Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Richard A. Hyde

Pros
  • This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome (in 5 reviews)

• State insurance, 40 hour work week, and a few more holidays than your friends get (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard (in 8 reviews)

• Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy (in 5 reviews)

The work is interesting, the work environment leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

If you're just out of school and/or relatively inexperienced, and you feel a career in the environmental field is for you, this is not a bad place to start. You'll be given challenging assignments up front, and the learning curve will be steep depending on the media (Air is significantly more difficult than water, waste, PST, etc). Take advantage of training opportunities that come along, don't stick around too long, and this can be a good way to break into the job market. Older, experienced workers looking for a change may benefit if the right position is available.

Cons

While the work can be interesting and fun, assignments are not distributed evenly. Depending on who you are and who your supervisor is, you may find yourself snowed under while others have comparatively little on their plates. You'll be told its impossible to compare workloads between employees and will be actively discouraged from doing so, for the reason that every investigator/investigation and workload is unique. While that's true to a degree, in my opinion this argument is primarily used to justify significant disparities in productivity and (less obviously) ability. This carries over to raises and promotions as well. Because expectations are not clearly defined, and meaningful metrics lacking, that leaves a great deal of room for politically-motivated, emotion-driven decisionmaking on management's part. Gaming the system--a favorite pastime of both staff and management--to achieve a desired outcome, whether its promoting or torpedoing an employee, is a predictable consequence. In addition, the TCEQ, not unlike most other organizations, promotes people to management positions based not on aptitude, but on longevity/seniority. Needless to say, the effect of all this on employee morale is disastrous. For example, egregious slacking off and time wasting will be overlooked on the part of one employee while another is docked for arriving at work fifteen minutes late. Those who actually produce are told they are sub-par performers and find themselves perpetually behind, whereas others who produce comparatively little are rewarded with lighter workloads and additional perks. Which group will you fall into? If you feel lucky, hire on and take your chances.

Advice to Management

Honestly, there's very little point in proffering advice or feedback to management. They cannot fail to be aware of poor morale and high turnover, but they have either become so inured or are at such a loss about what to do, the prospects for change are extremely poor. If the goal is to create a model Hobbesian "state of nature" in an office setting, management has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

Cons

Throughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

A Sham!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really don't have anything positive to say. Get holidays off that no one has never heard of.

Cons

Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy. Leave science as it is "Science". Employees accumulate sick leave/comp-time, and vacation but get the third degree to use it. No work/life balance at all. Raises, if you buddy buddy with management you will get one. EXTREMELY high turn-over rate for a technical position. If you are an engineer trying to challenge yourself along with pay, this is not the place my friend. Your feelings will be hurt. Career ladder- Stagnant. The best of them all: To do work outside your job description at a higher carrer ladder level, yet getting paid at a lower level. That trumps it.

Advice to Management

Incompetent management. Employees getting their management position on default. Not good. Mid to Upper management have no clue. Needs to pay a little more attention to lower level management. ATTITUDE reflects LEADERSHIP.

5. Bitter Sweet

Former Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, quality trainings, and incredible benefits!

Cons

Prejudice upper management in the Houston office, poor pay, high turn-overs.

last resort employer

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Strictly 8-5, little if any overtime required. Rank and file employees generally quite nice.

Cons

Management from the top down has an anti-science, anti-environmental attitude. Very power hungry, not much integrity, not much personality. In the short time I was there I saw multiple incidents of people being deliberately humiliated.

Advice to Management

Take protecting the environment seriously and treat your employees like human beings. Don't think you can buy people off with a chili cook-off, it doesn't compensate for a lack of respect.

Enjoy Free Time..this is the place for you!

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

"I would not call it work Bob." This place has Office Space written all over it. I gave TCEQ very poor ratings, but it is all relative to what I was used to, for me it was a fast paced environment. This place is kind of a joke, show up, do robotic work, go home..done. I may work a couple of hours a day. I think my quality of life is the highest it has every been outside of work, because there is absolutely no stress.

Cons

Pay - of course who does not say that? Management is terrible. I have worked with many Managers and this group definitely gets promoted simply because they have been with the Agency for at least 10 years. Everyone I come into contact with is bitter about working here, but the common denominator is we all enjoy our time outside of work.

