Texas Instruments
3.6 of 5 1,017 reviews
www.ti.com Dallas, TX 5000+ Employees

Texas Instruments Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life"
    in 104 reviews
  • "good work environment, flexible hours, decent benifit"
    in 60 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you don't take care, you may lose your work life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to learn, but environment is changing.

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits, good work life balance, great and very intelligent teams.

ConsNew direction seems to be towards commodities - both in products and in people. Lack of commitment to talent development outside of EE design teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to advise management, as the con above aligns with their goals. Should this change, I'd be more willing to recommend this company to others as a job destination.

Challenging work, keeps your skills current

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros- Always have challenging work. You won't become a dinosaur working here.
- I've never heard of a more humane company when it comes to family emergencies or personal issues (assuming you don't have a history of abusing their trust) such as death in the family, hospital leave, etc.
- You will work with the smartest, gentlest people and will love going to work. There is a strong emphasis on teamwork and egalitarianism. They must intentionally look for collaborators because there are very few bullies or uber-negative competitive types. If you're type A personality but also ethical and respectful, you'll fit right in.
- True flex time. Work overtime when its needed and take off when it isn't. No one cares when you arrive and when you leave as long as you perform above a certain level. (You have to earn the privilege first, so not many people abuse the system.) This is the first place I've ever worked where I wasn't frustrated by deadbeats.
- Truly collaborative. The web team doesn't one-up each other. Everyone is hired for a specific talent, and is expected to exchange ideas and help each other. If I don't know how to code a particular feature, I can literally go ask around and people are excited to pitch in. (The web is so splintered, there are a lot of processes, and we change things so quickly that this is really critical. No one can make it alone in this game anymore!)

Cons- Onramping is difficult. Things change quickly and we're interdependent. Just chill for the first year and half -- all your colleagues went through this too. Do not expect to be 100% independent as quickly as you would be elsewhere. No one will blame you. Its just part of working for a fast-paced, global company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers tend to be a unintuitive when it comes to human limitations, but once they get it your manager will step in and work it out. However, I wonder if manager training needs to be re-evaluated. I know many people try to get away with as little work as possible but you don't have any of those people here. Learn to discern when that conversation is a last resort from when it's merely escapism. Everything else is pretty great.

Great Company

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great environment, global exposure. You enjoy every day of work because of the people you work with. The work culture is great too.

ConsA lot of dysfunctional processes in the IT area.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork as 1-IT and create process framework that spans the entire organization.

Amazing opportunity to develop engineering skills with TI's Product Engineering Rotation Program!

Product Engineer (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsTI saw a need to develop Product Engineers quickly. To do so, they created something that crams years and years of experience into a concise two year program. I have the amazing opportunity to work with four completely separate groups that all tie back into my work as a product engineer. This type of exposure so early on in my career is the thing others dream about.

Additionally, TI has such a wide portfolio of parts that I am always able to satisfy my curiosity and desire to learn. I can dive deep and learn all about the device physics of a certain part, or I can go broad and learn all about a family of devices and how they operate. And when I get tired of those, I can repeat the process with other devices.

ConsThe only thing that people might consider a "con" is the fact that this job REQUIRES you to move abroad for 6 months. However, I don't consider that a negative thing. In fact, that was one of the main selling points for this rotation program.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest and inspire the New College Grads.

Good Company, Decent pay and benefits, always changing.

Process Engineer Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIs a stable company with job security in certain departments

ConsLong hours sometimes, a lot of change which can cause a negative impact sometimes.

TSE Rotation Program--Prepares New College Grads to Face Engineering Challenges in a Customer-Facing Role

Technical Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for less than a year

ProsExposure to a field sales office to begin the program provides an exciting overview of what a technical sales role entails. The product marketing and business operations rotations that follow are filled with challenging, impactful work that allow TSEs to contribute to the sales and marketing teams while also building a TI network to be leveraged in the future. The quick 1-3 month rotations also mirror the fast-paced environment one can expect when entering into a sales or marketing role.

ConsNone! The TSE program is a real investment on TI's part in terms of the time and resources it provides for its technical sales engineers.

As a new grad, the environment at TI promotes open mentorship with emphasis in conducting business eithically.

Technical Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros-TSA program opens you to a large network of individuals within the company
-High growth potential
-Understanding selling/marketing/supply chain
-System level knowledge of high tech applications

ConsNothing. The TSA program is full of great benefits and opens up to a large range of opportunities in sales or marketing. There is a ramp up process for each step of this rotational program and there are a multitude of mentors that help you through.

Solid company to work for

Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Texas Instruments for more than 5 years

ProsPay and schedule were good

ConsTwelve hour Night work is hard

First Year Employee in the Product and Test Engineering Rotation Program

Product and Test Engineer Rotator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for less than a year

ProsI like working at Ti because it is a highly technical company offering extremely competitive compensation. This rotation program allows me to learn about the Product and Test role while also contributing to a team. Not only does this role incorporate Fabrication and Design, but Ti is also paying for me to work overseas and learn about the Assembly of integrated circuits.

ConsThe only con that I see is the rotations are only for six months. I see this as a con because once I start to become confident and proficient, I switched rotations and start learning at a new position.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would just like to thank the management that I have worked with for being understanding and able to explain quickly developing problems with clarity and detail.

Focus on state-of-the-art

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWilling to put fort the effort to succeed in the current marketplace

ConsSometimes lacks real top-drawer leadership and vision

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the voice of experience from your long-term employees

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Texas Instruments Videos

Texas Instruments – Why Work for Us?

Look around you. TI is there. Our analog and embedded processing technologies power every type of electronics you touch – from laptops and cameras to auto infotainment systems and medical technologies to video games… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Texas Instruments CEO Rich Templeton. All 212 reviews posted anonymously by Texas Instruments employees.