Texas Instruments Reviews

Reset
3.7
Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Very good work life balance with flexible hours (in 130 reviews)

• Good work environment, friendly coworkers (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 28 reviews)

1,278 Employee Reviews

TI is missing its abusing their engineer's talent

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Famous semiconductor company with nick name of "training institute".

Cons

Enginners are treated like cheap labors. Long hours and stupid, rude and unfair management teams is destroying TI.

Advice to Management

Wake up and get rid of the middle management levels. Listen to the engineers and technicians for real inputs of their technical leads.

Tiny Income and Training Institute... take your pick.

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

It's a good place to get started initially as an engineer, just to get the big firm experience.

Cons

Middle management can be absolutely technically clueless and ride employees to get results. I was in a group where there was clear favoritism as far as compensation and rewards go. Our group was grinded slowly to oblivion as they downsized our fab and eventually laid everyone off. The upper management appears to just really care about their compensation; they actually lied to members of our group, telling us that our organization was fine, just 2 months prior to the layoff annoucement.

Advice to Management

None. I'm just glad to be out of there.

A Good Place To Work - If You Have Low Expectations

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Brand name. Easier to access customers than smaller company.

Cons

Lack of respect for lower level employees. Promotions and pay rises not linked to competence or performance. Office politics and your ability to align yourself with the right people is the only thing that will drive your career forward here. There is a significant gap between what senior management says and how strategy is implemented by the lower levels of management. By promoting based on office politics rather than ability there are some truly horrible managers.

Advice to Management

Always keep in mind who is doing the work to keep your salary higher than ours.

Bad management.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

The name is good. That is it!

Cons

No respect in any ways in the manager's eyes.

Advice to Management

Slimming down and selling off business sectors is how TI has remained afloat for years now. Current company management has shown the inability to compete and grow revenue. My guess is TI will totally get out of the wireless business and focus strictly on the analog market which they are betting their future on. TI's wireless business is losing market share and dragging down overall company revenues.

TI is headed in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Strong technical talent at TI. Engineers are given the tools they need to get the job done.

Cons

Poor business teams that fail to execute. Technical success does not translate to product success given business team failures. Management team communicates business decisions poorly. Long hours are asked to work on projects that are then ended before product goes to market. Senior staff is given "hidden" job opportunities while individual contributors are not given the same opportunities.

Advice to Management

This company has shown no ability to execute on an embedded strategy. The inability of Texas Instruments to develop and grow software capabilities will prevent execution of any embedded strategy.

Time for Rich Templeton to leave. His performance is directly tied to the company's STOCK performance.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Good working environment and friendly co-workers

Cons

Good old boy network. It is not what you know, but who knows you makes big difference as to how one can excel in the company

Advice to Management

Look at the recent stock price of GOOG, AAPL, and RIMM and find out why people do not care more about TXN. I think it is time for Rich Templeton to step down as chairman of the board so board can decide in the future whether Rich can continue serve as CEO or not.

PM role

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Decent pay, good exposure. Great place to start a career, but lousy to continue past 5 years.

Cons

Horrible review structure. Accomplishments don't matter. Ole' boy network in full effect.

Advice to Management

Get real leaders, not engineers that you decide to give power to and can't inspire. Good Engineer /= Good leader. Tech staff is a joke.

DSP Dallas

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Opportunity to learn various tools and technologies used in IC design.

Cons

Management is terrible at all levels. Only place where I have worked where your own manager tries to discredit your work while trying to claim credit for it himself in a different forum. Feels like a sweatshop. No opportunities to grow. Most of the managers are busy playing the blame game. 90% of the people dont do any useful work ...the 10% that do are overloaded. Most of the sharp young employees in my group leave after a couple of years as they see there is no point in staying on.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and trying to compete with your employees or people who are reporting to you!!

TI

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Profit sharing and ESPP program most of the managers are great to work for.

Cons

very political and gives no importance to the amount of effort and results. Seniority is a big thing, and does not encourage new hires in this regards. The TECH Staff program is all political and not based on actual accomplishments, it's mind blowing to see the people they pass up and the people they promote, they give an extraordinary amount of leverage to minorities in TECH staff, raises, hiring etc. which is great if your a minority otherwise be prepared to get passed over (read between the lines).

Changes at TI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Texas Instruments is a good place to start a career in terms of intial experience. Alot of very knowledgable engineers to learn from.

Cons

Recent changes at TI have disenfrachised alot of the senior engineering staff. While in the past I would have easily recommended friends to join the team, with the current direction I now would hesitate to make such a recommendation.

Advice to Management

I would listen to senior technical staff and try to gain from their experience and suggestions. Remember that it is the guys working on the front line that makes the company innovative and successful.

Showing 1,278 of 1,415 reviews