Textron

Updated July 25, 2014

3.3

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly

Pros
  • The pay is decent, and the work-life balance is very good (in 3 reviews)

• Good career growth if willing to move between companies, which could require relocation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets (in 3 reviews)

• Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - Accounting Intern  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Providence, RI

Pros

The company is one of the best I've worked for. A multi-billion dollar company where you see the CEO around the office is unheard of. The people here are great too.

Cons

As an intern they are a little more easy going. I am not sure how it is for "actual" employees.

n/a

High turnover, advancement opportunities are few and far between.

Current Employee - IA Engineer  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - IA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

Pros

Gain familiarity with industry tools. Education reimbursement, limited personal training budget.

Cons

General dissatisfaction with management, expected to work extended hours at no additional pay. For example, if on salary, 40 hours a week must be worked, hours 40-45 are completely unpaid. Additional hours could be charged if approved, but there is rarely any money to do so.
    Sadly, Textron has a recent focus on interns to boost revenue from the government by charging the same rate for inexperienced interns as full time employees.
    As of this writing, yearly promotions are 1 1\2 months late.

Your best talent has no real reason to stay. Fix the culture, advancement and benefits top stay competitive. There is a reason new hires aren't staying long.

Textron

Former Employee - Operations Leader  in  Lavonia, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Leader in Lavonia, GA

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunity and world wide organization. I would recommend this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fairly positive company in benefits and philosophy, but in reality they fail to value the individual employees.

Former Employee - Supply Chain  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The company culture is positive and includes benefits, and a focus on returning to the community via service projects. Many promotions are from within, but when it is time for budgetary reductions, the individual employees move to the top of the list of expendable items.

Cons

The personality of the CIO was a key factor in issues like the flexibility to work from home. It was unfortunate that in an area that has a goal of improving electronic communication and processes, the folks at the top expect to see "a butt in the chair" as a way of determining a productive employee.

Ok, not great, Old Boy Network Management Style

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Providence, RI

Pros

Huge, multi billion dollar company, advancement opportunities, nice location in RI and exciting and challenging work.

Cons

Management runs the place blind. No concept of weeding out inefficient, and dare I say moronic employees.

Stop with the old boy network mentality and focus on retaining great employees. In the long run, the morons you seem to like and often promote will ruin this company. Stop focusing on the end game and start focusing on the process. CEO and management all need to calm down and really look at who is responsible for the past success of the company and who has the brains, loyalty and work ethic going forward for future success. And reward them!

Textron helped me expand my expand my accounting and managerial experience.

Pros

Textron adheres to good company values and ethics. The executives encourage leadership and personal growth for each individual employee.

Cons

Expect little support when prioritizing projects and managing a team. The expectations executives have of management sometimes do not apply to them. The work gets so busy it take on a 'chaotic' tempo.

Treat others as you would want to be treated

Mixed review on Textron

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

The opportunity to work on really cool products. The size of Textron allows good mobility between business operating units.

Cons

Unstable work environment, decisions are all centralized at the top giving lower level employees little opportunity to feel empowered and grow beyond their jobs. With reduced defense budgets, Textron may continue to suffer.

Quit micromanaging. You hire great people who will not stay if they are constantly under someone's thumb.There are hard working good people at Textron who are limited by the environment

Great

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexible work opportunities with big company

Cons

Market dependent and subject to government layoffs

n/a

A very satisfying company to work for.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Tech II  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Tech II in Columbus, GA

Pros

I worked for Cessna Columbus for almost 14 years. I seen lots of changes throughout my years there. (Some good,Some not so good) Overall, I felt that the company made constant improvements to compete in the aerospace industry. We were payed well and the benefits were good. Management had its directives in place. Our plant closed in 2012 and moved to Mexico. Even though, I lost my job, I don't harbor any hard feelings toward the company. They gave me 14 good years. Now that I am employed with another company, The programs Cessna had in place, Far exceeds what I'm use to working with now. If, Cessna called me tomorrow and asked me to come back to work. I would be the first one at the door.

Cons

Benefits changed throughout the years, Going from great to good.

If you ever come across a former employee's resume from this plant, Hire them.

Good opportunies

Current Employee - Manager  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Manager in Providence, RI

Pros

I have been able to learn a lot. Compensation and benefits are competitive. There are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Company culture has changed quite a bit, not necessarily for the better.

Worked for Textron? Contribute to the Community!