Texas Medical Center

Administrative Assistant/Payroll Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Texas Medical Center

Pros

Great benefits, excellent pension (company paid)

Cons

Change in rein dismantled great benefits.

One of the worst places I've worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the type of work I did and the people I worked with on a day to day basis

Cons

The management was awful! Executive management micro-managed everything basically because they didn't know or could understand their own jobs. Don't trust HR for anything! Gossipy and conniving group of women. They are not their to help you; in fact, they will do any and everything to make your experience there miserable. Plus, who are you going to complain to when HR sucks?! They pay below scale and the benefits were mediocre at best. You never knew who was out to get you. Miserable place to work.

None, they are useless.

Degree Not needed

I worked at Texas Medical Center

Pros

Pay and Health Benefits, Some company meals are provided

Cons

Managers who have no degree questioning why some of their employees make more then they think they should earn, also some managers are still there that have lost the company money, and the manager have their favorites, whatever you do just keep looking for another job, this place has changed so much since I was there. This job was good until the change, you have all these new procedures and people not being held accountable for the company mistakes in the past.

Make sure some of the Managers keep their comments about different cultures and why people are given a pass sometimes, just the world we live in now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Future unless your not going anywhere

Former Employee - Unemployed  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and use to be the benefits

Cons

Managers wondering why some employees make debating they are overpaid, the past managers were nice, let people know things, up and coming events, future plans and investments

Have your employees state what is needed in the company and how to make it more comfortable without people wondering if they are going to have a job each November, it should be noted

An odd and mostly unpleasant place to work

Current Employee - Procurement  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX

I have been working at Texas Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OK pay and benefits, was near my house and the actual workday was a breeze.

Cons

TMC preaches about policies and procedures but no one really follows or cares to enforce either. Safety, cost savings and quality are supposedly HUGE concerns to the company, but less of an actual mindset and more-so a neat things to talk about in meetings. Every project is value engineered to work for the short term. I guess it's a way to ensure future work or to just get by until it's someone else's problem. OSHA and safety requirements are simply theories and burdens. More time is spent getting around policies than simply following them. Budgets are just imaginary $$$$$ in imaginary buckets. TMC is a private non-profit organization that collects "annual assessments" (essentially HOA fees) from the 50+ member institutions within our campus. When we run out of said buckets of money we then try to strong arm our member institutions to foot the bill.

The younger or newer employees (with these apparently irrelevant things called college degrees) who haven't been with the company their entire life are deemed outcasts. The good old boys and girls that started their careers at TMC as admins or maintenance guys rule the roost. If you don't "drink the kool-aid" you get "re-organized". There are easily 20 Vice Presidents that spend their entire day in meetings rather than managing their actual staff. Of those said 20 VP's half have college degrees that they attained online. For a company with less than 200 employees the number of Managers, Directors, or VP's is just excessive, especially when the maintenance department makes up roughly half the work force. There are literally departments that have 1 or two people in them...typically with just a VP or director and an admin.

Zumba classes, healthy living seminars, weekly birthday & anniversary cake parties, and promises of change are doled out in turn when the natives get restless, while upper management covers their backsides to fight off the likes of intimidation, workplace bullying, malintent, and race discrimination (see Kool-aid mentioned above). Cold, calculated plans of attack are put in place when they feel someone is about to expose their dilapidated and outdated management strategies. Speaking your mind is strictly forbidden and retaliatory headcount reductions or reorganization, or workforce optimization, or whatever they call it next are swiftly carried out. Glazed, painted over and craftily delivered presentations to employees about why they should be grateful to be working at such a great company.

Stop pretending to be something you aren't and know your role. You are the landlord of the largest medical center in the world. You are simply responsible for the maintenance and management of the land and any facilities that may be on it. You need to focus on treating your tenants better and get better at supporting them.

I learned alot of skills but other than that it wasn't a good experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center

Pros

They hire anyone. They hire a lot of externs. They have many locations in San Antonio. The hiring process is fast.

Cons

They offer no flexibility in schedules. They hire no part time employees. All clinics appear to have 1st shift treated better than 2nd shift. 2nd shift always works late and never gets out at 11:30pm. The clinics close at 11pm.

listen and treat all shifts the same. Allow those who deserve promotions to get them don't just hand them out to people who are idiots and incompetent.

Lots of good skills to learn but there's no respect.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center

Pros

The amount of skills you are able to learn. Such as IV's, X-ray(which you can't use to get a job elsewhere) and venipuncture.

Cons

Lack of respect is a big factor. Clinic managers treat their day shifts like angels and disrespect their night shifts.

Listen to your employees. Retrain the managers so they can give each shift the same respect. Allow for advancement too.

TMC is the most miserable place to work! What a waste of 12-years.

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Texas Medical Center

Pros

Pay and benefits are all that TMC has going for it.

Cons

TMC is a company of 150 people - 22 of which are VPs. It is a very poorly run organization. Most employees come to work afraid on a day to day basis that they will be fired for little or no reason. The very worst experience of my life.

None. Not worth the time.

Worked for Texas Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!