Texas Instruments Reviews

Reset
3.8
Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Very good work life balance with flexible hours (in 130 reviews)

• Good work environment, friendly coworkers (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 28 reviews)

1. Great place to learn, but environment is changing.

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, good work life balance, great and very intelligent teams.

Cons

New direction seems to be towards commodities - both in products and in people. Lack of commitment to talent development outside of EE design teams.

Advice to Management

Hard to advise management, as the con above aligns with their goals. Should this change, I'd be more willing to recommend this company to others as a job destination.

2. Challenging work, keeps your skills current

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

- Always have challenging work. You won't become a dinosaur working here. - I've never heard of a more humane company when it comes to family emergencies or personal issues (assuming you don't have a history of abusing their trust) such as death in the family, hospital leave, etc. - You will work with the smartest, gentlest people and will love going to work. There is a strong emphasis on teamwork and egalitarianism. They must intentionally look for collaborators because there are very few bullies or uber-negative competitive types. If you're type A personality but also ethical and respectful, you'll fit right in. - True flex time. Work overtime when its needed and take off when it isn't. No one cares when you arrive and when you leave as long as you perform above a certain level. (You have to earn the privilege first, so not many people abuse the system.) This is the first place I've ever worked where I wasn't frustrated by deadbeats. - Truly collaborative. The web team doesn't one-up each other. Everyone is hired for a specific talent, and is expected to exchange ideas and help each other. If I don't know how to code a particular feature, I can literally go ask around and people are excited to pitch in. (The web is so splintered, there are a lot of processes, and we change things so quickly that this is really critical. No one can make it alone in this game anymore!)

Cons

- Onramping is difficult. Things change quickly and we're interdependent. Just chill for the first year and half -- all your colleagues went through this too. Do not expect to be 100% independent as quickly as you would be elsewhere. No one will blame you. Its just part of working for a fast-paced, global company.

Advice to Management

Managers tend to be a unintuitive when it comes to human limitations, but once they get it your manager will step in and work it out. However, I wonder if manager training needs to be re-evaluated. I know many people try to get away with as little work as possible but you don't have any of those people here. Learn to discern when that conversation is a last resort from when it's merely escapism. Everything else is pretty great.

TSE Rotation Program--Prepares New College Grads to Face Engineering Challenges in a Customer-Facing Role

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a field sales office to begin the program provides an exciting overview of what a technical sales role entails. The product marketing and business operations rotations that follow are filled with challenging, impactful work that allow TSEs to contribute to the sales and marketing teams while also building a TI network to be leveraged in the future. The quick 1-3 month rotations also mirror the fast-paced environment one can expect when entering into a sales or marketing role.

Cons

None! The TSE program is a real investment on TI's part in terms of the time and resources it provides for its technical sales engineers.

5. Great Company

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment, global exposure. You enjoy every day of work because of the people you work with. The work culture is great too.

Cons

A lot of dysfunctional processes in the IT area.

Advice to Management

Work as 1-IT and create process framework that spans the entire organization.

6. Good Company, Decent pay and benefits, always changing.

Current Employee - Process Engineer Tech in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Is a stable company with job security in certain departments

Cons

Long hours sometimes, a lot of change which can cause a negative impact sometimes.

7. As a new grad, the environment at TI promotes open mentorship with emphasis in conducting business eithically.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-TSA program opens you to a large network of individuals within the company -High growth potential -Understanding selling/marketing/supply chain -System level knowledge of high tech applications

Cons

Nothing. The TSA program is full of great benefits and opens up to a large range of opportunities in sales or marketing. There is a ramp up process for each step of this rotational program and there are a multitude of mentors that help you through.

8. Amazing opportunity to develop engineering skills with TI's Product Engineering Rotation Program!

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TI saw a need to develop Product Engineers quickly. To do so, they created something that crams years and years of experience into a concise two year program. I have the amazing opportunity to work with four completely separate groups that all tie back into my work as a product engineer. This type of exposure so early on in my career is the thing others dream about. Additionally, TI has such a wide portfolio of parts that I am always able to satisfy my curiosity and desire to learn. I can dive deep and learn all about the device physics of a certain part, or I can go broad and learn all about a family of devices and how they operate. And when I get tired of those, I can repeat the process with other devices.

Cons

The only thing that people might consider a "con" is the fact that this job REQUIRES you to move abroad for 6 months. However, I don't consider that a negative thing. In fact, that was one of the main selling points for this rotation program.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest and inspire the New College Grads.

Was acquired in the National Semiconductor purchase

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Good benefits. Worked in a Design Center and the people were great. Worked in R&D and was very well supported in new equipment and/or technologies for use in development work.

Cons

Project decisions are often made with short minded goals. Drive for immediate return on R&D investment does not allow time for the R&D teams to properly meet design goals, corners get cut.

10. Solid company to work for

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and schedule were good

Cons

Twelve hour Night work is hard

11. First Year Employee in the Product and Test Engineering Rotation Program

Current Employee - Product and Test Engineer Rotator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product and Test Engineer Rotator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working at Ti because it is a highly technical company offering extremely competitive compensation. This rotation program allows me to learn about the Product and Test role while also contributing to a team. Not only does this role incorporate Fabrication and Design, but Ti is also paying for me to work overseas and learn about the Assembly of integrated circuits.

Cons

The only con that I see is the rotations are only for six months. I see this as a con because once I start to become confident and proficient, I switched rotations and start learning at a new position.

Advice to Management

I would just like to thank the management that I have worked with for being understanding and able to explain quickly developing problems with clarity and detail.

Showing 210 of 1,406 reviews