Texas Department of Public Safety

Customer Service Rep II

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech II  in  Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech II in Bryan, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved everything about my job; from assisting customers and to the constant changes

Cons

Personality difference in Supervisor and The Lead

To always treat employees equally. No matter what the issue is.

Tough Environment.

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are great! Mission is vital

Cons

Little support for non-commissioned employees

Support all employees - not just the Troopers.

Low Pay, but Job Security

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are great. Having a stable income is great. Mostly Friendly people to work with. If you can leave work at work and not take it home with you its a good job.

Cons

Low Pay in comparison to many other state agencies. You could end up in an office where there are favorites. Although you also get a sense that everyone is looking out for themselves because of strict policies and guidelines. They want a team environment but that's not going to happen when you don't have effective management. They encourage ideas and coming forward with concerns, but you better watch what you say because it's all going on record somewhere. Not much room to move up unless you change departments.

Consent procedure/policy changes and memo's do not help reenforce training. Grammar errors in training paperwork is embarrassing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at this agency, top brass make the big bucks, others starve

Current Employee - Headquarters  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hours are good, flexible work schedule, but thats about it. I've seen this place go down the tubes fast within the last 10 years. It has become a white collar, padded position only type of place to work for. You're either at the top making the big bucks or down in the pits making chump change. The morale of this agency has gone down hill. I'll be glad to leave this place next year when I retire.

Cons

Crumby pay (Unless you have a director's title, or upper management title) , DPS needs to realize it is NOT 1980 anymore, and the cost of everything has gone up. Poor management skills in almost every department. There are WAY too many managers and directors in DPS. It's VERY top heavy with management (pretty much an upside down pyramid), and the work load isn't equally distributed. That is why the left hand doesn't know what the right had is doing, too much miscommunication. It's okay for a big wig to drop the ball on a major project, but if a worker bee does it, they are reprimanded. This agency has a "do as I say not as I do" vibe. I see too many brass walking around here like they are high and mighty, they take "department function" trips (Free kickback trips) all over the place, paid by the state. Galavant around state issued cars, and trust me, they use them for personal use as well. There is literally NO oversight in upper management, department spending, etc.

Treat your employees better, period. They are tired of the excuses that make no sense. How can you tell a person we can't give you a raise, or say the area they work in doesn't have the funds to improve on anything. Then go hire MORE upper managers for HIGHER pay, or go out and spend money on pointless things that the department really doesn't need. Stop pushing more work on folks and not increasing their pay, all your going to end up doing is keep pushing them until you push them right out that door, I've seen it time and time again. They treat the good ones why try, like crap, and the ones who sit around in their offices doing nothing they keep. It makes no sense.

When I came to work for the state in the late 1980's people WANTED to come to work for DPS, they were eager to learn, and were able to move up, advance, etc. Now that flat out doesn't exist. The turnover rate has soared in the last few years. Young folks are not going to want to come to work here. Between the retirees coming back and immediately getting top level positions, some without even interviewing for them, and the department creating all these fluffy cushion jobs for paper pushers. It's gotten WAY out of hand. Get rid of these retirees, they made their paycheck, they aren't contributing anymore, and they know it. That's why the majority of them sit around and do nothing but collect TWO paychecks from the state. You either have to be a friend of a friend in upper management, or know somebody to get a good paying job here, this buddy buddy system has got to stop. Eventually someone will investigate into how some people got positions they are currently in. They'll start to connect the dots, and notice how certain people used to work in previous jobs with certain managers, or how they are acquainted, etc. It's difficult to give any advice or suggestions to managers and brass at this agency. It's in one ear and out the other. They're REALLY and truly not concerned what so ever about the department. As long as they can sit in their cushy position with a high five or six figure income, and get issued a state vehicle to galavant around in, they could care less. Big paycheck, free gas, free company car, the only people that get taken care of here are directors, assistant deputy directors (we now have a boat load of them whom have replaced management titles) and upper management.

Retitled positions for the "entitled" worker, good ol boy system at it's worst, double dippers heaven

Current Employee - Overworked, Underpaid  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Overworked, Underpaid in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible work schedule, holiday, and paid time off. Benefits are "ok" they used to be better. I feel sorry for any of the new hires they won't receive half the benefits as current employees

