Texas Instruments Reviews

Reset
3.7
Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Very good work life balance with flexible hours (in 130 reviews)

• Good work environment, friendly coworkers (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 28 reviews)

1,279 Employee Reviews

1. TI isn't just a great place to work -- it's a great place for your career.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Stafford, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Stafford, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

There are many reasons. The atmosphere at TI is extremely conducive to work. Strict hours are not enforced; you have plenty of leeway to restructure your work around personal life as long as you get the job done. I enjoy excellent relationships with my peers and my managers, and I get great feedback both when I do well and when there are areas where I need improvement. TI is also fairly good at rewarding people who make significant contributions to the organization's success. Other reasons? Great job security (I've been here for well over four years and many of the people I work with are the same people I met here when I first started) and stability, great benefits (including educational assistance), an employee stock purchase program (great savings tool!), and a perfect vacation/time bank system. But above all, as an engineer TI has given me an environment where I can do what I do best and enjoy doing it. I love working here and probably wouldn't move to another company even if they paid more.

Cons

There aren't many downsides, but I'll try to list a few. First there's the "cube farm" - lots and lots of cubicles. Then, being in the semiconductor industry, your career choices are somewhat limited should you choose to change jobs. A lot of what you learn to do at TI is very proprietary -- in essence, choosing a career at TI is a long-term investment. Also as a product engineer, unless you prove yourself to be innovative and stand out from the pack, you could find your work quite monotonous as you end up doing the same type of things over and over again. Working here can also be quite stressful at times, especially if you're in an organization that deals with quality. Deadlines and customer commitments could mean very long hours and tedious work for stretches. You need to be able to work well independently or you could struggle.

Advice to Management

Consider investing in adding more facilities to the work environment to provide a more holistic experience for employees. This should include more wellness centers, fitness facilities, dining, recreation and other general conveniences. By investing more in the overall life quality of its employees, TI can reap better productivity benefits and reinforce its talent assets.

TI is a great place to work!

Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

The high level of transparency in management, attention to ethics, respect for people and the opportunities to excel. The people here are really great. I have no fears that TI will become another Enron, or that our retirement benefits will disappear, or that there is some big secret that management is not telling us. We get all of the news, whether we want to hear it, whether it's good news or bad!

Cons

It is more then a 40 hour a week job, with today's connectivity options we are never really "oof-line" no matter where we may be or what time it is.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what is needed in the markets.

There is still a little room for improvement in Texas Instruments.

Current Employee - Design Section Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Design Section Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

The company really cares for its employees. I have seen the effort placed in the implementation of the "There are no bad performers, there are mismatches between skills and job assignments". The company really goes out of the way to find other opportunities when someone is not measuring up to the expectations and demands of a job.

Cons

Commitments for too many projects are made without taking into account the input of the designers. They are just agrfeed with the customer based on hypothetical conditions (and staffing).

Advice to Management

Please come to the realization that there is a limit to the productivity that can be expected from everybody, regardless of how good they are.

5. Nice place to work if you can handle the Hot wather in Dallas

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Good place to work and nice pay.

Cons

Dallas campus is a little large.

Advice to Management

None

TI is enabling its customers to win in the marketplace by delivering some of the most advanced IC's in the industry.

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Texas Instruments has the widest array of customers of any SC company. There are great opportunuties to excel and to work on the latest technologies and newest products. Innovation is valued and there is a culture of always striving to do better. Never be satisfied with the good results of yesterday.

Cons

SC is a tough and competitive market. Costs are always being driven down and expectations are high with ever tightening schedules. TI is not immune to these pressure and it can make for some stressful days.

Advice to Management

Let's not let go of niche markets too easily.

7. Quick and simple review of TI

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Great work environment. Plenty of room growth and advancement.

Cons

High pressure situations and stressful customer interactions are very common

Advice to Management

Take more of an interest in the day to day activities of the workers.

8. Amazing place to work and grow!!

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

The work environment and working with the most experienced people in this field is what is the coolest thing about TI.

Cons

Lot of steps on the ladder on the way to upper management!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Overall a good place to work

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Flexible work environment with pretty good benefits. Lots of opportunities to work in high tech products and learn new things. Overall a can do attitude in the company. The company also is pretty open to transferring within the company and has many many employees who are proud to be there over 20 years. Stock options and benefits in general as well as company attitude makes it a great place to work in terms of finding time off to have a life as needed.

Cons

Giant company with good old boy network to go with. Like any other organization this big, it becomes very importan to know the right people and make sure they like you. Interview process is painful as well.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more power and control over their own jobs.

Keep it going...

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

This company will always challenge you to do your best. I've tended to receive a stretch assignment just before I was really ready. They put trust in you, give you the support you need to succeed and then you are expected to make it happen. Another key reason is that this is one of the most ethical companies around. YOu never have to go to bed wondering what bad headline will be in the paper then next morning. THis company is great, and really tries to be beyond reproach.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, but if you are great at what you do this is where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Good place for a career if you like Texas.

Former Employee - Technology Strategy Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technology Strategy Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Overall, a very good place to work. Lots of opportunity and overall the company treats employees well. (was a great place to be in the early 2000s. When everyone else was laying off, the damage at TI was minimal). Pay and benefits were very good. Management was strong and supportive, especially in the sales organization.

Cons

Most opportunities are in Dallas...if you don't want to move there, you will hit a ceiling. Some groups had a passive aggressive culture.

Advice to Management

Balance more innovation with the customer centric culture, sometimes it felt like we were being left behind some of the more innovative companies in the industry.

Showing 1,279 of 1,407 reviews