Texas Department of Family and Protective Services

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Howard Baldwin

Pros
  • The best thing is getting the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of families, and help break the cycle of abuse and neglect (in 5 reviews)

• It's awesome to be able to help families, and ensure that they gain the knowledge and tools to reduce risk of abuse and neglect in their homes (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours terrible managers, STRESS (in 7 reviews)

• Absolutely no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Child Protective Services

Current Employee - Human Service Technician in Avon, OH
    Current Employee - Human Service Technician in Avon, OH

I have been working at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Excellent opportunities Flexible hours room for advancement

Cons

Longs hours a lot of traveling A lot of removal of children from families

Advice to Management

NA

2. Foster care eleibility worker specialis II

Current Employee - Foster Care Eligibility Specialist II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Foster Care Eligibility Specialist II in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great company to work for. Wonderful benefits and retirement package

Cons

Salary is below average for most companies. Turn over is to high.people leave the agency due to pay, and case loads are to high.

Advice to Management

Increase salary cap

3. Great entry level position

Current Employee - Child Care Licensing Inspector in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Child Care Licensing Inspector in Houston, TX

Pros

Working as a CCL inspector has been a great experience. You get to create your own schedule, flexible work hours, and work from home. The flexibility of this position is single handedly the best part of this position. The benifits are great and they include free health insurance. Overall my experience with management has been pleasant. I feel that management is easily available and supportive when it comes to my caseload. Great coworkers and very little work place drama.

Cons

The number one con of this position is the salary! There is just no way to comftorably live off of our salary, single or with a family. The number one reason that people leave the agency is because of the pay and the growing work load. hard work and little pay doesn't equal longevity. Another con is the wear & tear on your vehicle, which can be really depressing because if something were to happen to your car, you most likely won't be able to afford to fix it or get a new one. The next con is that raises are nonexistent and when they do finally come they suck! The only real opportunity for financial growth with this agency is a promotion and to get promoted your expected to work for 3 plus years just to be considered. I can list a few more cons but the ultimate con is the pay! I would love to work for this agency forever but unfortunately I can't if I ever want to bring home more than 2gs!

Advice to Management

Quality work & staff doesn't come cheap!

5. Family Based Safety Services Specialist

Pros

Helping families become stronger. Ability to make your own schedule. State holidays. Increase in pay with each certification to change your specialist number.

Cons

Working late nights/weekends and being on call. Unsupportive management. At times feeling like we were setting families up to fail with unrealistic expectations that were not standard across the board. FBSS is under-appreciated as a department.

Advice to Management

Competency in a management role is key.

6. FBSS Specialist

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits, they offered free medical to all of their employee's as well as affordable dental and vision.

Cons

Long hours, there were certain times where I would find myself working 12 hours a day

Advice to Management

N/A

7. State does not think about the children

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co workers were team players and we supported each other. There is a lot of training to refresh your knowledge.

Cons

Manager show favorism with other co workers. Managers said they have your back but will throw you under the bus quickly when a issue comes up. Get paid once a month.

Avoid if you can

Current Employee - CPS Investigator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - CPS Investigator in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule, some great co workers if you are helpful.

Cons

The hours are not 8 to 5. You have to give up valuable time with your family for others. If you do not have a good supervisor you are doomed. Training academy is nothing like the field.

Advice to Management

Management needs to work on leadership skills as well as other skills and critque those persons. have a neutral person in the interview when selecting supervisors/PA/ PD

DFPS

Former Employee - Child Protective Services
    Former Employee - Child Protective Services

I worked at Texas Department of Family and Protective Services full-time

Pros

Learned a lot of information about families and how to deal with high stressful situations.

Cons

Too many cases too keep up.'

Advice to Management

Help new employees. Start mentor program.

10. Investigations Review

Current Employee - CPS Investigator II in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - CPS Investigator II in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Job security. Free healthcare for you (not your family.)

Cons

Underpaid. Overworked. The company would rather not pay out OT which is hard earned money and would rather you take the time off. The penalty for making a mistake is scary; not only will you get fired but you may also get criminally prosecuted. Hard to balance work and personal life. Poor management. Policies that don't always apply to every single unique family out there. Very expensive healthcare for dependents or family. Very high mandatory contribution to state retirement program (6.8%).

Advice to Management

Focus on child safety in a realistic way NOT in a checklist way.

11. Great entry level job

Pros

Free medical for single employees. Co workers are friendly. Relaxed environment but can get busy fast.

Cons

Messy environment. No room for advancement in that particular job. No instruction basically a trial and error type environment. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Become more knowledgeable on state policies or be willing to get information.

RSS Feed </> Embed