Cons

Where do I start? The pay it terrible! I'm making what a high school student would make bagging groceries at a local grocery store. Most of the people I work with have to maintain TWO jobs just to make ends meat. When I was initially hired on I had to endure a very hostile work environment. After notifying human resources, and upper management about a supervisor whom would cuss out employees, use excessive discharge against co-workers to try and get them fired, throw things, and was even accused of sexually harassing a female co-worker, all they did was relocate him to another department. But that's not where it ended, his buddies in upper management have made my life a LIVING hell! They continued to reprimand me, put me on what is know as a "performance improvement plan" over and over and over again. I was in the middle of chemo, and radiation treatments for cancer, and had to take FMLA leave. I even tried to take my radiation treatments during my lunch break then come back to work but that wasn't enough. They found EVERY excuse they could to consistently threaten my job. It has gotten SO bad that now I have to literally put every single thing I do in my daily tasks, in writing to my current supervisor. I'm no longer allowed to take anymore training classes, because each time I send a written request it gets denied. I've attempted to apply for five other positions within the department, even got a offered a job in another area, was told I scored very high on the interview, was told I got the position. Then a week later they retracted their offer and gave the job to someone from outside the department. Even after assisting co workers in another area of the department for two months, I applied for that job, and was told "I wasn't qualified" Really??? After performing the job very well for two months, then applying for it I was told I didn't meet the qualifications for the job. I didn't even get offered an interview for that position. By this time I've given up on things getting any better. After creating several presentations for the area I work in, assisting my co-workers in their daily task, climbing up on shelfs and painting the area I work in with co-workers to make things look better, assisting other areas within the department I work in, and they still continue to do this to me because I was a "whistle blower" for all the illegal activities going on in that area.

There is no oversight with management at all in this department what so ever. People in higher positions can run their areas like the private sector without any recourse. Security in the area I work in is non existent, anyone can just walk in and get what they want. In which case they usually do! That's the scary part. They retitle positions within the department for certain upper management to get higher pay. It seems like every manager now has a directors title for doing the same task as people in the past have done under manager or supervisor titles. Like other reviews have stated, it's not what you know but who you know in this department and it's true! They'll hire their buddies whom have little to no experience in "certain" positions before they'll hire anyone else. This place is also a retire/rehires best friend. They will let these retired people come back in and work the same position they left in or better, leaving no room for advancement at all for people still working in the deparment.

Not an easy place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety as an intern for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady pay check, lots of paid holidays, mandatory state retirement contribution.

Cons

Management not flexible, their way or the highway. Some great bosses do exist there. Values too conservative for my taste.

Typical state job

Current Employee - IT Department  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Department in Austin, TX

Pros

Great work life balance with work from home being an option. Good benifits and Job security is very high. working over 40 hours a week is highly discouraged.

Cons

30%-40% travel, pay is below average, unless you are a consultant or a contractor. Initiative gets you nowhere and pay raises at the state are practically non existent.

Eh State Government

Current Employee - Auditor III  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor III in Austin, TX

Pros

Low stress, little pressure to meet deadlines, put in your 40 hours and you are done, depends on where you work and how much work you have

Cons

low compensation and benefits, many managers just care about getting higher in the organization and do not care about their employees, IT is back in the 90s with lots of paper processing

Learn to be better managers and care about your employees rather than your own agenda.

Your treatment is commensurate with the rank of the person you work for and if you are/aren't commissioned.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Waco, TX

I worked at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holidays, insurance, paid time off (vacation and sick leave), and hours. Also, you are working inside, away from the elements.

Cons

The "Good ole boy" network is alive and well, and thriving within this agency. Don't think outside the box, or for yourself. It's almost a cult-like environment and I wouldn't drink the kool-aid, thus I was insubordinate. Management does not encourage communication or informal resolution. Highway Patrol gets to pick and choose what "rules" they follow and handle their own Human Resources. The Agency HR Dept. does not dictate policy to HP. Agency spent an obscene amount of money for evaluation from outside entity. First recommendation: Cut the fat at the top. DPS reaction: Create more positions as Deputy Assistant Directors & Regional Commanders with ridiculous salaries, meanwhile non-comm personnel receive a 1/2 of 1% raise, the first in 3 years.

Get real. People who are running things have no idea how things run. Appreciate the support staff. It's nice to hear "We couldn't do what we do without our Administrative Assistants", but those words won't buy groceries or pay a mortgage or car payment.

Easy job, politics make it hard

Current Employee - State Trooper  in  Weatherford, TX
    Current Employee - State Trooper in Weatherford, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of Public Safety full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Easy job
    meet alot of good people
    outdoors
    salary is alright
    career wherever in Texas you want to be

Cons

No oversight in how the supervisors treat you.
    Quotas in the Fort Worth region (you will have 24 drunks a year or lowered eval)
    Racism
    wool uniform

Austin needs to be more involved in what goes on at the lowest level. HR needs to be utilized more rather than a supervisor that doesn't care.

Worked for Texas Department of Public Safety? Contribute to the Community!