Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Updated October 29, 2014
2.5

Texas Health and Human Services Commission Executive Commissioner Kyle Janek
Kyle Janek

Pros
  • Working for this agency provides an excellent work-life balance and reasonable compensation (in 4 reviews)

• Great Benefits and lots of time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not enough for the amount of work that you do (in 3 reviews)

• expectations are very high/not conducive to work/life balance, few people seen as competent, negativity/lack of support (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - Purchasing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Since this is a government agency, there are very Good benefits such as health insurance and retirement. There is Also sick leave and vacation leave that increase with each passing year. I have been able to move up the ladder from an entry level position, as other jobs became available.

Cons

I would say that one of the challenges working here is that it is such a large agency, sometimes you are just a cog in a wheel, and it can be hard to make lasting changes. The health insurance benefits are on the decline, too, probably due to the rising cost of healthcare and insurance. The state is self insured, though, and they do pay for all of the employees insurance premium and part of the employee's family premium. Its just that co-pays and stricter policys on from the insurance management side is getting worse as far as what is covered or how much out of pocket expense the employee must pay.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (less than an year)

Pros

More holidays than your average job. One of the few opportunities left to have a pension. Little to no pressure to perform.

Cons

Employees are not compensated on their performance. There is no accountability. Reverse racism is rampant. Affirmative Action on steroids will guarantee that even the most qualified white person will not get the advancement.

Reward those who actually seek to improve the system.

OK place to learn abourt state governemnt

Current Employee - Program Specialist IV in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Specialist IV in Austin, TX

Pros

work schedule - 8 -5 monday through friday is great
    holidays - many state holidays off
    employees- good mix of staff
    training- opportunities here
    beneifts- health insurance, dental

Cons

salary - less than private sector
    workload - a lot going on
    promotions - limited advancement
    state government - tough legislature to work with
    culture - needs change and new blood

listen to employees

A good place to work if you want to have a state pension. Fewer and fewer companies are still offering pension.

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get very good benefits(health insurance, vacation, sick leave, etc). You can do telecommute up 2 days per week. You can retire at 62 years if you have work for at least 10 years.

Cons

Sometimes it is getting boring because the pace is sometimes very slow.

Enterprise Applications

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Austin, TX

Pros

The benefits are good--health insurance premiums are free for the employee

Cons

Unprofessional leadership, favoritism, lack of flexibility. 3 month wait for medical insurance, 6 month probation period with no time off. Rules do not apply to everyone equally. Compensation is low compared to similar positions in the private sector. Leadership discussing personal feelings and teasing of other staff to peers, calling customers rude names to other employees. I did not encounter one person on the team who actually enjoyed their job.

Management is more concerned about making sure you are in your seat 8 hours a day than the quality and quantity of work. Have all of the paperwork and computer set up when a new employee arrives so they don't waste 3 weeks of taxpayer money sitting doing nothing. Have a training plan and time set aside to train new employees on what their duties will be. Eliminate or reduce the probationary period, if you thought enough to hire someone, they shouldn't have to spend 6 months with no time off to "prove" themselves.

Too overwhelming for no reason.

Former Employee - Texas Works Advisor II in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Texas Works Advisor II in Plano, TX

I worked at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well diversed group of people.

Cons

You will definitely feel overworked and underpaid.

Management need to be realistic.

It changed my view on State Government!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

If you have a great supervisor or manager then you can learn many things and grow professionally.

Cons

There are areas where I have seen cruelty and abuse. I have seen laws broken and people crushed. I have seen careers ruined because management: upper management turns their head maybe due to fear. I worked almost 20 years. There are some whom have broken laws.
    Even with the accolades, bonuses and raises it was a waste of my life and the worst decision I ever made. Turn over = waste of money for tax payers who are your boss.

Transparency. Checks and Balances. Stop abuse of the abusers. Trust your gut and make it right even with the fear. Stop promotion of your careers at the expense of those who did the work for you to get there. Include Civil Right, OGC, an outside source, HR, staff and management. Stop allowing management to do whatever they want to do. Illegal.

Meh

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, state holidays off, holiday and sick time build up, good retirement

Cons

This job all depends on what unit you are in. Your OUM and PC can make your job a nightmare. Mine do everything in their power to find something wrong with your work. If you don't agree, too bad. Management does not defend you against reviews and treat you like a child. If you ask questions, you are called rude and unprofessional.

Management needs to take responsibility and remove poor OUM and PC choices.

State Job

I have been working at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, not stressful

Cons

No room for career growth, no cross training, no promotions

Worst job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Texas Works Advisor
    Current Employee - Texas Works Advisor

I have been working at Texas Health and Human Services Commission full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get most holidays off and the first few months are the easiest pay check you will ever receive.

Cons

management does not know what they are doing, the potential for growth beyond the TWA II position is a joke unless you are brown nosing the right people, training is tedious at best and is effectively several months of your life wasting your small paycheck driving across the region to review a dry/dense policy handbook that could put Foucault to shame, you are expected to be nothing more than a drone with no sense of free thought or critical reasoning... most people can expect to be looking for a new job within 4-6 months of starting here which causes a turnover rate that is worse than any restaurant I have ever seen or worked at..... At the end of the day you will hate your life and question why you spent so much time and money going to school to end up in this physical version of Hell.... oh and if you do accept this job make sure that you are excellent at budgeting your life because this salary is not worth it.

Stop micro managing and try actually learning how to do your employee's job before you try to rip them a new one for something they did correctly.