Texas Instruments

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,113 reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton

Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life (in 116 reviews)

• Great people, benefits, work environment -- when far from corporate headquarters in Dallas (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights
1,113 Employee Reviews

Fourteen years with a great company.

Business Planner (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHuge variety of jobs: semiconductor Manufacturing and Engineering, Finance and Operations, Facilities Engineering, Worldwide Procurement and Logistics, Business Operations, Program Management.

ConsBecause it's a 24/7/365 worldwide business, there is no end to the work and the job, though exciting, never ends. Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage, but don't let your employees flap in the wind because they need some help. Make it your business to find out what they need.

Good company

Prosgood work-life balance, nice environment

Consneed to improve senior management tactics

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good company to work with

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWork life balance and flexible working environment

Consfocus on analog business and digital business is going down

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting technical work

Analog IC Design Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey have world class computer systems, massive parallel processors, great technical support. It was pretty amazing. I was a contractor working remotely so I was only at their facility a couple times for meetings.

ConsThe project management was a little crazy. It was a couple months before we actually had a manager. We had conference calls every week which was often not necessary.

Great place to work

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, competitive pay, profit-sharing, and great co-workers.

ConsSometimes people are let go, but that happens everywhere.

Experienced Hires Beware

Program Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCompany is actively managing the business portfolio to make itself more competitive. Quick to make decisions about which businesses to nurture and which ones to cut their losses.

ConsThe work culture feels very old from the calculator days. It's also an entrenched culture and you frequently here "that's the way we've always done it." There is no formal process to onboard you and little assistance is offered to help you navigate the organizational landmines. When you ask questions about why things are the way they are, you often get a confused look because it is so embedded in their day-to-day it is not recognizable to them. Also no formal performance review process is conducted. Your annual salary adjustment is the primary feedback on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is too big not to have more formal processes in place to manage employees. The culture is in desperate need of an overhaul in conjunction with the new business direction into analog markets.

Good learning. Not sure about future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFlexible company. Good learning & personal growth

ConsNot sure about where the company is headed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risk.

Great in technology, but life and work balance should be improved tremendously.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging, reasonable pay and perk, large resources of knowledge. Very good environment for single to gain experiences before moving to more life/work balance companies or for married engineers.

ConsThis is not a good place for married engineers even though pay, benefits, and time off are very reasonable or a little above average. Management pays too much attention to getting things out, but does not pay enough attention to quality of products or employees' lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance life work, and your employees will work extra time for free at home or in the office to assure quality and robust products.

I learn things that is very useful to use in other line of work.

Assembler (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe training was very good learning experince. for all the 21yrs that I was there. I work in all areas in photo.
    Then I transfer to plasma I was full train in that area on all tool set. I love the training I got in all.

ConsIt was hard to get time-off when it came to vacation time,holidays if your time is less than your co-workers they have first pick.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dodn't have any advice about upper management.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Don't bother moving in all your family photos, personal items...never know how long you'll be there

Process Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, more or less friendly (depending on your work group, who you know), nice campus atmosphere, like a college - nice landscaping, places to walk or bicycle. Some very smart people here (as well as some very average people).

ConsPeople who have been here for years tend to get away with anything, can say anything, be extremely rude, with impunity...you may have to bite your lip a lot and just put up with it since you will have little recourse. Workplace bullying is supposedly not tolerated, but it definitely happens. Layoffs are very common - I knew only a very few who had never been laid off. Many had been more than once but were 'lucky' to come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell people who are going to be laid off that you have two billion dollars in cash, that the company is doing very well. Care about the people who in essence make your fat paychecks possible.

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!