Textron

Be The First To
Add Photos

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly

Scott C. Donnelly

Pros:
  • "Not too many engineers are stressed out over amount of work and few complain about the work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good career growth if willing to move between companies, which could require relocation"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good rotational program, did not really like the people

Finance Intern (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Textron as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe rotational program gives you exposure to the whole company. Management really tries to help put you in a place to succeed.

ConsThe people weren't that friendly and the work wasn't that challenging. I just didn't really feel like I fit in in with the company culture.

Overall, I felt bored most of the time, and when I tried to ask for work, my bosses gave me busy work to fill up my time. I also wished that the internship program did more for their interns. A lot of times, it felt like we were just left alone and not given much to do.

Advice to Senior Managementnone really

Challenging with great potential for advancement.

UAS Flight Operator (Current Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron

ProsTextron Corp offers its employees fairly strong job security, excellent pay compared to competitors, and an opportunity to further your education through tuition assistance.

ConsTravel is often necessary and sometimes burdensome depending on your position. Typical office politics do occasionally interfere with the smooth flow of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no particular advice to current Management that I wouldn't also extend to any corporation in the world today.

Aging company, many budget cuts and layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Wilmington, MA

I worked at Textron

ProsTextron has some better divisions, but usually gives fair compensation, time off from work and many people don't have to work too hard. Some departments are filled with good people

ConsFrequent layoffs, lots of hierarchy, aging buildings, some are required to work weekends. Some departments are filled with bad people

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more cross functional training, bring in some fresh blood, make employees more excited about the company. Needs some flair.

Textron places a large gap between management and hourly employees.

Quality Auditor (Former Employee)
Wilmington, OH

I worked at Textron

ProsThe medical benefits were very good and there was a retirement plan that was fair. It was a union shop which gave better security, at least while it was still in operation.

ConsThe last few years they quit matching stock options. We went through 5 plant managers in 4 years before the doors closed in 2009. Textron needs to focus more on just the bottom dollar.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs make for a confusing operation. Promoting within the company makes for better relations.

Misleading entry promises, failed expectations and finally total betrayal.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Charleston, SC

I worked at Textron

ProsThe people and employees of Textron are friendly, kind and generally nice to be around. They are understanding if you have a problem and willing to help if they can. It is a very nice place to come to work. The company is very cognizant of work environment and does this well. Mistakes are tolerated and re-mediated.

Cons- Advancement in technical rates is poor, growth is zero. The performance evaluation procedure is a complete waste of time. The human resources employees are outsourced and do not work for Textron.
- Excessively process oriented, to the point where it is difficult to accomplish daily tasks.
- Middle management is a class on its own, most of them never did any actual work.
- Poor performers are impossible to get rid of.
- Salary is not market competitive for experience.
- Layoffs are handled poorly.
- Two layers of management has become the norm, an 'administrative' and a technical lead. This means dual the meetings and dual the wasted time.

Advice to Senior Management- Allow employees in danger of layoff to relocate or at least apply for positions elsewhere.
- Eliminate about 3 layers of management.
- Create a balance between technical and financial.
- Localize the purchasing and accounting.
- Train engineers in business accounting and explain how the system works.
- Get rid of bonuses for senior executives, if the company is laying off or raises are frozen.
- Integrate the OU's better. One company / one rule should be the mandate, not just a goal. AAI and Overwatch should not have two different personnel policies.

Was boring with not much work.

New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Textron

ProsFriendly and helpful people. Employees have good works ethics.

ConsIt's pretty far away from the major cities so commute was longer than I would have liked. Buildings were pretty old.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone feels engaged at work.

Overall, rather mediocre

Associate (Former Employee)
Providence, RI

I worked at Textron

ProsThe pay is decent, and the work-life balance is very good. Most people don't work crazy hours, and the vacation policy is very generous.

ConsIt seems like there is little opportunity for advancement. They are trying to improve the number of opportunities available, but the majority of these opportunities are in very rural places close to manufacturing facilities. It seems to be a place where time at the company and blending into the background is rewarded more-so than merit. Can be very conservative.

I liked the company, but felt that there was no way for me to advance without moving to Woburn or excessive travel.

Senior Principal Analyst (Former Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron

ProsGood pay and benefits package. Generally, co workers were helpful and friendly. Telework or work from home was heavily promoted by most supervisors.

ConsI spent a week at a training class when I first started, which was great, but they spent most of the time performing the administrative tasks (HR stuff) that all new hires need. The time would have been better spent showing me how my predecessor performed my job. There was no room for advancement within my department. I would have had to relocate or move to the internal audit group to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your training program to two weeks and have the new hire spend some time with another employee who already performs the same or a similar function to allow the new hire to get a better idea of the systems, how things are done, and what the job is all about. Assign each new hire a "buddy" to help them get oriented to Textron. This would be especially helpful for remote employees.

Great teamwork, mediocre management

Slidell, LA

I have been working at Textron

ProsWorkers dedicated to putting out quality product. Folks generally work together as a team.

Good pay and benefits

Good facilities, especially Slidell administration building

ConsManagement was not proactive enough during salad days to prepare for future. Now they are playing catch-up, struggling to compete with more established competitors for future contracts.

Insufficient and late investment in technical tools to enable employees to do their jobs more efficiently and with less error.

HR is often an impediment to attracting and keeping talent. HR recently mishandled an opportunity to move a key employee to satellite office near the customer.

Some middle-level managers have lousy people skills, or are unqualified to manage much of anything.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Augusta, GA

I worked at Textron

ProsThe division I worked in (E-Z-GO) was great at driving change and engaging employees; leadership shares a lot of information with employees.

ConsLeadership was hesitant to say "no" to any project from parent company - resulted in very heavy workload for some employees.

Worked for Textron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Textron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Textron CEO Scott C. Donnelly. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Textron employees.