Texas Department of State Health Services

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

CEO

Pros
  • There are some great people here: smart, passionate about public health, innovative (in 3 reviews)

• Some of the people I worked with were nice (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a constant shortage of staff and the inability to fill the positions because of the low salary (in 3 reviews)

• Little to no recognition of excellent work by the leads and managers (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Staff

Current Employee - Staff Services Officer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Services Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It has been the warmest and friendliest welcome I have ever had from an employer. Management is very understanding of family and personal life and they advocate a "this is just your job, not your life" kind of environment. They genuinely want people to have fun with what they do and bring laughter into the workplace.

Cons

There is an expectation to be very adaptive because some positions are not well defined so there is a lot of area for suggesting new organization or process improvements.

Create new employee on boarding folders/processes for assisting your new hires with a complete job overview and set job duties/expectations to help transition them from training to on the job status. Take them around to the other departments they engage with and are affected by so they get a nice workflow view of where they fit into the larger picture.

The employees are very friendly and the job is rewarding.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rusk, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rusk, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services

Pros

The benefits with insurance and time off are great.

Cons

The employees that call in sick are ridiculously high. The management need to get a hold on the staff problems.

They need to make repercussions for calling in sick to much and promote people that deserve it, not because they know someone.

Great place to work, not much pay

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time

Pros

Most people I work woth are suprisingly pleasant. Job is enjoyable. Not a bad place to do 20 years.

Cons

Work is tied to a federally funded program and consequentially there are no pay raises. We do get cost of living increases, but that's it

Find other ways to compensate / reward employees besides pay increase such as increased vacation or work from home.

Incompetent employees and managers who play favorites

Former Employee - @Center for Health Statistics in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - @Center for Health Statistics in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I think that some people who worked there were smart and nice. However, these people had all been considering leaving or had left because of the other employees, boring work, or poor pay.

Cons

I strongly disliked working at DSHS. I found that I got very little mentorship, and felt bored by my job. I was promised more interesting research work that never materialized. The workplace atmosphere was very fake and very negative. Those who got promoted or full-time offers were terrible at doing any real work but would suck up to the manager day and night, and claiming credit for the work of others. I would not recommend working here for anyone, but the types of people who end up here are those who really could not find employment anywhere else. Another con is that workplace attire and timeliness to work are heavily policed.

I think most of the management should be fired. It's unclear whether most of the management can actually manage folks, as they came up from the ranks of working in DSHS. Most of them have lots of petty drama amongst themselves, and can't even pretend to get along. And favoritism was probably my strongest complaint. Even though I had worked at the Center for Health Statistics for a few months, I did not get a "going away" party, even though every birthday and occasion was feted. Also, I did not get a full-time position and was told it was because even though I didn't have kids, I didn't work extra time, which is discrimination.

don't even

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

It was close to where I lived.

Cons

Sleezy IT contractors.... sleezy state employees probably getting kickbacks from the IT firms they do business with. I was actually physically uncomfortable sitting at my desk because the corruption was so rampant that nobody really cared about the appearance of wrongdoing. It was stunning.

Lawyer up.

Medical Case Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services

Pros

Flexibility and benefits Are very great

Cons

Pay is low and no team unity

team building

Working for a state that hates Govt

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Coworkers were all highly-educated and knowledgeable about public health practices. Most of the people there were genuinely nice and believed in the work they did.
    --Working for the state, you may have the opportunity to participate in task forces, sit in on legislative meetings, and other activities that really allow you to see public health in action (or not, depending...)
    --Depending on your job, you may be in a role to help people

Cons

--In my department, we had a manager who hated government and would rail against the potential for government intrusion, taxes, etc. I never understood why someone who hated government would pursue a career in govt.
    --neopotism
    --lack of basic office necessities. We had no kitchen/break room in our entire building! As a result, employees used the bathrooms for food preparation and for washing dishes. It's awkward to go for a bathroom break, and have someone making food in the sink right outside the stall. Also, a co-worker told me that we would be shut down for sure by the fire marshall if they ever inspected the building, due to the cramped quarters.

Governmental affairs intern

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services

Pros

Real life experience, fast during interm

Cons

Slow work during interim,

Employment

Current Employee - Business Improvement Coor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Improvement Coor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Department of State Health Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities and fair salary.

Cons

Poor business systems. Executives not open to new ideas.

Plan more strategically.

I have worked for the state for 14+ years and it is a very stagnant job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Many paid state holidays. Great work/life balance depending on the department you work in.

Cons

It is very hard to get promoted-depends more on who you know rather than what you know. Salary is below industry standards. Raises are few and far between. The only raise I have ever seen is $20 (monthly gross amount) every 2 years for longevity. It would be nice if there was a cost of living increase. Technology is behind about 10 years so it is very hard to complete the tasks with minimal resources, including tools and staff. There is a constant shortage of staff and the inability to fill the positions because of the low salary.

Some of the executive management need to get in the trenches to see how difficult it is for their staff to work without the necessary resources **and** with such the low salary. The salary of most of the staff is just above poverty levels. They make about $5 more per month than the federal poverty level so they can't even qualify for Medicaid or Food Stamps.

Texas Department of State Health Services Photos