Textron

Updated July 25, 2014
3.4

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly

Pros
  • Company offers reasonable work-life balance and time-off policies (in 5 reviews)

• Good company overall with some opportunity for improvement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets (in 3 reviews)

• Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging with great potential for advancement.

Current Employee - UAS Flight Operator in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - UAS Flight Operator in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron

Pros

Textron Corp offers its employees fairly strong job security, excellent pay compared to competitors, and an opportunity to further your education through tuition assistance.

Cons

Travel is often necessary and sometimes burdensome depending on your position. Typical office politics do occasionally interfere with the smooth flow of business.

I have no particular advice to current Management that I wouldn't also extend to any corporation in the world today.

High turnover, advancement opportunities are few and far between.

Current Employee - IA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - IA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron (less than an year)

Pros

Gain familiarity with industry tools. Education reimbursement, limited personal training budget.

Cons

General dissatisfaction with management, expected to work extended hours at no additional pay. For example, if on salary, 40 hours a week must be worked, hours 40-45 are completely unpaid. Additional hours could be charged if approved, but there is rarely any money to do so.
    Sadly, Textron has a recent focus on interns to boost revenue from the government by charging the same rate for inexperienced interns as full time employees.
    As of this writing, yearly promotions are 1 1\2 months late.

Your best talent has no real reason to stay. Fix the culture, advancement and benefits top stay competitive. There is a reason new hires aren't staying long.

I liked the company, but felt that there was no way for me to advance without moving to Woburn or excessive travel.

Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron

Pros

Good pay and benefits package. Generally, co workers were helpful and friendly. Telework or work from home was heavily promoted by most supervisors.

Cons

I spent a week at a training class when I first started, which was great, but they spent most of the time performing the administrative tasks (HR stuff) that all new hires need. The time would have been better spent showing me how my predecessor performed my job. There was no room for advancement within my department. I would have had to relocate or move to the internal audit group to be promoted.

Increase your training program to two weeks and have the new hire spend some time with another employee who already performs the same or a similar function to allow the new hire to get a better idea of the systems, how things are done, and what the job is all about. Assign each new hire a "buddy" to help them get oriented to Textron. This would be especially helpful for remote employees.