Textbroker International Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
3.4
Phillip Thune

1. This is an awesome company if you can write fast and well.

Current Employee - Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Writer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Textbroker International

Pros

You can work however little or much you want.

Cons

You have to start at the bottom.

Management is awesome.

2. Overall, all right for extra money, but they take long to rate articles.

Current Freelancer - Article Writer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Article Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Textbroker International (less than a year)

Pros

Great for extra money. If you're a level 4 or 5 writer you'll have a good amount of articles to choose from, usually. If you're below level 4, it's a very limited amount.

Cons

After the first 5 articles are written, they take a VERY long time to rate the articles and you can't write any articles until they're done rating all of them. Expect several weeks to wait for them to rate the first 5 articles. Then, the article writing can go back to normal.

Hire more raters because you take long

3. Pauper's Wages!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Textbroker International part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Talented and smart individuals. Good training.

Cons

The company doesn't know how to grow a business. They do not pay their employees a living wage. Offices are smelly.

5. Not bad for a side hustle

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Textbroker International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Textbroker is a good place to start a paid writing career with no experience. Write and submit a sample article, and within a couple of days Textbroker will rate you between 1-5 (it seems most people start at 4) and you can begin writing immediately. You will have to send in an I-9 form for tax purposes and have a PayPal account to get paid. Go to the order area, find a topic that looks interesting, read the client's instructions, and take it from there. You usually have 24 hours to write and submit an article, and the client has 96 hours to accept the article or request revisions; the article will be automatically accepted if the client doesn't respond after 96 hours. You can also check a client's profile to see if it requests a lot of revisions and steer clear of the pickier ones. You can also cancel an order if it proves to be beyond your capability.

Cons

Despite what some Textbroker authors have claimed it's highly unlikely you'll get rich or be able to quit your day job unless you're constantly writing. Many clients are not American and the instructions can be unclear. You can't use your articles as part of a portfolio. Applying to be part of a team can be tricky. If you're level 3 or below you're not going to get a lot of opportunities at articles and getting to level 5 is next to impossible.

Raise the rates a little and calm down on the comma mania.

6. Company set backs

I have been working at Textbroker International

Pros

They do pay on time

Cons

My ratings were brought down. I do not think the editor is very skilled.

7. Good Company

I have been working at Textbroker International as a contractor

Pros

You can work when you want and make a good amount of money if you write a lot. You get to work from home.

Cons

Not many cons. There may not always be a whole lot of work available. It's not the highest pay but it's alright.

8. The Home of Writers Who Make It Big

Current Intern - Writer
    Current Intern - Writer

I have been working at Textbroker International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Balanced lifestyle, diligent training process, and rewarding pay. It offers young writers a place to grow and pays quickly. It's one of the better writing places to work at offering its own content mill and university.

Cons

Working for promotion is always in mind, but challenging to achieve. Maybe if promotion had stricter ways of assessing readiness, it wouldn't feel as difficult to achieve. Preparation is a must.

Make promotions obtainable on a quarterly basis.

9. You determine the money you make. If you're a hard-working writer, you can make some great things happen with this gig.

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Textbroker International part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I originally applied for Textbroker and a few other sites for fun and some side extra cash flow. I was accepted to a few, and of all the sites, Textbroker takes the cake for me.

Most orders/instructions are very clear. You get to choose from a large pool (the pool gets bigger the higher your rating--so aim high!) of orders. So what you write is up to you. There is such a wide range of topics that I never get bored learning and writing.

It's very well-structured. If you've made a mistake choosing an order or need to cancel it, you can do so. You have to accept and write an order in a certain amount of time (the time is always ample). The client also has to accept, ask for revisions, or deny it in a certain amount of time.

What started as a side gig has become a regular, daily thing for me. It's not a 9-5, so I can write whenever and wherever I choose. And you can request a payout on a weekly basis.

Cons

Occasionally as you're sifting through orders, you'll get a few whose directions are very poorly written or confusing. The pro to this con is that you can rate directions. I usually just skip over anything I don't fully understand (if the directions are really bad) but you can also PM the client for clarification.

I've been part of a group on Textbroker before that negotiated some higher pay. That might entice writers.

10. Author

Former Contractor - Author/Editor in Alpena, MI
    Former Contractor - Author/Editor in Alpena, MI

I worked at Textbroker International as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to do, quick payment

Cons

Often low pay, hard to advance

11. Handy for summer beer cash, but not useful for employment reasons.

Current Contractor - 4-Star Author
    Current Contractor - 4-Star Author

I have been working at Textbroker International as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Real easy to anyone that is a fluent writer in English
    Interesting user interface
    OK pay per word for 5-star authors

Cons

Only paid through paypal, paypal charges fees to ship money to your bank
    Mind numbing contract writing
    Repetitive assignments
    Inconsistent volume of work
    Clients will blacklist you when you start writing more than one or two of their open orders to prevent the writing from being the same.
    Teams do not provide much benefit

Pay authors that do REAL work more. There are countless people able to do some serious writing on the site, however, they are wedged out by those who are taking articles at .7 cents a word. $3.50 for a 500 word article is just a little underpaid for anyone in the US to consider it a viable option.

Textbroker International Photos

Textbroker is active in the community.
Textbroker's CEO, Phillip Thune, is interviewed.

+ Add Photo