Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
3.2

Richard A. Hyde

Overall a good place to work. Decent career or nice place to obtain some experience.

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a family so by far the biggest reason to stay is the time off and ability and flexibility to make the work-life balance happen.
    Retirement and health insurance are nice.
    Pretty good training opportunities.

Cons

Management from top to bottom, with a few exceptions, is very lacking. VERY MUCH a good ole boy system. Either political favorites (favors) or those employees that have been there the longest get promoted and raises. Not much put into selecting the best qualified. Makes for a disturbing and strained boss-employee relationship.
    Salary is very stagnant, especaially after a few years when you reach the top of the career ladder.
    Many decisions are made to appease industry that is politically connected. Very unethical at times.

Forget trying to appease people and do the right thing. Conflict is our business. Lets just make it righteous conflict instead of trying to avoid doing our job as an agency.

Great first job

Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment. There are a lot of learning opportunities and you are constantly learning about new regulatory rules on the job. Vacation is easily accommodated and available and the benefits are great . 40 hour work weeks

Cons

Low pay. Gets slow at times. People are always moving around to different positions or leaving.

My experience is neutral at this point in my career.

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

I am neutral on this particular pros.

Cons

I am neutral on this particular con.

Intern at Region 6

Former Employee - Intern in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in El Paso, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned about the different groups (Air, Water, and Waste) and all the required permits for an entity to operate. Lots of travel to different sites and see things first hand. Really got to do work as a regular full time employee. Though I was an intern, I was able to conduct investigations and write reports. The employees were great and always willing to help.

Cons

Small office and slow at times. Really easy to fall behind and have work pile up if not up to day with things.

A little more involvement in the day to day agenda of the interns.

A Sham!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really don't have anything positive to say. Get holidays off that no one has never heard of.

Cons

Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy. Leave science as it is "Science". Employees accumulate sick leave/comp-time, and vacation but get the third degree to use it.
     No work/life balance at all. Raises, if you buddy buddy with management you will get one.
    EXTREMELY high turn-over rate for a technical position.
     If you are an engineer trying to challenge yourself along with pay, this is not the place my friend. Your feelings will be hurt.
    Career ladder- Stagnant.
    The best of them all: To do work outside your job description at a higher carrer ladder level, yet getting paid at a lower level. That trumps it.

Incompetent management. Employees getting their management position on default. Not good. Mid to Upper management have no clue. Needs to pay a little more attention to lower level management.
    ATTITUDE reflects LEADERSHIP.

For a young attorney looking to get good experience, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting cases.

Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation and health benefits are great. You have a set work schedule and for the most part, your work hours can be very flexible.

Cons

Pay increases are based on promitions and are not merit based. You are only considered for a promotion every 1 year and 6 months. This is a long time for a salary increase. There are very few opportunities to move into management roles or other positions within the agency.

Increase salaries or provide merit based bonuses. Decrease the length of time to reach the next salary level from 1 year and 6 months to 1 year.

TCEQ

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's not located downtown so you don't have to contend with traffic as much. Overall, not a bad place to work.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative to say. It's no better or worse than any other state agency.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

Cons

Throughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

I would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

New administration is not as favorable to employees.

Former Employee - Enforcement Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enforcement Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, leave work at the office, good holidays/time off once you pass the 6 months.

Cons

Now it's very difficult to keep the job past the 6 months.

TCEQ

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot about Texas permitting. TCEQ training programs are some of the best learning programs in Texas permitting. They are willing to work with you when it comes to attaining higher degrees.

Cons

Pay scale is low. They do not have enough offices to house everyone. They place entry level employees in cubes and you can hear your co-works on the phone when talking to clients.

Get pay scale more competitive.