Texas Instruments

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.6 1,106 reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton

Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life(in 115 reviews)

• Great people, benefits, work environment -- when far from corporate headquarters in Dallas(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks(in 25 reviews)

1,106 Employee Reviews

Good while it lasted.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood work life balance. High flexibility in work hours and schedule. Opportunities exist to venture into cross functional disciplines. Lot of opportunity to learn new things and for training.

ConsTop heavy, very few chances for promotion. No new growth in digital areas. Instead the company is getting out of digital businesses. Communication from management could be better.

Great place to work

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, competitive pay, profit-sharing, and great co-workers.

ConsSometimes people are let go, but that happens everywhere.

Experienced Hires Beware

Program Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCompany is actively managing the business portfolio to make itself more competitive. Quick to make decisions about which businesses to nurture and which ones to cut their losses.

ConsThe work culture feels very old from the calculator days. It's also an entrenched culture and you frequently here "that's the way we've always done it." There is no formal process to onboard you and little assistance is offered to help you navigate the organizational landmines. When you ask questions about why things are the way they are, you often get a confused look because it is so embedded in their day-to-day it is not recognizable to them. Also no formal performance review process is conducted. Your annual salary adjustment is the primary feedback on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is too big not to have more formal processes in place to manage employees. The culture is in desperate need of an overhaul in conjunction with the new business direction into analog markets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product or Test Engineering

Product Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVery employee friendly company to work for

ConsAlways work to be done no matter what

Advice to Senior ManagementRewarding the employee is the best way to boost morale for work to be done.

Challenging but rewarding opportunity.

Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTI is a financially stable corporation. The company is able to keep reinventing itself making it very competitive firm in the semiconductors' industry.

ConsThere should be improvements in the Work/Life balance. There is a lot of pressure on the Manufacturing team in the fabs. The personnel in the Wafer Fabs are very productive. I believe we ask a lot more out of the few employees than what was asked in the past.

Great place to start and develop a career.

Analog Design Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLow cost of living in DFW, many opportunities for advancement in the company, market competitive compensation.

ConsVery frequent organizational and management changes.

Great place to work!

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGreat people with current technology.

ConsBeing a Contractor for extended periods was a little disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConvert contractors to full time rather than keeping them on contract 5+ years.

Great to work here! Wonderful experience and learning a lot.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros* Friendly and immensely knowledgeable colleagues, always easy to approach.
    * Allotted time for training
    * Flexible working hours
    * Work from home facilities
    * Interns get time off too :)
    * Challenging and interesting work
    * Stock options for Interns
    * Annual profit sharing for Interns

ConsNot really cons, but these attributes are a must for prospective employees:
    * Requires in-depth knowledge of computer architecture and embedded systems.
    * Must have willingness to learn new concepts every day.

Advice to Senior Management* Experiment more, expand in non-conventional markets.
    * Improve or make available more details on promotion structure

Great in technology, but life and work balance should be improved tremendously.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging, reasonable pay and perk, large resources of knowledge. Very good environment for single to gain experiences before moving to more life/work balance companies or for married engineers.

ConsThis is not a good place for married engineers even though pay, benefits, and time off are very reasonable or a little above average. Management pays too much attention to getting things out, but does not pay enough attention to quality of products or employees' lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance life work, and your employees will work extra time for free at home or in the office to assure quality and robust products.

I learn things that is very useful to use in other line of work.

Assembler (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe training was very good learning experince. for all the 21yrs that I was there. I work in all areas in photo.
    Then I transfer to plasma I was full train in that area on all tool set. I love the training I got in all.

ConsIt was hard to get time-off when it came to vacation time,holidays if your time is less than your co-workers they have first pick.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dodn't have any advice about upper management.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!