Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Texas Department of Criminal Justice Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are great when management lets you use them and the work never stops so there is job security (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits, Job security, Experience (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The major con while being employed at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice would have to be the low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Backstabbing upper management, different policy enforcement at each unit (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The job is very demanding and fast paced.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer V  in  Colorado City, TX
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer V in Colorado City, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay, and benefits. Decent hours when not doing O/T.

Cons

Sometime they expect 1 person to do the work of 2 or 3.

Stop doing promotions from good ole boys and set a test of knowledge for supervisors. Then board the top 4 or 5.

Awesome employer

Current Employee - Correctional Officer I  in  Livingston, TX
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer I in Livingston, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best benefits from a US and State employer.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep up the good work

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Pros

Free meals, laundry, haircuts, oh and free medical.

Cons

You may die at any moment

Raise, and I don't mean the little 5% that barely covers the hike in medical for families. I mean boost us up to the rest of the co'$ pay with? I dunno, maybe 40%? That number should ring a bell.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Discriminatory, Good Ole' Boy Cronyism is the Rule and not the exception.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like being passed over for opportunities simply because you don't belong to the established good ole' boy network, then this is the place for you. If you like to work hard and not be rewarded for your contributions and effort, only to see those few opportunities passed on to the cronies, you'll love it at the TDCJ. Harassment and discrimination is allowed against any who do not fit the mold of the yes-man.

Cons

Taking pride in your work is never encouraged or rewarded. Politics and maintaining the status-quo, no matter how wasteful or useless the practice, is strongly encouraged if that is what the leadership has established as the precedent. To go against that system will make you a target, and you will be harassed or set up for failure, and eventually outed.

Overhaul the entire state program or privatise it so that normal economic pressures are laid to bear, only then will the TDCJ be forced to innovate, thereby forcing them to qualify for and earn the tax payers dollars which currently sustain it.

Tedious

Current Employee - CO IV  in  Bonham, TX
    Current Employee - CO IV in Bonham, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the state benefits are great

Cons

dealing with inmates is at times horrible

pay more

State jobs have good benefits

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Palestine, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Palestine, TX

Pros

Good benefits, holidays off, the state has to have a good reason to fire you

Cons

Office politics, gossip, watching supervisors get away with messed up practices

Practice professionalism, ethics, and treat everyone fairly regardless of personal feelings

Outstanding Benefits

Current Employee - Correctional Officer III  in  Gatesville, TX
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer III in Gatesville, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than a year

Pros

In today's economic climate, a job with benefits is the exception. TDCJ has great benefits which, in my opinion, offset the relatively low salary rate. Four days on Four days off--every four days I feel like I've taken a mini vacation. I LOVE having four days off. Uniforms--all are provided so you don't need to buy a work wardrobe. Dry Cleaning---FREE. Work Climate: Outstanding for my facility. I LOVE working at my facility. But then again, there is a 6 year waiting list for people to transfer to it. Other units do not have such a great reputation....

Cons

The work involves the dregs of Texas society. They are very unpleasant people. Nasty and evil. As long as officers do their jobs well and are firm, fair, and consistent everything will work out.

A salary increase would help.

THE CHEAPEST AND WORST AGENCY TO WORK FOR

Current Employee - Lieutenant of Correctional Officers  in  Richmond, TX
    Current Employee - Lieutenant of Correctional Officers in Richmond, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

absolutely none, Everything is a lie, except for the steady monthly pay you will receive exactly every month.

Cons

Working conditions, There is no A/C. Mandatory retirement plan no options here, The home for heroes program is a lie, there is absolutely no one that wants to work with this program, if you are a veteran you are better off going through them, Will work more than 60 hours a week and still get straight pay. Does not pay Holiday time. They will make you work mandatory overtime and then adjust you schedule, inconvenience you, in order for you not to accrue any overtime. you will be assaulted by the inmates and this agency is so cheap and sorry, that you could be in the hospital dying and they will try to fight you in order for you not to be able to get worker's compensation. you are expendable, they don't care about you or your family, Promotion system is a joke, anybody gets promoted, no skills necessary, no previous experience, no education, all you have to do is go up for the interview a couple of times and you'll get it. technology is behind by 20 years without exaggerating. I repeat no exaggeration this agency is so cheap that their technology resources is behind by 20 years. you can only bring a ONE GALLON bag of food and drinks to consume while you are at work, nothing else.

Be more conscious about the people working there, this job is supposed to pay twice what you are paying right now. You have security guards in Texas making more money than Correctional Officers.
    Create more incentives to recognize the good work some people do for the agency. Not that joke of ribbon you have for COV's. Overall just pay the people what you are suppose to be paying to do this job. Provide more training and education. This should at least be an incentive or perk provided by the agency to pay for some education for the correctional officer.

Not a Good Place to Keep Working!

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gained valuable experience in my field. Worked in the legal field in the Office of General Counsel. When I started I had no legal experience in the legal field and I am thankful for having been able to obtain that experience there.

Cons

One of my supervisors, at the time, had NO...I mean NO legal education or experience. He was a disaster as a supervisor in the legal field. I found it to be a very hostile work environment. However, proving that in a court of law is quite another story. If you are not in certain clicks, you will be picked on. Upper management allows lower management and subordinates to misbehave quite badly and they really do not do anything about it. Not a good place to work. Little respect and honor shown.

Allow some exorcisms to be performed on most of you. No, I am not kidding. Disipline the trouble makers even if they are attorneys.

TDCJ Employment

Former Employee - Laundry Manager II  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Laundry Manager II in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits. The state ensures you contribute to a retirement plan. The money is automatically taken from your pay each month. As you get a pay raise, the amount increases. Most people don't think about their future and this is a great way to plan for it. Great chance for promotions, can work most anywhere in the state.

Cons

Stressful environment, policy changes frequently, hours can be a bit crazy.

Worked for Texas Department of Criminal Justice? Contribute to the Community!