Texas Youth Commission

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.7

Richard Nedelkoff

Juvenile Correctional Officer, Rehabilite juvenile denqulincy back into society .

Current Employee - Juvenile Correction Officer in Crockett, TX
    Current Employee - Juvenile Correction Officer in Crockett, TX

I have been working at Texas Youth Commission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The career ladder was wonderful.

Cons

Some of the supervisior did not enhance policey and producers which cause a conruption with the program.

The facility I work was close down and from what I hear from family and friends that things have gotten alot better.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Jco in Gainesville, TX
    Former Employee - Jco in Gainesville, TX

I worked at Texas Youth Commission full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Management cares only about covering their behinds and nothing for the line staff who suffer. I had to work more than one 24 hour shift as if you left they fired you. More than one incident was listed as "horse play" where they refused to report incidents. "Overtime Bank" so they would not have to pay you for your work. At one point I had 171 hours over time in one pay period

No advice other then get out of the job as you know nothing about running a correctional facility, and I speak from experience having run a 250 Federal Community Correctional Facility, and a 350 bed work release facility. There are more problem at the one facility in Gainesville then I have at two facilities in any period of time. Learn how to train your staff, not to dance, but to be correctional offices Learn leadership as I saw none in two years work there as the management was to busy trying to save their butts. Yelling at your staff in front of your inmates, degrading them in front of the kids you want them to control, punishing them if they try to actually help one of these kids. The rate at which these kids return to crime should have been a red flag. It is a good thing this organization is on it way out the state of Texas is much better then this.

poorly run organization

Former Employee - Teacher in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Texas Youth Commission full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good pay for teachers and state benefits

Cons

low pay for corrections staff, changing priorities, poor management, reward incompetence

better oversight of facilities, cohesive action plan, hire professionals and promote the good ones.

Mentally challenging

Former Employee - Juvenile Correctional Officer II in Crockett, TX
    Former Employee - Juvenile Correctional Officer II in Crockett, TX

I worked at Texas Youth Commission full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and tons of overtime

Cons

Mandatory overtime in some cases

Too much favortism in several facilities

disillusioned former employee

Former Employee - Teacher in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Texas Youth Commission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

state benefits and salaries
    regular hours

Cons

no respect for employees
    covered up all of the problems
    goals constantly changing
    procedures written in erasable ink

My experience with the Texas Youth Commission has been a pleasant one overall. ``

Current Employee - Instructor in Mart, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Mart, TX

I have been working at Texas Youth Commission

Pros

Training was top notch.
    Support after training was great.
    Overall atmosphere was great.

Cons

The commission was not very forthcoming with the truth as it related to a reduction in force.

WhIt en reducing force, don't just look at numbers. Take a greater look at the lives it will impact. If there are those who are retirement age, pffer retirement first to those people. Keep your workforce that is not yet retirement age because it will not be the one at the top of the salary chain--the prospective retirees will.

Long hours, frustrating policies and little managerial support.

Former Employee - Juvenile Correctional Officer in Mart, TX
    Former Employee - Juvenile Correctional Officer in Mart, TX

I worked at Texas Youth Commission

Pros

The pay and compensation is good compared to similar contract correctional positions.
    The mid-level management was very supportive when I needed emergency time off for my family.
    Long term benefits are great and health insurance is free.

Cons

1. Advancement in this organization is very political, and so you can literally work very hard and not ever get anywhere.
    2. The work hours are very long, leaving little time for family and life in general.
    3. Management is very disorganized and intentionally limits inter-organization communication.
    4. State legislatures are constantly trying to close facilities, which leads to regular uncertainty about job security.
    5. Policies concerning behavioral management are idealistic and unrealistic leading to the youth gaining a strong understanding of how to manipulate policies from caseworkers (who happily tell them), and management doing little to solve such problems when they arise other than blaming staff members for anything the youth do. This creates distrust, tattling, and backbiting, within the organization leading to even lower morale.
    6. Absenteeism is a major problem at T.Y.C. facilities and management does little to curb the problem. At my particular facility there were several people that were related to the Superintendent and so they would call-in every day and nothing was ever done.
    7. T.Y.C. requires the staff that come to work to cover for those who call in and as such you never know when you are going to be FORCED to stay the extra four hours (total of 12) to cover for that person. Several times I was never asked to stay. I was just ignored and never relieved from my post.
    8. When the youth have major behavioral problems as a group you are never given backup. Supervisors will usually just ignore any requests for help and blame the problem on your behavioral management skills. I guess they think the youth will not figure this out and keep misbehaving.

Most of you have Business Administration education on a Masters level, and that means for sure you have had an Organizational Behavior class. There are numerous studies that convey strong evidence that happy employees are good employees. Do the research. Implement new ideas, and stop allowing call-ins and putting up with substandard work ethics. If people don't want to come to work find someone else who does and take care of all the staff that go to sleep on the night shift. Caseworkers that teach the youth how to manipulate the system should be terminated. Correctional care theories are just that, theories. Just because someone with a doctorate says something works doesn't mean that it will and when it doesn't there's a staff member to blame. Support your staff and implement the programs your given in a way that taylor's them to your facilities correctional care needs. It will not help the youth to pity them. When they turn eighteen and are adults they will be held accountable for their actions in the most severe ways and they need to be prepared for that.

TYC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, TX

I have been working at Texas Youth Commission

Pros

The benefits are nice (i.e., insurance, holidays, time-off) and the majority of the employees get along and help each other out.

Cons

The agency has gone through significant change in the past few years and the change hasn't been good. The agency doesn't appear stable. The population that TYC serves is difficult and several staff burn out quickly.

Don't forget about the employees and their hard work. Several seasoned staff have left in the past several years and it appears TYC leadership has done nothing to retain these staff.

Eh...it's o.k.

Current Employee - Statisical Clerk IV in Corsicana, TX
    Current Employee - Statisical Clerk IV in Corsicana, TX

I have been working at Texas Youth Commission

Pros

Benefits package as a state employee is great.

Cons

Pay is lower than corporate America.

This place does promote someone, but does not support that.

Get a Job For Experience Elsewhere

I have been working at Texas Youth Commission

Pros

You can get child care, case management, and some corrections experience.

Cons

You do not have a lot of room for advancement and there is a political atmosphere to job duties and a very loose interview policy that allows for circumventing the hiring point system.

Campus and agency management needs to stop listening to middle management and actually interact with and ask line staff how are things going. Not just the simple, stop in every few months and talk to about 10 staff then leave, but actually speak with staff and ask them pointed questions about current issues and assure them that you are listening and not paying lip service. Then they will have a real picture of how their staff really feel and the issues affecting turn over and dissatisfaction.