Texas Roadhouse

Updated August 19, 2014

3.9

Texas Roadhouse CEO W. Kent Taylor
W. Kent Taylor

Pros
  • The work environment is very relaxed (in 15 reviews)

• Cash, flexible schedule, company who cares about employees, independence (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Average or below pay & long hours (in 11 reviews)

• Working for tips on a server wage while paying other employees wages through tip share (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Service manager

Current Employee - Service Manager  in  Menifee, CA
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Menifee, CA

Pros

Advancements, competitive salary, fun place to work, teamwork, family atmosphere w coworkers.

Cons

Working long hours, working nights, weekends and holidays.

Let the manager know! There is always room for advancement with Texas Roadhouse.

If you're looking for a job purely for fun, this is the place.

Former Employee - Server  in  Papillion, NE
    Former Employee - Server in Papillion, NE

Pros

Staff are great people for the most part. Friendly and always getting together outside of work. Minimal drama. Managers are laid back and joke with everyone. Training is well thought out and detailed, except for the dancing (that's kind of pick it up as you go). They always have plenty of staff so having days off is typically easy to get.

Cons

Like I said in the title, if you want a fun job because you're bored, this is a great place. If you need real money and hours and good sections, not your place. They have their favorites who have brown nosed their way into the inner circle (or they are a young, tan, pretty blonde girl) and unless you plan on doing the same, you won't make money. Walking home with $15 after a lunch or opening shift is fairly common and the managers simply blame the servers. They push up-selling SO much which is fine, but even if you are up-selling, the clientele simply don't see the need to tip 20%. I've been a server for years and I am typically in the top 3 for best money at the end of the night. And here, the money was TERRIBLE and I wasn't alone.

Value the staff you have and invest in them. I realize everyone is replaceable, but the turnover rate for staff is unbelievable. Having bosses that are fun is great, but we have bills and families to feed. It is first and foremost, a job. if you invest time into your servers, they could handle more than three four tops or one large party at a time. They hold back the staff that can do so, and make us leave.

Poor clientele

Former Employee - Server  in  Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Server in Dover, DE

Pros

Always busy. Lots of contests and chances to earn rewards.

Cons

Clientele tips equal about 10-15%.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh, it's a job.

Pros

-The environment can be really fun and laid back.
    -The 30% discount and free bread and drinks are always great.
    -Scheduling is really flexible, and management is willing to work with your shifts if you request a couple days off
    -Great way to work on your "people skills" and it's always nice to make new friends with fellow employees
    -Hiring is really quick and easy for the most part

Cons

-The pay isn't the greatest and it isn't consistent at all; you really never know what you get paid until your check goes through your account. (pay is about $3/hr + tip share) I've had shifts that were overwhelmingly busy and I end up believing that I will get paid a decent amount the following payday. Yeah, wrong. You never really know.
    -Schedules are really inconsistent sometimes. I've ended up working about 4 days a week most weeks, and only 1 or 2 the following weeks.
    -The training was very lackluster. It was very spitball-ish, but, granted, they did know what they were talking about.
    -Also, the way they treat new employees can be really shady at times. Fellow employees treat you as if you are the new kid in school, basically; they can be very reluctant to help you at times if you are new and they expect you to know all of your duties right off the bat. That can be very uncomfortable.
    -Shoppers. Oh, to deal with shoppers is so stressful. You never know who a shopper may be, and if you end up not telling the guest the restaurant story, you could be fired right off the bat. I believe that's very extreme, but it's not my restaurant to run.
    -The environment when dealing with fellow employees can come off as being very high school-esque and immature. The drama is very annoying, but as long as you keep out of it, you're fine for the most part.
    -As said in other reviews, there is a bit of favoritism between management and employees, and that can be very uncomfortable and unwelcoming. If we're supposed to be treated like "family," why play favorites?

Overall, I'm pleased with the restaurant itself, but think about giving employees a bit more wiggle room for pay. And I do think firing someone for not telling the story is really extreme; if anything, a warning should be brought up, but if it happens again, other consequences are appropriate.

Can't wait to get out

Current Employee - Server  in  Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Mansfield, TX

Pros

The tips, even those aren't the greatest!

Cons

Management, Co-workers, and business (or lack thereof)

Act professional, you know, like you're supposed to.

It's OK.

Current Employee - Texas Roadhouse Hostess  in  Fort Bliss, TX
    Current Employee - Texas Roadhouse Hostess in Fort Bliss, TX

Pros

Great way to get started in the restaurant business, managers defend employees if needed, decent pay, you can start as a hostess and go up from there.

Cons

Hours suck, some coworkers do not want to do their job, managers do not want to teach me anymore than seating when there is plenty more to do as a hostess.

Teach employees more if they're willing to learn, stop cutting employee hours. I am willing to work full time hours and im getting less than 15 per week.

Service Manager

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

You get to wear jeans

Cons

Lots of hours. Had to show up for meetings on days off. Very reluctant to give you vacation time.

Great work environment, I felt welcomed on my first day.

Current Employee - Hostess  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Hostess in Columbus, OH

Pros

Flexibility for students, Free rolls and salad. Who doesn't love honey butter?

Cons

I wish they were open early every day.

Terrific workplace environment

Current Employee - N-Motion  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - N-Motion in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great corporate culture, from philanthropic efforts to employee recognition. The leadership does a great job making the work environment fun, while still keeping the sense of accountability and professionalism. Co-workers are all smart, outgoing people who you can consider friends and each department is unique.

Cons

I honestly can not think of an aspect of the job I do not like. The restaurant industry can turn some people off, but as far as companies go Texas Roadhouse is far and away the best that I've been around.

Keep up the good work!

Great College Job

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

Pros

Interact with a tremendous amount of people on a daily basis. Whether its guests or the 50+ employees that might be on during a single shift, you get to interact with people constantly while you work which makes shifts fly by. Great team atmosphere and ability to make pretty good money with tips

Cons

Working for tips on a server wage while paying other employees wages through tip share. Consumes your social life as you spend every night and most weekends at the restaurant. Don't stick around as a server if you graduate! Terrible to see people in their late 20s with college degrees still waiting tables.

Hire more male servers and don't keep front of house 95% female and back of house 99% male

Worked for Texas Roadhouse? Contribute to the Community!