Textron Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.4

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly

Pros
  • The pay is decent, and the work-life balance is very good (in 3 reviews)

• Good career growth if willing to move between companies, which could require relocation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets (in 3 reviews)

• Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A relatively un-diverse place that is full of friendly and approachable people.

Former Employee - Corporate FinanceLDP  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Corporate FinanceLDP in Providence, RI

I worked at Textron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I think one of the best parts of the workplace was the community of people. Almost everyone is very approachable, friendly, and very helpful. The office really takes good care of its people, and the staff really love their interns (if you're a regular, hardworking person who is mostly on task).

Textron is also a very respectable company that does a lot of good works into volunteering, making sure its controls structure is very meticulously done.

I also expected to be micromanaged, but I was allowed a great deal of freedom to do what I saw fit. My manager would occasionally check in to make sure I was faring okay, but apart from that, I felt incredibly empowered to do my own tasks, to do my own research and investigate my own projects.

Cons

I felt that one of the primary detriments to this environment was that it was far too plain and un-extraordinary a workplace. The place has no real dynamic atmosphere to motivate people, more for people who enjoy a quiet, tepid atmosphere. The cubicle walls are grey, the walls are kind of grey, and quite plain.

One other thing to note is the lack of diversity at the workplace. It felt extremely unnatural to have a sort of "white hegemonic" atmosphere, and I felt that the office was isolated from the actual demographic of the US. Granted, these were some of the kindest and most helpful people, but I would appreciate some more diversity in the workplace, so that incoming hires of other races can feel more at ease.

I don't recommend forced "diversity hires", but it almost feels that Textron Corporate Headquarters almost exclusively hires Caucasians at the detriment of other races.

Good place to work without expecting career growth

Current Employee - Project Lead  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Textron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance. Flexible work hours are an option.
    Employee training and employee education is given great support through tuition assistance.

Cons

-No salary growth.Stuck for eternity with your initial salary with not even inflation match increment which sucks.
    -No career growth. It's all white boys club in middle and upper management which is like a family run business sidelining diversity which greatly hinders good employees potential
    lack of diversity in mid and higher management.

Recognize your experienced staff and keep them motivated with career growth options. Company just can't run on old school boys and fresh grads. You need to strike balance for grey hair fall off.

Worst experience

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay with good benefits

Cons

Older workers are frequently discarded and workload has to be absorbed by others

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to develop your career

I have been working at Textron full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment, supportive leadership, great place to develop your career

Cons

Like most large companies, the pace of change is slow.

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - Accounting Intern  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Providence, RI

I have been working at Textron full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is one of the best I've worked for. A multi-billion dollar company where you see the CEO around the office is unheard of. The people here are great too.

Cons

As an intern they are a little more easy going. I am not sure how it is for "actual" employees.

n/a

High turnover, advancement opportunities are few and far between.

Current Employee - IA Engineer  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - IA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron for less than a year

Pros

Gain familiarity with industry tools. Education reimbursement, limited personal training budget.

Cons

General dissatisfaction with management, expected to work extended hours at no additional pay. For example, if on salary, 40 hours a week must be worked, hours 40-45 are completely unpaid. Additional hours could be charged if approved, but there is rarely any money to do so.
    Sadly, Textron has a recent focus on interns to boost revenue from the government by charging the same rate for inexperienced interns as full time employees.
    As of this writing, yearly promotions are 1 1\2 months late.

Your best talent has no real reason to stay. Fix the culture, advancement and benefits top stay competitive. There is a reason new hires aren't staying long.

Textron

Former Employee - Operations Leader  in  Lavonia, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Leader in Lavonia, GA

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunity and world wide organization. I would recommend this company.

Cons

Fairly positive company in benefits and philosophy, but in reality they fail to value the individual employees.

Former Employee - Supply Chain  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company culture is positive and includes benefits, and a focus on returning to the community via service projects. Many promotions are from within, but when it is time for budgetary reductions, the individual employees move to the top of the list of expendable items.

Cons

The personality of the CIO was a key factor in issues like the flexibility to work from home. It was unfortunate that in an area that has a goal of improving electronic communication and processes, the folks at the top expect to see "a butt in the chair" as a way of determining a productive employee.

Ok, not great, Old Boy Network Management Style

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at Textron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge, multi billion dollar company, advancement opportunities, nice location in RI and exciting and challenging work.

Cons

Management runs the place blind. No concept of weeding out inefficient, and dare I say moronic employees.

Stop with the old boy network mentality and focus on retaining great employees. In the long run, the morons you seem to like and often promote will ruin this company. Stop focusing on the end game and start focusing on the process. CEO and management all need to calm down and really look at who is responsible for the past success of the company and who has the brains, loyalty and work ethic going forward for future success. And reward them!

Mixed review on Textron

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The opportunity to work on really cool products. The size of Textron allows good mobility between business operating units.

Cons

Unstable work environment, decisions are all centralized at the top giving lower level employees little opportunity to feel empowered and grow beyond their jobs. With reduced defense budgets, Textron may continue to suffer.

Quit micromanaging. You hire great people who will not stay if they are constantly under someone's thumb.There are hard working good people at Textron who are limited by the environment

Worked for Textron? Contribute to the Community!