Advice to Management

Please..you know and everyone else knows you don't have any leadership qualities to lead a team.

Well just like employees have performance reviews so do companies...........

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Benefits (Health insurance, pension, 401K.....) is normal, and holiday pay is okay. Stablility

Cons

I would not tell anyone to work here unless this is the ONLY option. If you have a degree higher than what the job requires than either you will be left dissatisfied, yearning for more,or the more popular veered as a threat. The pay is extremely low versus private sector. Especially engineering specialist position. Its actually an insult. That is the main reason why I would never apply to that particular position. Raises are only given by performance and if the budget permits. Communication in the Water Division is a lack there of between employees, trainers, supervisors and managers. Trainers don't train properly or you will get "I don't know", so the new guy is left figuring it out, it will take time to figure it out but when it comes time for your performance review beware. You are left either thinking they really don't know or its a setup for you not to advance. Management has a tendancy to think they state issues relevant to the job when they really don't. Emails will be your best friend.....Too much finger pointing. They buy equipment they don't use, waste of money in my opinion. I even tried to recommend job postings to friends, and they even saw the writing on the wall. Apply to this company at your own risk. Lots of redtape. This company just goes through the motions. Oh and if you work overtime, there is no overtime pay, they have compensatory time=vacation time. The reviews here are no lie.

Advice to Management

Don't get me started. Employees work hard to not only feed their families, but take pride in their work. But yet management continues to belittle work ethics of employees especially when it aids to the advancement and quality of the work in the company. Communication is extremely poor and it is very obvious. I wish I could give an example, but it would give it away.

Ready to move on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

There are nice co workers.

Cons

Air section lacks in proper training.

Advice to Management

Train employees rather than have them do it the wrong way, then show employees the correct way of doing the task. Treat us respectfully. We work very hard for you with very little pay.

The song remains the same....

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

Good opportunity to learn various media (air, water, and waste); decent benefits; good work schedule and many paid holidays.

Cons

There are many negatives. A lack of consistency, well-defined standards, and clearly stated expectations are just a few. There are great disparities in the way employees are treated and in management styles. In the year plus since I posted my original feedback, the situation has deteriorated somewhat. Currently going through a mass exodus of personnel now that economy appears to be rebounding.

Advice to Management

Area/Regional Management has recently been shown the door. Not clear yet how this change or the recent appointment of Zak Covar to Executive Director will impact the day-to-day work activities in the Regions.

11. Unrewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

State insurance, 40 hour work week, and a few more holidays than your friends get. Morons apparently have great job security at TCEQ.

Cons

Crap salary. If your manager is crap too, get used to it -- a lot of people stick around so they can get the retirement benefits. I don't blame them for making that rational decision, but I can blame them for being lazy, inconsistent, unappreciative, stodgy, and generally uninterested in doing anything that would lift then above the the low side of mediocre. It's not their fault that we're underpaid -- that's the nature of the beast -- but I get the sense that employee morale is not a major concern. People in the private sector may have to occasionally endure silly team-building exercises, but at least those sorts of things are intended for the purposes of morale and, yes, productivity. In my experience, TCEQ barely even makes token attempts to humanize the workplace. I had more job satisfaction working retail as a teenager... but health insurance doesn't pay for itself, so to the endless grey cubicles we must go. Obviously there's political crap governing the agency, since the commissioners are appointed by the Governor. Headlines about the agency are always depressing.

Advice to Management

Solicit, consider, and respond to feedback. Treat employees consistently -- productivity expectations, job responsibilities, supervision, etc. If you think you're not paid enough, just remember that your employees are worse off, and that they have a very small chance of advancement. It may be a plodding, inefficient state agency, but that doesn't mean that your management style needs to be plodding and inefficient too. Remember that, particularly in departments with a wide range of ages, you may need to directly address generational issues. The workforce may be predominantly middle-aged, but that doesn't excuse sexist, insensitive, or unprofessional behavior. There are plenty of ways to make employees feel valued, so quit hiding behind low food budgets and find other ways to express appreciation. Genuine praise goes a long way.

RSS Feed </> Embed