Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Richard A. Hyde

Pros
  • This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, especially for a single individual (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard (in 8 reviews)

• Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None .... From what I can tell, besides maybe the benefits these people get for working for the state of Texas.

Cons

Everything that I listed above. And I you try to call these people they act like you are interrupting their whole day. Heaven forbid you ask them to get something done.

Stop playing good ol boy so work can actually get done.

A Sham!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really don't have anything positive to say. Get holidays off that no one has never heard of.

Cons

Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy. Leave science as it is "Science". Employees accumulate sick leave/comp-time, and vacation but get the third degree to use it.
     No work/life balance at all. Raises, if you buddy buddy with management you will get one.
    EXTREMELY high turn-over rate for a technical position.
     If you are an engineer trying to challenge yourself along with pay, this is not the place my friend. Your feelings will be hurt.
    Career ladder- Stagnant.
    The best of them all: To do work outside your job description at a higher carrer ladder level, yet getting paid at a lower level. That trumps it.

Incompetent management. Employees getting their management position on default. Not good. Mid to Upper management have no clue. Needs to pay a little more attention to lower level management.
    ATTITUDE reflects LEADERSHIP.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

Cons

Throughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

I would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

Well just like employees have performance reviews so do companies...........

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Benefits (Health insurance, pension, 401K.....) is normal, and holiday pay is okay. Stablility

Cons

I would not tell anyone to work here unless this is the ONLY option. If you have a degree higher than what the job requires than either you will be left dissatisfied, yearning for more,or the more popular veered as a threat. The pay is extremely low versus private sector. Especially engineering specialist position. Its actually an insult. That is the main reason why I would never apply to that particular position. Raises are only given by performance and if the budget permits. Communication in the Water Division is a lack there of between employees, trainers, supervisors and managers. Trainers don't train properly or you will get "I don't know", so the new guy is left figuring it out, it will take time to figure it out but when it comes time for your performance review beware. You are left either thinking they really don't know or its a setup for you not to advance. Management has a tendancy to think they state issues relevant to the job when they really don't. Emails will be your best friend.....Too much finger pointing. They buy equipment they don't use, waste of money in my opinion. I even tried to recommend job postings to friends, and they even saw the writing on the wall. Apply to this company at your own risk. Lots of redtape. This company just goes through the motions. Oh and if you work overtime, there is no overtime pay, they have compensatory time=vacation time. The reviews here are no lie.

Don't get me started. Employees work hard to not only feed their families, but take pride in their work. But yet management continues to belittle work ethics of employees especially when it aids to the advancement and quality of the work in the company. Communication is extremely poor and it is very obvious. I wish I could give an example, but it would give it away.

The work is interesting, the work environment leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

If you're just out of school and/or relatively inexperienced, and you feel a career in the environmental field is for you, this is not a bad place to start. You'll be given challenging assignments up front, and the learning curve will be steep depending on the media (Air is significantly more difficult than water, waste, PST, etc). Take advantage of training opportunities that come along, don't stick around too long, and this can be a good way to break into the job market. Older, experienced workers looking for a change may benefit if the right position is available.

Cons

While the work can be interesting and fun, assignments are not distributed evenly. Depending on who you are and who your supervisor is, you may find yourself snowed under while others have comparatively little on their plates. You'll be told its impossible to compare workloads between employees and will be actively discouraged from doing so, for the reason that every investigator/investigation and workload is unique. While that's true to a degree, in my opinion this argument is primarily used to justify significant disparities in productivity and (less obviously) ability. This carries over to raises and promotions as well. Because expectations are not clearly defined, and meaningful metrics lacking, that leaves a great deal of room for politically-motivated, emotion-driven decisionmaking on management's part. Gaming the system--a favorite pastime of both staff and management--to achieve a desired outcome, whether its promoting or torpedoing an employee, is a predictable consequence. In addition, the TCEQ, not unlike most other organizations, promotes people to management positions based not on aptitude, but on longevity/seniority. Needless to say, the effect of all this on employee morale is disastrous. For example, egregious slacking off and time wasting will be overlooked on the part of one employee while another is docked for arriving at work fifteen minutes late. Those who actually produce are told they are sub-par performers and find themselves perpetually behind, whereas others who produce comparatively little are rewarded with lighter workloads and additional perks. Which group will you fall into? If you feel lucky, hire on and take your chances.

Honestly, there's very little point in proffering advice or feedback to management. They cannot fail to be aware of poor morale and high turnover, but they have either become so inured or are at such a loss about what to do, the prospects for change are extremely poor. If the goal is to create a model Hobbesian "state of nature" in an office setting, management has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Enjoy Free Time..this is the place for you!

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

"I would not call it work Bob." This place has Office Space written all over it. I gave TCEQ very poor ratings, but it is all relative to what I was used to, for me it was a fast paced environment. This place is kind of a joke, show up, do robotic work, go home..done. I may work a couple of hours a day. I think my quality of life is the highest it has every been outside of work, because there is absolutely no stress.

Cons

Pay - of course who does not say that? Management is terrible. I have worked with many Managers and this group definitely gets promoted simply because they have been with the Agency for at least 10 years. Everyone I come into contact with is bitter about working here, but the common denominator is we all enjoy our time outside of work.

Please..you know and everyone else knows you don't have any leadership qualities to lead a team.

A place to get experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can have opportunities to take classes. It's secure. Good work life/balance.

Cons

Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard. Advancement can be hard.

The bad, the good and the ugly

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

Opportunity to learn about how regulation of water, waste and air works in the State of Texas. Seemingly endless training opportunities

Cons

Narrow mindedness. Failure to see potentials. Bad salary. Lack of opportunity for growth.

Are they interested in listening. I won't waste my time.

TCEQ

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Job happiness greatly depends on the department you're working in. Benefits of being a state employee are nice. Trainings and professional development are usually made available. Work life balance is good. A lot of hiring from within and various departments to find the best fit.

Cons

Upper management is pretty out of touch with the rest of staff. There can be a lot of impersonal / robotic interactions. While the work in some departments DO help the State of Texas/its people, others, are definitely affected by the Commissioner's and politicians' bureaucratic agenda - like Industrial and Hazardous Waste.

Have a backbone and promote those that do their job well. General encouragement is lacking. Better salaries (as most have said) would also be welcomed.

Bitter sweet

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Lots of time off
    Sick time
    Flexibility somewhat depending on your section manager

Cons

Low pay which is expected. But they have taken away all of the good that outweigh the low pay. Benefits are not good at all and are decreasing with each legislative year. No incentive to stay. Turnover rate will cont to increase and knowledge walks out of the door with it.

They promote supervisors and managers based on favoritism or bc they completed the leadership program. My managers don't even know or understand what we do. I am new and need clear direction. This agency lacks consistency in how things are done. Instead of following sops managers tend to be indecisive and change decisions about the same thing often. Reports lack consistency. They make you feel replaceable and do not see the full potential of each employee with the experience they bring. Managers talk to people disrespectfully sometimes and well...what can they do? Nothing. This job is a trap and waste of time unless you have a specific goal of learning regulations and getting out.

Stop hiring people straight out of college for positions where they need experience to do the job. Take out the time to ask your employees about their supervisors and managers. They need to be rated as well.