Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Texas Department of Criminal Justice Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are great when management lets you use them and the work never stops so there is job security (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits, Job security, Experience (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The major con while being employed at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice would have to be the low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Backstabbing upper management, different policy enforcement at each unit (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

corrections officer

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice for more than a year

Pros

job security in a tough economic enviornment

Cons

less pay for the work performed.

Good benefits, crazy hours and horrible supervisors.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time

Pros

The benefits were the only reason I worked here. The pay schedule was horrible, and the pay was mediocre. I worked back before the state wide pay raise.

Cons

Staff, supervisors, very immature "sergeants" captains weren't willing to fix problems that were brought to them, the schedule was very strict. Was required to work a different shift that was advertised.

Overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Parole Officer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Parole Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping others achieved their goals and objectives can be challenging at times.

Cons

We have a caseload over the required of 70 parolees; however the count is way over the quota and not very effective due to the demands and many things may go wrong and timing is of essence and the time constraints datelines to meet. The pay is way low, especially when the Top Executives gave $300,000 bonuses to themselves and other executives did not get paid less than $100,000, while we get a $50.00 pay raise. Also, we have been certified as ACA for the American Correctional Association, which classifies us a LAW ENFORCEMENT just like the rest of the other states. That means a 40% pay increase should follow and it has not yet been paid to us.

Practice what you preach. If you are able to reward yourselves with extravagant bonuses and yet you reward the those who are the backbone of what protects public safety. Then, we should get the 40% pay raise as law enforcement. What is good for the geese is also good for the gander.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trust No One

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Pros

Benefits, Job security, Experience. Stepping stone into criminal justice field. If you are part of the "in crowd" you may get to promote faster, and have nice duty stations.

Cons

Cheaters, Snakes, Employees will stab you in the back. Some units have no heat and no air conditioning. You will be locked up with inmates most of the day. You may become an inmate yourself. Lots of employees sleeping with each other and the inmates.

Hire those with degrees to be supervisors. Don't promote your friends and family if they are not qualified. Stop sleeping with the officers.

Great place to get a start if you want to get your foot in the door and looks great on resume

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Pros

easy job and looks great on resume, can get by on this job even if you are not a tough guy or girl, just do your job and you will be fine. i would take the job and keep looking though

Cons

sucks working with offenders and the officers are really unprofessional and act ghetto. Also, its really hard to move up at first even if you have a degree. I went up for a board interview two times and got turned down because i was too new though i qualified and did good in interview. As far as working as a regular officer the captains and lieutenants show a lot of favoritism toward people they are friends with. They are so bad with this to the point that i would almost say the entire agency is becoming racist because the whole unit is virtually overthrown by a certain race.Also, they primarily let women do the easy jobs and men get stuck on the worst part of the unit. Good luck if you are white, i started OJT with some black guys and women and they are already working in turnout, gatehouse one, OM gate, and i am still on a pod. Even the other officers i work with see the favoritism. I assure you i never call in and or am late to work; even i i was, these officers they give these post to are always late and call in constantly.

stop showing favoritism and start diversifying the stiles unit and putting male officers on the desk more and on central control. Men are more then capable of doing these jobs

intrigueing

Current Employee - Correctional Officer V  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer V in Houston, TX

Pros

good benefit in terms of medical, unemployment insurance

Cons

could be dangerous depending on the unit you are asigned

listen to officers at the unit level

Parole Officer, 1998

Former Employee - Parole Officer  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Parole Officer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sometimes see people turn their life around, other times see them make the same mistakes.
    Job is stable, good benefits, state retirement

Cons

A negative work environment, begin to expect the worst from people. Tenured officers, often jaded, and negative. Sometimes demeaning, watching parolee's do UA test, etc.

Its a job

I have been working at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time

Pros

Benifits, 4 days on 4 days off

Cons

inmates, co workers, rank, pay, conditions

If you have any type of work ethic or drive, stay away from TDCJ.

Former Employee - Lieutenant of Correctional Officers  in  Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Lieutenant of Correctional Officers in Abilene, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only pro I can think of is, at the end of ones life when they look back on the experiences they have had, they could say I survived one of the most miserable places to work.

Cons

Poor quality of employees. Low pay. Poor management that gets worse each year. Being a state agency, you are at the mercy of political agendas from elected officials.

Most of the managers now only care about themselves and those who stroke their ego. their is no advice they would be willing to hear, so why bother.

Horrible, negative environment from coworkers more so than inmates

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II  in  Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Criminal Justice full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is ok, but the mandatory overtime kinda equals out to make the pay not so great.

Cons

Working in a prison is enough

I don't think anything will help, its just the condition of the business of corrections

Worked for Texas Department of Criminal Justice? Contribute to the Community!