Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Richard A. Hyde

Intern at Region 6

Intern (Former Employee)
El Paso, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearned about the different groups (Air, Water, and Waste) and all the required permits for an entity to operate. Lots of travel to different sites and see things first hand. Really got to do work as a regular full time employee. Though I was an intern, I was able to conduct investigations and write reports. The employees were great and always willing to help.

ConsSmall office and slow at times. Really easy to fall behind and have work pile up if not up to day with things.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more involvement in the day to day agenda of the interns.

TCEQ

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's not located downtown so you don't have to contend with traffic as much. Overall, not a bad place to work.

ConsCan't think of anything negative to say. It's no better or worse than any other state agency.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Administrative (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

ConsThroughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

For a young attorney looking to get good experience, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting cases.

Staff Attorney (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVacation and health benefits are great. You have a set work schedule and for the most part, your work hours can be very flexible.

ConsPay increases are based on promitions and are not merit based. You are only considered for a promotion every 1 year and 6 months. This is a long time for a salary increase. There are very few opportunities to move into management roles or other positions within the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries or provide merit based bonuses. Decrease the length of time to reach the next salary level from 1 year and 6 months to 1 year.

New administration is not as favorable to employees.

Enforcement Coordinator (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsGood benefits, leave work at the office, good holidays/time off once you pass the 6 months.

ConsNow it's very difficult to keep the job past the 6 months.

Full of good people, and the agony of slow, inefficient government

Natural Resource Specialist III (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you have good management, it can be a fantastic place to work (if you don't mind the pay). Trainings are easy to come by and offered up to employees regularly. The pace of work is nice and easy, if you're into that sort of thing. I work on a great team full of awesome people, which is pretty much the best thing I can say about working there.

ConsPay really is much lower than you'd expect. At first you think they just start you off low when you're new--but raises are slow and meager. In short, it'll take years or decades to make the going rate outside the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the market rate for good people. Turn over is high in a lot teams because the pay is so abysmal. If you want to keep good people, you have to pay for it. Even if you're still paying low wages (below market) don't make them so incredibly low.

Intern at TCEQ

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern

ProsFlexible time, laid back environment, decent pay, nice team leaders, comfortable workplace. Overall, it was an okay experience.

ConsEnvironment was a bit too laid back, and a little boring. Work wasn't as challenging and hands on as I would have imagined.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

TCEQ

Engineering Specialist I (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsYou will learn a lot about Texas permitting. TCEQ training programs are some of the best learning programs in Texas permitting. They are willing to work with you when it comes to attaining higher degrees.

ConsPay scale is low. They do not have enough offices to house everyone. They place entry level employees in cubes and you can hear your co-works on the phone when talking to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet pay scale more competitive.

Working for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Contract Specialist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 8 years

ProsJob stability
Payed holidays
Insurance benefits
Retirement
Annual and sick leave accumulated
8-5 work day

ConsLow pay compared to commercial jobs
No career ladder for this job title

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

overall good experience during my less than 1 year

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Prosnice working environment and nice people

Conslack of transparency, no clear strategy

Worked for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality CEO Richard A. Hyde. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Texas Commission on Environmental Quality employees.