Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments Reviews

3.6

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Exceptional opportunities for career advancement, as well as a great work-life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Supportive work environment: Mentors and teammates are very friendly and ready to help (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is difficult to have when the job demands are more than the people to complete the job (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work, some questions with recognition in my particular group though

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

I don't know how this stacks up with other Semiconductor companies, but I think this workplace is best for individuals who like to explore and grow in their chosen technical areas, it appears to be highly encouraged.
    However pursuing some technical areas of interest might (I believe this applies to any employer) might require working past regular hours, because my plate is normally full with regular work tasks (I guess thats why its called work!).
    One of the upsides about work is Flextime, this means I can say take my kid to the dentist during regular work hours, and make up for the hours spent at the dentist at work later (maybe stay back at work to conclude my tasks etc). Also, it is possible to work remotely (via VPN) if the task I am working on does not require my physical presence in the office.

Cons

I have watched some really bright individuals who have spent much longer time in the company than myself, it seems to me that individuals who choose a purely technical path, dont seem to be "important", yes they are respected but the dont appear to be the bosses. Sometimes I wonder how their compensation stacks up with some individuals who get a job with the sole aim of becoming a boss, and little or no interest in technical areas, which I think is the core of what we do. Thats one of the reasons I am checking out this site.
    Also note that the employee perception of the company varies from group to group in the same City, and from city to city!

I think top management is doing a great job, however I wonder how the long term satisfaction of individuals who choose a purely technical rather than a management career path stack up with the competition.

Overall, TI is a great place to work

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Nice pay and benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

Little room for advancement for people who start out in the fab.

Communication could be much better.

Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

This is my first job out of school, and the company has been very good in providing resources I need to learn. Also, I have been given a lot of freedom in choosing the projects I work on. If you can start in one, there are several development programs in various fields at Texas Instruments that provide great training, but also access to higher level managers and executives. As far as financial benefits, Texas Instruments provides a 100% match on your 401k up to 4% of your salary, as well as profit sharing and a great employee stock purchase program.

Cons

Not being from Texas, I had to move to Dallas, which is a great city, but not the best in the country. However, there are sales offices all over the world, so if you end up in a customer focused role, you have options to work just about anywhere.

I'm new at the company, so I don't have too much insight. I guess just work on making the stock price go up :)

Management needs to listen to engineers and stop making technical decisions

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

1. There is good work life balance
    2. In general, there is fair treatment to all
    3. Decent compensation compared to other companies in industry
    4. Lot of new technologies to explore. Lots of product categories.

Cons

1. Managers who think they can make technical decisions
    2. Management by fiat
    3. Treatment of engineers as "mere labor resources" and not understanding the importance of knowledge building aspect for the company's long term competitiveness

1. Engineers are not just resources. They are company's lifeline. Listen to engineers. If they are treated as hourly workers, there is risk to company's future success.
    2. Learn how to manage. Stop thinking that you can make sound technical decisions and defy engineer's feedback regarding what is and what is not an optimal engineering choice.

Average company.

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Benefits, clean offices, good location.

Cons

Cost cutting, moving jobs overseas.

Value employees.

Directionally correct but in seriously rough waters. Don't force too many to abandon ship.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Despite recent market events, they have a great product strategy and breadth that few if any competitors can match. Managers of the key businesses are strong and are finally embracing mass market needs. Top management keeps the focus largely on the areas that will be successful in the long run.

Cons

Management, at times, seems to repeat pendulum swing reactions to competitive threats or changing market conditions regarding people and investments. At other times, the wait is too long to get out. Lastly, managers at all levels need encouragement and reassurance especially in tough economic times when resource levels are under scrutiny. It's even harder to make difficult decisions when you are worried about your own job security.

Don't cut too deep or the top employees will bail to avoid the avalanche of work with too few people to execute on the priorities. They'll go to competitors with the playbook in hand and then there will really be market share loss.

Diversity and opportunity but in a very large organization

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Diversity, opportunities. TI is located in various countries which you might have to visit or have opportunity to move there.

Cons

It is a very large organization

Nothing

Texas Instruments is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Texas Instruments is a cutting edge company.

Cons

Long hours and high turnover

Value people not just technology

Growing distrust of senior management and deteriorating impact of technical contributors

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

You will have access to many very competent technical folks. If you want to learn analog circuit design, you can quickly grow your capabilites and have a big impact in certain organizations. Because of its broad porfolio of chips, there is always something else to try and freedom to expand your skillsets. Most groups are very understanding of flexible work schedules as well as telecommuting.

Good people will rise up quickly.

Cons

Some bad people also rise quickly! Management has ceased to listen to the engineers. Sales and marketing droids lead the company from the product line manager position to the top. These people overestimate their capability in judging where the markets are heading (see our cellphone business for the proof) and do not have the technical wherewithal to make sound decisions.

A handful of "chosen ones" are picked from the crowd and these people are quickly promoted up in their careers regardless of their total lack of competency. They are promoted from low level manager to leaders of $100MM+ business units in a few years and have zero technical skills and no leadership capabilties. They are never kept in one position long enough for their stupidity to shine through.

Individual contributors are increasingly being treated as common labor. If you don't fit the clean-cut salesboy mold, you're never going to move up the managerial chain.

Hire and promote more competent leaders. Get more experience in your product line management and 1st line VPs. Encourage continuity in your organizations. I've had 7 managers in 4 years- this is ridiculous! No one is around long enough to understand the market and the people they are supposed to manage.

Value your technical leaders. Ask them what we should be doing. We have no visionary management. $5B in 5 years? Is that the best vision that analog can come up with?

Cut out the fat- too many VPs doing nothing at TI except traveling and "strategic marketing."

Get rid of the yes-men and micromanagers. We still release a huge % of products that are complete flops- this is even after our reviews with our senior management who think they can pick a winner. This has to be fixed.

Need to get their act back together

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Ethical, Good work life balance, Good if you plan to live in Dallas long term and work for the same company for years. Will not make risky decisions and play it safe.

Cons

Very difficult to keep some one who wants to advance in their career or rotate job functions to understand the company better. While the tech ladder is there to promote people who are individial contributors there is no clear career path for people who want to transition to the management ladder. It is mostly based on an old-boys network or who you worked with in groups before. No training program for new hires. It is difficult to motivate people who want to contribute more . Not many women in management roles across all groups in TI. Career growth for women is as good as who your manager is ( which is a risky proposition) and how supportive they are. There is always a concern that women may not make the tough decisions as good as men.

Listen to people who want to contribute more to the company at the lower levels. Open the doors to new blood and people who are not like you. Promote women across the board and not just focus on work life program. Encourage job rotation to advance the top 10 ranked people so that they can learn the ropes.