Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services

Updated February 11, 2015
3.1

CEO

Enjoy travel opportunities

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, various opportunities for training,

Cons

salary not comparable. sometimes hostile environment.

Listen to feedback from employees

Good Salary/Benefits, Feel Marginalized by Upper Mgmt

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid pay, good benefits, flexible with time-off for family and medical trips, my department in particular would do a lot to help you attend useful training, and reimburse you for certification and education expenses. My department was also small, which cemented close relationships with coworkers. Personalization of your work environment was encouraged as well, which allowed you to make your work environment as comfortable as you wanted.

Cons

As a state agency, it's difficult to get any changes made to processes and programs unless it draws negative public attention. Expect a lot of lip service, and very little action.

Executives and directors - please listen to your employees, we have a lot to offer.

Beware the future restructuring of the Enterprise, as redundant processes are going to get oursourced!

It was very challenging but also very difficult to learn.

Former Employee - Disability Claims Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Disability Claims Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I received excellent training at this job initially. I learned a lot of medical terminology and the functions of the body. I performed very well on the testing, never scoring below a 97%. The book learning and explanation I received from the initial training during the first three weeks were superb. My supervisor, Mr. Kalkofen, was also very kind and patient. He was a rules man-no employee could come in past 8:00am-but I admired how maintained discipline among us.

Cons

After doing so well on my initial training, I had high hopes for becoming a great disability examiner but, unfortunately, I was stuck with an impatient, horrible trainer. I was not the only one who complained. Others complained about this trainer as well and asked to be transferred but to no avail so I figured I'd be stuck with this curmudgeon as well. She was a very confusing trainer and, as soon as she opened her mouth, I forgot all the training I had learned during the first three weeks. To her benefit, she never suggested that I be fired but suggested that I return to training. At that point, I decided to look for another job. However, had I had more competent teacher of a training, I might have learned the job.

The top management is par excellence. My direct supervisor was very complimentary toward me and praised me on my good grades during the initial training. He was kind, gracious and very sweet. However, he was a man of the rules: if I came into work at 8:01, that was considered late. However, a good manager instills discipline in their employees and this is what I needed. My advice to my supervisor is that he he keep a better eye on his trainers because not all of them are up to par and are poor teachers. He should also listen to those employees who are continuously complaining about the ineffectiveness of the same trainer.

no one to help you

Former Employee - Lvn and II Rns in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Lvn and II Rns in Denton, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salary and insurance Job is not taxing and is easy

Cons

They put targets on your back if you taalk bak and they retaiate against you since 2011 3 of us have had this done to ussince 2011. One was verbally assulted and forced to give up licence and broke into medical records

management does not stick up for emplyoees They did not let people have Fmla. They put people in rubber rummers for monts without telling them the acusations

Ineffective job specific training for professional staff.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Great benefits, awesome residents, great co-workers

Cons

Lack of specific job training, three weeks of general orientation that is completely non-specific to the position for which you were hired, people that have been there for decades are very rigid and unreceptive to change.

If a new nurse seems to be struggling with a large workload, ask if they need further training. Do not assume that someone is prepared to be on their own after one or two days of job specific orientation.

"Throw under the bus..."

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services

Pros

Money, benefits , training and some employees will get bonus points for travel and hotels.

Cons

Poor management; mean co-workers and a dirty environment (dirty carpet, little housekeeping); minimal HR power.

You are responsible for making sure employees are mentored in a positive environment.

Case manger for a home of highly behavioral young men

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Great co-workers, wonderful individuals to provide services to

Cons

Horrible training , unhealthy supervision, hostile work environment

Complacent, low employee retention, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services full-time

Pros

Not much to recommend. Decent benefits and number of work holidays. Some ability to flex work time.

Cons

Management doesn't have much direction, and talent isn't valued or nurtured. There are numerous meetings with no purpose or results. Employees seem bored, unmotivated, and unchallenged, and take little pride in work performance. This is government at its worst.

Comfy State Job

Former Employee - Clerk III in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk III in Harlingen, TX

Pros

Comfy state job with good benefits.

Cons

No cons encountered while working for DADS

hold team building meetings often.

Organization and time management are a must to be successful!

I have been working at Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services

Pros

Benefits and holidays are pretty decent. In my position I get additional travel pay, which cushions my salary. I feel like I get to make a difference.

Cons

The clients are mostly nice and appreciative, but there are a few bad apples. I wish I got paid more. Sometimes I have to cover extra case loads, which can get a little stressful.