Textron

Be The First To
Add Photos

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly

Scott C. Donnelly

Pros
  • The pay is decent, and the work-life balance is very good(in 3 reviews)

• Good career growth if willing to move between companies, which could require relocation(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets(in 3 reviews)

• Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company(in 3 reviews)

After 19 Years and in a High Visible Position at Corporate as a Director

Director (Former Employee) Providence, RI

Pros- used to be international but Kautex still is and you can get some good experience
    - if you were on the Pension, then it was worth sticking around
    - fly in Private Jet here and there was nice and saved time at the Airport

Cons-2 to 3 tier employee systems, the Haves, the have nots and worse the folks that have nothing
    -Health Care Plans
    -No Pension
    - 401 to linked to company stock price
    - relocation program
    - "good ole boys club still"
    -if you want to learn why "cash" is important this is a good job to learn from

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend selling and dividing up to owners that want to invest in people and processes. Textron used to be known as that type of Company when it first started out and about the early 90's lost it way to where alot of the employees will tell you it's just a job.

Cessna employee

Mechanic/Inspector (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsStable job if you've been with the company for at least 10-15 years

ConsCessna management doesn't care about employee's. One employee over heard a senior management tell a secretary who asking about the mechanics being over worked due to massive overtime, that all of the mechanics were just like any other tool the company had. When they wear out, they'll just replace them. Also, have had only two raises in since 2009 and they didn't keep up with inflation. Hence, the standard of living has been going backwards for going on four years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour biggest asset/resource is the employee's. How they go so goes the company. It would be a great idea to promote within the company instead of bringing someone from outside who doesn't know anything about, in this case, aviation.

Finance LDP Intern

Leadership Development Program - Finance (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsNever had to work more than 40 hours

ConsMost interns didn't have very meaningful exposure

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Old Boys Club

Project Manager (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsLearned Six Sigma and other functional business experience that has helped me with my career.

ConsNot a very female-friendly culture. I had male colleagues say unprofessional and in particular when I was pregnant, inappropriate comments simply because I was female. There is almost no diversity. Unless you are an old, white male, this is not the place to work.

There is absolutely no career growth or talent management. I worked with some very talented, smart people who either were laid off or left. By the time I left the company at the end of 2010, all the good talent was gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire diverse, talented people and the innovation will come.

Good rotational program, did not really like the people

Finance Intern (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsThe rotational program gives you exposure to the whole company. Management really tries to help put you in a place to succeed.

ConsThe people weren't that friendly and the work wasn't that challenging. I just didn't really feel like I fit in in with the company culture.

Overall, I felt bored most of the time, and when I tried to ask for work, my bosses gave me busy work to fill up my time. I also wished that the internship program did more for their interns. A lot of times, it felt like we were just left alone and not given much to do.

Advice to Senior Managementnone really

Challenging with great potential for advancement.

UAS Flight Operator (Current Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsTextron Corp offers its employees fairly strong job security, excellent pay compared to competitors, and an opportunity to further your education through tuition assistance.

ConsTravel is often necessary and sometimes burdensome depending on your position. Typical office politics do occasionally interfere with the smooth flow of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no particular advice to current Management that I wouldn't also extend to any corporation in the world today.

Aging company, many budget cuts and layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsTextron has some better divisions, but usually gives fair compensation, time off from work and many people don't have to work too hard. Some departments are filled with good people

ConsFrequent layoffs, lots of hierarchy, aging buildings, some are required to work weekends. Some departments are filled with bad people

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more cross functional training, bring in some fresh blood, make employees more excited about the company. Needs some flair.

Textron places a large gap between management and hourly employees.

Quality Auditor (Former Employee) Wilmington, OH

ProsThe medical benefits were very good and there was a retirement plan that was fair. It was a union shop which gave better security, at least while it was still in operation.

ConsThe last few years they quit matching stock options. We went through 5 plant managers in 4 years before the doors closed in 2009. Textron needs to focus more on just the bottom dollar.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs make for a confusing operation. Promoting within the company makes for better relations.

Misleading entry promises, failed expectations and finally total betrayal.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsThe people and employees of Textron are friendly, kind and generally nice to be around. They are understanding if you have a problem and willing to help if they can. It is a very nice place to come to work. The company is very cognizant of work environment and does this well. Mistakes are tolerated and re-mediated.

Cons- Advancement in technical rates is poor, growth is zero. The performance evaluation procedure is a complete waste of time. The human resources employees are outsourced and do not work for Textron.
    - Excessively process oriented, to the point where it is difficult to accomplish daily tasks.
    - Middle management is a class on its own, most of them never did any actual work.
    - Poor performers are impossible to get rid of.
    - Salary is not market competitive for experience.
    - Layoffs are handled poorly.
    - Two layers of management has become the norm, an 'administrative' and a technical lead. This means dual the meetings and dual the wasted time.

Advice to Senior Management- Allow employees in danger of layoff to relocate or at least apply for positions elsewhere.
    - Eliminate about 3 layers of management.
    - Create a balance between technical and financial.
    - Localize the purchasing and accounting.
    - Train engineers in business accounting and explain how the system works.
    - Get rid of bonuses for senior executives, if the company is laying off or raises are frozen.
    - Integrate the OU's better. One company / one rule should be the mandate, not just a goal. AAI and Overwatch should not have two different personnel policies.

Was boring with not much work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsFriendly and helpful people. Employees have good works ethics.

ConsIt's pretty far away from the major cities so commute was longer than I would have liked. Buildings were pretty old.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone feels engaged at work.

Worked for Textron? Contribute to the Community!