Texas Instruments

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.6 1,106 reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton

Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life(in 115 reviews)

• Great people, benefits, work environment -- when far from corporate headquarters in Dallas(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks(in 25 reviews)

1,106 Employee Reviews

design engineer

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosgood big company with a lot of people

Constoo south part of the country

Advice to Senior Managementit is already very good place

Great place to work.

Mid Level Management (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsInnovation and creativity make it very enjoyable to work at TI. Lots of room to grow.

ConsSometimes people are promoted beyond their capabilities and are expected to grow into the role. Unfortunately, many do not make it and not only disrupt their own careers but the work environment of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting, make sure values, culture, and work ethic match the organization that a person will manage. Otherwise, many times people fail in new roles because they were either not properly selected or not properly prepared.

Good employer

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood advancement opportunities.... have consistented provided job rotation chances. This is a good company to work for.

ConsSome of the jobs are moving out of the country to low-cost areas. Hopefuly that will change as we move forward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, good culture

Prosgood culture, good benefits, good work life balance

Consmay not be for everyone

Overall a great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat bunch of people. Hard working. Pay was very good.

ConsPeople are looking out for themselves and their friends. No company loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take better care of it's employees.

Management Chain needs a major shakeup

Product Marketing (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTexas Instruments has a great history with a global footprint and many Smart people ruwho have stuck around through the turbulent recent past can make this company great once again.

ConsThe entire company is run like a Sales team. Long term vision means thinking about 4 Quarter during the first Quarter. Texas Instruments really needs to shed it's Inbred management of Sales people and hire some experienced and qualified technology executives. There is no technology company in the world that can continue to grow and prosper by spending more money on SG&A than R&D (take a look at their 2013 Annual report)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can continue to milk Great technology and businesses built by your predecessors. At some point, they will run out of steam

Solid technical company that changes focus too often

ProsChallenging jobs with lots of opportunities to work hard. Room to take on more responsibilities at any job level. Heavy international travel in senior positions. Great experience for a first job

ConsNot much work life ballance. Focused on loading everyone as heavily as possible. Senior workers are slowly pushed out of the organization around 50. Most promotions go to individuals under 30.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe speed of turn over could impact the performance of the company.

Like a Family... with way too many personal issues

Program Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWhen I first started here, I was told by current employees TI = Training Institute and Tiny Income. I don't believe this to be true. They reward hard work and effort, and they have reasonable expectations for work/life balance.

ConsTI was like a family to me... but a dysfunctional one. Politics are horrible. Also, mass layoffs really hurt the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlaybook is tedious and mostly involves paper pushing. I would like to see more emphasis on technology roadmap and less on redundant execution checks.

lost potential

Senior Analog Design Engineer/Design Lead (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood work/life balance, low stress level. Good vacation. Plentiful design tools. Lots of support for design engineers i.e. in the lab and design software. Could have potential but see the cons.

Consperhaps it depends on particular BU, but in my experience there is way too much politics and not enough substance. Many of SMTS/DMTS are old and not up to the level, but still have their high titles and perks and not shy to use them. Mid-level management is often technically mediocre resulting in loss of business and subsequent mass lay-offs. Tech ladder advancement is based on who you know, not what one is worth. Low-level management often stuffed by incompetents who just sing the company tune but have no clue of design issues and just concerned with keeping themselves employed. Nat Semi acquisition was sought to add tech talent, but Nat Semi was never in the top 3 of analog, and many of their best people left. Recent lay-offs tended to remove a lot of talent - those who stayed seemed most politically skilled, not technically talented, consequently a lot of talent got picked up by top competitors, probably on the cheap. Top management comes from sales and marketing, not from design, which probably accounts for a lot of the above issues. I can't see how TI can compete with the top 3 in analog - other than on price.

Advice to Senior Managementcut down on politics - focus on technical excellence; start growing technical management, not career climbers. Stop promoting sales/marketing types into senior management - there are way too many of those and they are the ones who create politics.

Systems Engineer

ProsFriendly environment and good benefit

ConsLack of investment and sales oriented culture

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!