meant less time with my family and friends and when I did get time off I was exhausted. How convenient , tell a staffer X number of projects must be completed and assign them a couple of challenging projects (politically sensitive ones at that) and when said staffer asks for overtime tell them it's not available, but expect the projects to be completed timely or they get a bad mark on their personnel review. Give me a break management you can't expect to have it both ways.

Advice to Management

Please do not tell a staffer they are coming and going as they please unless you have significant documented evidence. By evidence I mean more than some rumor or allegation from another employee saying "so and so" is not at their desk (and I don't give a damn if that employee is in management). This is stupid considering the level of responsibility and independent latitude required of some positions. Supervisors should never e-mail such an accusation or something that could be interpreted as as such to a staffer, period. Such communication should be dealt with very carefully and with strong evidence. I was told I was "coming and going as I pleased." In fact I was arriving between 6 to 7 a.m. and leaving at 10 to 11 p.m. consistently (my scheduled hours were between 9 am to 7 pm) to complete projects since overtime was not authorized (oh yeah and coming in on my day off and weekends; by day off I mean I was supposed to work 4 days a week at 40 hrs not 6 days at 70 to 90 hrs). I can't help it that I was not always at my desk, but instead at a fax machine, in a meeting with permittees, legal or other TCEQ staff (I was after all trying to do my job). This insult to my professionalism was a critical deciding factor in terminating my employment with TCEQ (in fairness to TCEQ an outside factor was also critical, but the issue of accusing me of less than professional conduct made it really easy for me to leave TCEQ despite many people asking me to stay). Also in fairness to TCEQ I never brought this issue up with my supervisor or management. If I had it would have opened up a huge can of worms and serious legal issues (non-compensated overtime to start with, unfounded accusations against professional character for another) and potentially harmed some really excellent supervisors and managers caught in the crossfire. I decided I did not want to work for TCEQ once I received the accusatory email in conjunction with a personal life issue (an outside factor not related to TCEQ, but equally weighted in deciding to leave TCEQ ). Once I made that decision I did not think it professional to push any nuclear buttons or burn any professional reference bridges. In my case the accusation pissed me off professionally and I quit. TCEQ demanded 110% from me and I gave 150% and I felt like I got slapped in the face and stabbed in the back for my efforts. From my perspective I was putting forth a significant effort to make sure projects were completed in a timely manner. I did not mind the extra effort or overtime, up to a point (I was targeting a management position). That point was when I got told I was playing games with my scheduled hours. The only games I was playing involved working an additional 20 to 30 hours a week off the clock. The end result: I did not lose a good job, TCEQ lost a good employee and I'm not being arrogant. I worked for TCEQ for less than 2 years and saw just over a $10K increase in salary (one being a merit increase) and several promotions not to mention executive management recognition. I'll never work for TCEQ again for numerous reasons (I'm not a cubical jockey for starters), but I hope someone from TCEQ management reads this and takes something useful from it. Find a way to compete with the market in the salary pay department. I know that there were some mandatory legislative pay raises, and I am aware that there are governmental restrictions but this needs to be addressed. Authorize overtime.

8. Air Quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

team work and personal contribution is appreciated

Cons

bureaucracy and too many reviews as in many governmental agencies

Advice to Management

advice

9. Has it's issues, like any place, but a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

Pros

Direct Management is excellent in most regards. Co-workers are generally friendly and respectful I have never been denied a leave request. Plentiful holidays. Most employees have actual offices, not cubes

Cons

Unsure how certain Non-direct management obtained, and maintains employment. Unequal importance placed on program areas due to upper- and mid-management bias. No Windows. Political issues will overturn and dictate certain projects' outcomes... even at the expense of right and wrong.

Advice to Management

I will echo a previous sentiment in a different manner: Work hard and quickly to promote and keep employees who deserve it, eliminate stale leadership, and replace with those who are skilled enough and willing to do a better job.

can be very satisfying -- but depends on your position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

- If you work in a division that does interesting work, your job can be very creative - People are friendly -- generally not petty, overly gossipy, backstabbing - the management in my part of the agency has never been better - some of the high level management are very competent and smart and will (sometimes) rule in your favor on important issues, when you have done your homework, even in matters that are somewhat political - there are some extremely smart people around here -- you can learn very much

Cons

- the highest level of mgmt (Commissioners) are completely political, and essentially a joke (believe global warming is liberal media thing, etc) - you're just not going to make that much money

Advice to Management

You guys are very good. (I'm not talking about the commissioners.)

11. Working for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability Payed holidays Insurance benefits Retirement Annual and sick leave accumulated 8-5 work day

Cons

Low pay compared to commercial jobs No career ladder for this job title

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed