Texas State Technical College

1. Great college to work for

Former Employee - Secretary in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Waco, TX

I worked at Texas State Technical College

Pros

Great benefits like insurance, retirement and vacation. Family first.

Cons

Lack of raises and opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Provide merit raises. Give cost of living raises every 2 years

2. Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Waco, TX

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoy working with young students and helping them become successful. College motto is Changing Lives and that's what we do which is very rewarding.

Cons

Pay is not nearly what you would get if working for a service company.

Overall poor

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time

Pros

-Good time-off, 8 hours vac. and sick each per month plus 14 paid holidays on top of this
    -My boss is very lenient and understanding, willing to work with me if I have an emergency
    -Co-workers are generally easy to work with
    -Benefits are decent

Cons

-The pace of work is very slow, it's hard to get things done in an orderly and timely fashion
    -Salary is horrible, also in speaking with those who have been here longest there have been very few raises
    -Training is almost non-existent, I did get forklift certified here
    -You spend most of your time waiting on administrative decisions before getting any work done, very bureaucratic environment
    -No overtime pay, just comptime
    -Does not compare well with other educational institutions in terms of salary, PTO, overtime

If you are over 50 looking for a place to earn a second retirement and don't care about pay, TSTC might be for you.

Current Employee - Applications Administrator in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Administrator in Waco, TX

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its a state job, with state benefits but most of these benefits are available with any employer. Matching 6.25% contributions to employer IRA, Standard Texas state TRS/ERS benefits, including free employer covered healthcare for the employee, $200 for employee and children, $400 for employee, children, spouse. Dental $35 per person. 1 year after hire you can take classes at TSTC at the associate level for $15 per cr hr, which for non-skilled labor would be a great deal, but if your already a professional with at least a 2yr degree its useless.

Cons

Lower level supervisors and mid level management are much more concerned about keeping up the appearance of competence than suggestions for improvement, in fact they seem threatened by it. Many employees have been there for 10+ years in the same position and have the connections and political clout to keep from getting replace by qualified employees. The pay isn't satisfactory by any measure and although the chancellor has taken the initiative to do a survey of other colleges in the state to address pay issues those measure still haven't been implemented over a year and half later. Taking into account the cost of living in other metro areas you'd earn 35-50% more by staying in the private sector. However, pay isn't the biggest issue, the incompetence of your supervisors and managers are. Yes there are exceptions to this, but in the main on the day you graduate from the community college you'll be more qualified than the person you will report to and the worse part is knowing until they retire you won't be promoted. Working for this employer means staying in the same job for a decade or more.

Advice to Management

Fire those employee's that after 5yrs plus still don't have the entry level qualifications to be in their field. Adjust the salaries of those who are qualified and have the skills and credentials to reflect that you value competence. You've already determined that the pay you offer isn't in line with industry standards, adjust those immediately. I'm currently employed by the college, and at least in my department any study of the data will prove incompetence in the amount of employee down time, time to resolution, and resulting loss of income to the college.

6. Good job to have while a student

Former Employee - Applied Engineering Tutor in Sweetwater, TX
    Former Employee - Applied Engineering Tutor in Sweetwater, TX

I worked at Texas State Technical College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taught subject matter relevant to my field of study, got to know teachers/professors well, kept core classes fresh as I progressed through higher level classes

Cons

Not many jobs to choose from, earnest but lacking atmosphere, old equipment, mediocre students

Advice to Management

Upgrade lab equipment, be more demanding of students, expand curriculum

Great people, lousy pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, family is very important to them.

Cons

No training, opportunity for advancement, or pay increases. when you take into account cost of living, I now make less than I did when I started. Very poor communication from upper management. Promotions may be given but you are unlikely to see an adjustment to your pay unless you are high enough up the chain. Tons of politics and petty power struggles by leadership.

Advice to Management

The direction the College is going is what is needed. Those in leadership positions that are still playing political and power games need to be jettisoned for the good of the College.

OK, if you only need something to do later in life and expectation are not very high, can be fulfilling

Current Employee - Faculty in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Faculty in Waco, TX

Pros

Freedom to experiment with various technologies and training provided to support position when budget is available

Cons

two 3 percent raises in 11 years, cannot attend any training or conferences that support professional education out-of-state for staff and faculty

Advice to Management

consider what message is being sent when staff and faculty are told one thing but when it comes to administration the same rules to do seem to apply

9. Great Company

I have been working at Texas State Technical College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Management, and Co-workers. Company will spend top dollar to facilitate required duties.

Cons

Th weather impacts aviation productivity

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Organization

Pros

Great people. Depending on what campus you are on, you are made to feel like you belong.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper managment. Very political. No continuity from campus to campus.

Advice to Management

Learn to put your egos and personal thoughts aside. There are people more important than you there. Make decisions accordingly.

11. Amazing group of colleagues to work with

Pros

Hands on training for students

Cons

Not enough programs to offer students

Advice to Management

Communicate