Texas Instruments

3.7
1,221 Reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Great work/life balance (of course depends on the type of role you are in) (in 130 reviews)

• Nice campus, you may have a relaxed work environment, depending on your boss (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is difficult to have when the job demands are more than the people to complete the job (in 41 reviews)

• Entitlement mentality towards uncompensated labor from middle and upper management (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employer

Former Employee - HPA in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - HPA in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Texas Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Big company, lots of opportunity to move around. You can go up and pick either management or design, generally work on projects for months at a time.

Cons

You might get lost in the shuffle. The workspace is pretty bland, decent dining area but nothing fancy.

I think you're doing a fine job - it's great that all management are also engineers so they're easier to relate to.

Nice workers, interesting work, but brutal and incompetent management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of projects to work on, nice co-workers. If you are lucky with a technically competent supervisor, you will thrive. But planning for the long-term is difficult -- there are organizational changes (restructurizations) that happen more often than 6 months! Meaning that your position is in flux most of the time.

Cons

management is non-engineering, often incompetent, but arrogant and brutal to defend their salary at your cost. Projects are not assigned based on technical skill but through internal process of managerial decision making. Since most managers are not technically skilled, projects are assigned and evaluated based on a political and other non-technical reasons. This creates very poor and subjective evaluation process.

engineering company can not succeed without technically competent management, at this point too many MBA's too few engineering degree managers even fewer company-grown ones.

work with chemcials & gas bottles also work on diffusion furnices & epitxal reactors

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

stable work good pay for this town and good benfitts

Cons

12 hours shifts always work one of the week end days.

TI Review

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work, under right manager great chance to flourish

Cons

constant change in management so focus changes time and again

Pleasant place to work, lots to learn and the company is huge so easy to find something you love in terms of work

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Diverse technology, Good compensation and awesome technical talent

Cons

location in Tucson, az is not the best place

Continue looking for the best talent in the industry

Great Job, but it is pretty boring

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. People wear jeans and t shirts to work. Schedules can be lax during down times and people are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Reorganization at least every every year. Tucson is a lame place to live.

Keep your middle management staffed. I haven't had a manager for 6 months.

Good

Current Employee - Product Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Big company and less laid off

Cons

Benefit is not as good as other big companies

Changes at TI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Texas Instruments is a good place to start a career in terms of intial experience. Alot of very knowledgable engineers to learn from.

Cons

Recent changes at TI have disenfrachised alot of the senior engineering staff. While in the past I would have easily recommended friends to join the team, with the current direction I now would hesitate to make such a recommendation.

I would listen to senior technical staff and try to gain from their experience and suggestions. Remember that it is the guys working on the front line that makes the company innovative and successful.

Good place to work, some questions with recognition in my particular group though

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

I don't know how this stacks up with other Semiconductor companies, but I think this workplace is best for individuals who like to explore and grow in their chosen technical areas, it appears to be highly encouraged.
    However pursuing some technical areas of interest might (I believe this applies to any employer) might require working past regular hours, because my plate is normally full with regular work tasks (I guess thats why its called work!).
    One of the upsides about work is Flextime, this means I can say take my kid to the dentist during regular work hours, and make up for the hours spent at the dentist at work later (maybe stay back at work to conclude my tasks etc). Also, it is possible to work remotely (via VPN) if the task I am working on does not require my physical presence in the office.

Cons

I have watched some really bright individuals who have spent much longer time in the company than myself, it seems to me that individuals who choose a purely technical path, dont seem to be "important", yes they are respected but the dont appear to be the bosses. Sometimes I wonder how their compensation stacks up with some individuals who get a job with the sole aim of becoming a boss, and little or no interest in technical areas, which I think is the core of what we do. Thats one of the reasons I am checking out this site.
    Also note that the employee perception of the company varies from group to group in the same City, and from city to city!

I think top management is doing a great job, however I wonder how the long term satisfaction of individuals who choose a purely technical rather than a management career path stack up with the competition.

Good place but too focus in seniority

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Benefits are good and environment is good as well

Cons

Advancement opportunities not there for young people

Stop focusing in seniority there is a lot of good people that recently joined the company that is totally worth it to give a chance to lead.