Textron

Be The First To
Add Photos

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly

Scott C. Donnelly

Pros:
  • "Not too many engineers are stressed out over amount of work and few complain about the work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good career growth if willing to move between companies, which could require relocation"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company

I have been working at Textron part-time for more than a year

ProsGood company with friendly people. The administrative assistants are some of the best I've ever worked with. The project we're working on is complex and has many moving parts (literally and figuratively). Everyone is committed to producing top-quality results. Very understanding of life responsibilities. Paid holiday and sick time.

ConsSome of the employees having a problem with wanting to revisit something they think they already completed. Sometimes very resistant to take ownership of a mistake.

Solid Company

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I worked at Textron full-time for more than a year

ProsTextron has areas that are incredible - it's all about the people you work with.

ConsTextron has some areas that are less than incredible, again, all about the people you work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some work

Good & Bad

Marketing (Former Employee)
Providence, RI

I worked at Textron full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge company with a lot of strong brands that are fun and challenging to work for. They will move you and give you the opportunity to grow.

ConsIt is very corporate and so there are senior officials that will step all over people to make their next step. Very little care given to people being misstreated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the executives. You are losing top talent becuase they are blinded by their own aspirations.

opportunities for growth

Contracts (Former Employee)
Wilmington, MA

I worked at Textron as an intern for less than a year

Prosplenty of room for younger professionals since most employees have been working there for over 20-30 years

Consthe building and office space could be renovated. looks a tad old

Advice to Senior Managementadvertise your internship positions more so that students can know what you do.

Do Not Assume

Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Textron full-time for less than a year

ProsClose to my home, no long drive fighting traffic and no long hours. This is a very quiet place to work.

ConsYou never know were you stand with your direct supervisor, as management does not allow for open door policy. Now I know why everyone is so quiet, if you ask a question you may or may not get an answer,

Advice to Senior ManagementDo Not Assume

Great experience seeing different business units through the rotations

Leadership Development Program - Finance (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Textron full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of movement going on and they promote young people

ConsThey require you to move many times to further your career

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Positive internship experience

LDP Intern - Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Textron as an intern

Pros- Textron has placed a clear focus on acquiring and developing talent through internships and the LDP
- Good exposure and (mostly) meaningful assignments
- The intern event in Providence was a great chance to network with other interns, LDPs, and directors at the corporate level

Cons- Company is kind of a dinosaur without much ambition or entrepreneurial spirit

Advice to Senior ManagementRekindle the fire, get employees excited to work for Textron again, and better align employee incentives with the company's overall objectives and strategy

Good multi-industry experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Textron full-time

ProsGood exposure to a diverse set of businesses - automotive, aviation, defense, commercial. Career growth potential better if able to move, since businesses are headquartered across the country and in Europe.

ConsMost businesses are still operating at a minimum staffing level after the recession, meaning more work for the same pay.

Learned much while receiving hazardous duty pay.

Corporate Leadership Role (Former Employee)
Providence, RI

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiverse business portfolio and compensation levels

ConsCaustic culture, over reliance on Six Sigma dogma, and internal versus external orientation

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware of your individual and collective blind sides

Spinning Out of Control, Going Down

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, leave, liberal travel policies, good employee discount programs.

ConsEndless, disruptive layoffs and job redirections without time for healing; corporate restructuring at least every 3-6 months; management rules 100% by emotion and feeling and 0% by business cases and logic; pay has been slashed and benefits have been reduced; bonuses have been eliminated; no business discipline - shiny object and panic rule the method of business; investments are often eliminated in mid-progress due to changing priorities causing chaos, RIFS, and uncertainty. Vice Presidents and Directors get blamed and fired for failing to turn the tide, but crippling decision making comes from on high.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your resumes, because the cycle over the last five years says your days are limited here. Someone new will be brought in with a new vision (which will be the same vision with a new coat of paint) in about six months. Meanwhile, top talent will be lost to better opportunities and RIFS, your budget will be slashed, and you'll be called to the CEO's office to get yelled at so often that you will never accomplish your bold, identical to the old, goals.

Worked for Textron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Textron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Textron CEO Scott C. Donnelly. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Textron employees.