Texas Workforce Commission

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas W. Pauken

Great place to work if you want to help people.

Employment Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsHelping others. Good benefits. Great hours.

ConsNo loyalty to workers. Lazy people are hard to let go.

Good place to workj

Senior Staffing Consultant (Current Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsGreat to help people when they need it

ConsSome people are not motivated

Just an OK place

ProsRelaxed, easy going schedules and flexible

ConsLow Salary, no raise offered to employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT management

IT Worker (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt's a relaxed working environment, and there are enough key people who are forward-thinking and really care in the IT department to give hope for the future. There is enough good technology to work on to be technically challenged and implement good things. The agency's web applications have millions of users, with several thousand concurrent users, and they perform well. The networks and hardware are excellent too.

ConsThe technology is divided between the old (Mainframe, Cobol, Natural) and the new (Java, Unix/Linux, OO). It is generally accepted that the agency is transitioning from old to new, so that's a good thing. But the IT management is mainly from the old technology side, and they lack the knowledge to know what to do with new technology. Even though there are some people who demonstrate the technology possibilities every day, the management still makes horrible, short-sighted decisions, and they are susceptible to fast-talking technology vendors with their silver-bullet solutions that always turn into huge disasters. Others in management are just looking forward to retirement and don't seem to care, or they don't want to make a decision that might "rock the boat". Another problem is the salaries in the IT department are considered lower than even other Texas agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote and/or hire more people from the new technology side of the agency. Trust your technology people to move the agency forward in a positive direction, and stop listening to companies like Gartner and Pegasystems, who see your IT dept. as fresh meat for the taking. Start reining in the large number of differing technologies. Make a decision: either start paying the salaries required to hire and retain good technology folks, or continue to depend on contractors, but don't fire the contractors and continue to pay low salaries - that's a recipe for disaster a few years down the road!

Relaxed Environment

Programmer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood salary and flexible. time off policy is great and demand is not very high.

ConsVery mixed environment. Unix, AIX, SQL, Powerbuilder, Java, .NET

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on one platform.

Potential for greatness

IT Worker (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe work life balance is really good, depending on where you work you can get a lot of good training and experience and be given a lot of opportunities. If you keep in mind the goal of the agency - you know what you're doing really helps people.

ConsStaffing - it's hard to hire good people and keep them, and sometimes difficult to help the bad employees part company. It's pretty typical of a state agency. There is a high level of red tape, particularly around the outsourced data center.

It was ok at best

Business Employment and Training Consultant (Former Employee) Texarkana, TX

ProsOpportunity to help those in need get back up on their feet

ConsUpper management was all about what they could get and not interested in helping the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire them all

Coworkers are nice but pay is horrible

Attorney (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople, State holidays, and flexible scheduled.

ConsLow pay and no upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay

I found this position personally fulfilling.

Workforce Development Specialist (Former Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsHelping job seekers was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The mentoring I received from fellow employees was exceptional. The work environment was hectic, pay was okay for me, and benefits outstanding.

ConsOften under-staffed, with quotas difficult to maintain. Work stations in an open public office with a lot of distractions and little privacy for clients. some

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff adequately for the demands of this position.

Nice place to work but lots of red tape and nepotism

Workforce Development Specialist (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

Prosvery rewarding helping people and great experience to use for other positions/jobs

Conseveryone seems to be related somehow. Getting a raise or promotion is like pulling teeth.

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiring cousins and other family members

Worked for Texas Workforce Commission? Contribute to the Community!