Texas Instruments Reviews

3.7
1,157 Reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life (in 116 reviews)

• Great people, benefits, work environment -- when far from corporate headquarters in Dallas (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Compnay

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company values, benefits, work-life balance. Good opportunities and available training. Excellent leadership talent.

Cons

Economic impacts seen across corporation

Over 33 years with T.I.

Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative  in  Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative in Stafford, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits, Great people. Good opportunity for advancement if you work hard and keep up with your education. Open door policy allows any employee to schedule a conference with anyone in management.

Cons

Sometimes its very difficult to fund projects.
    Some benefits have changed for the bad over the years that I worked for T.I. such as retirement medical. When I started working there, medical was paid in full for the retiree. Not so any longer. I'm not complaining as it is still better than buying a O-Bama plan.

Don't forget about the little guy in which the company couldn't run without.

Well positioned in relation to skillset

Current Employee - Asst Project Manager  in  Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Asst Project Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location, co-workers, job responsibilities are all optimum with adequate initial challenges.

Cons

Very limited opportunity for growth and seem to have reached my usefulness with no consideration to further challenges. Accomplished and exceeded goals hired to provide with nothing new. Responsibilities now seem to be movng to more mundane workload. New management seems to be more traditional mindset with little thought to thinking "outside the box" and keeping staff engaged.

Current management has very traditional mindset and seems new ideas are currently not encouraged. Unaware they have several highly qualified people looking elsewhere due to not being heard by management. Favoritism is evident in some cases.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

30 years at Dallas, TI

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people culture, positive, salary, benefits.

Cons

Gone through many reorganizations, restructuring resulting into job transfers
    and layoffs. Bottom line, share holders upper management willing to appease
    investers including compromising job security for all. Your valuable one day and the next
    your expendable.

Keep in mind the people that work for the company as it is the strongest asset and not the
    share holders/investors!

Driven and somewhat empowered, but mostly chaotic.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

TI is a household name and very well known in the Industry. They are competitive with salaries and benefits. Also, because TI is such a large organization, people move around and change roles regularly. There are many opportunities for personal growth if you are willing to do the work to search them out.

Cons

Very big company, including a bit more beaurocracy than I would have preferred. People are generally extremely sharp, but because people can shift around so easily, some people will tend to focus a bit more on politics and alliances, as one may expect. There is also an underlying feeling that raising a concern, or mentioning something to fix, may be met with subtle disdain in the best case, or in the worst case - you could be blindly assigned fixing the very concern you mentioned . I'm sure this may happen at other companies as well, but I'm only able to speak to my experience at TI.

Because people can shift roles within TI so frequently, it can be tough for employees to feel a sense of ownership and significance in their current role simply because in the back of their mind they assume the GMs, PLDs and even VPs, could be swapped around, which results in a fair amount of discontinuity in some of the engineering groups. Consider this underlying perception, which is whispered in hallways and bathrooms, as you develop organizational strategies to continue to motivate the employees and support the long-term growth of the company.

Great people and great benefits, but very political environment.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits. Good professional development opportunities. Very large company with many roles available to employees as they move through their careers.

Cons

Bureaucracy in every group and more so the higher up you go in the organization. GMs, PLD and even VPs shift around quite a bit, which can cause significant discontinuity in the groups and leave employees complacent because they know their manager could change in 1-2 years.

As you build strategies to increase market share and margins, please keep in mind that there is a perception among employees that can make them a bit complacent or jaded because GMs, PLD and even VPs shift around quite a bit, which can cause significant discontinuity in the groups. Please try and address this, or at least be sensitive to it as you develop organizational strategies and employee development/retention strategies.

Great company. Great Values

Current Employee - UNIX Administrator  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - UNIX Administrator in Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main advantage of working at T.I is the learning experience. There's so much you will learn above and beyond your normal work routine.

Cons

The pay compared to current market rates is not that good.

Texas Instruments is a great company focused on commitment to the industry and its employees.

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There's lots of opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

The on-boarding process is weak.

Continue to encourage employees to seek opportunities for growth outside of your existing team and put in a process to do this.

Interesting work, good work life balance, good teamwork

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

teamwork, work life balance is a priority, collaborating with your manager to build a career path is great

Cons

promotions are not easy, office politics

avoid office politics, give specific feeback

Great place for grow

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everybody on the team was supper friendly and helpful. Supervisor are very supportive, and making me feel my job actually matters a lot. There seems to be a lot of opportunity to grow within TI, and they let you try different engineering roles within the team.

Cons

Dallas might be too hot for me in the summer, though it was okay this year. Cafeteria food is not so pleasant, but many people do bring lunch to work. Also, it is very hard to live in Dallas without a car.

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!