www.textron.com

Updated December 14, 2014
3.4

Textron Chairman, President and CEO Scott C. Donnelly
Scott C. Donnelly

Pros
  • Company offers reasonable work-life balance and time-off policies (in 5 reviews)

• Good company overall with some opportunity for improvement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units seem preoccupied with narrow markets (in 3 reviews)

• Textron is a very process oriented and slow moving company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting place

I worked at Textron

Pros

good work environment and great people

Cons

work wasn't very interesting and didn't have enough for me to do even though I was an intern

get it together

Textron-Austin

Current Employee - Senior RF Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior RF Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Textron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were fun to work with, and the compensation was excellent compared to other companies in the Austin area,.

Cons

The last few years they went into a continuing cycle of downsizing and layoffs, which caused a lot of talented employees to quit.

Sr. Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Textron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start engineering career. Highly collaborative environment.

Cons

Tough industry because of economic downturn

Good place to work without expecting career growth

Current Employee - Project Lead in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Textron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Flexible work hours are an option.
    Employee training and employee education is given great support through tuition assistance.

Cons

-No salary growth.Stuck for eternity with your initial salary with not even inflation match increment which sucks.
    -No career growth. It's all white boys club in middle and upper management which is like a family run business sidelining diversity which greatly hinders good employees potential
    lack of diversity in mid and higher management.

Recognize your experienced staff and keep them motivated with career growth options. Company just can't run on old school boys and fresh grads. You need to strike balance for grey hair fall off.

Great place to develop your career

I have been working at Textron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good working environment, supportive leadership, great place to develop your career

Cons

Like most large companies, the pace of change is slow.

A relatively un-diverse place that is full of friendly and approachable people.

Former Employee - Corporate FinanceLDP in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Corporate FinanceLDP in Providence, RI

I worked at Textron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I think one of the best parts of the workplace was the community of people. Almost everyone is very approachable, friendly, and very helpful. The office really takes good care of its people, and the staff really love their interns (if you're a regular, hardworking person who is mostly on task).

Textron is also a very respectable company that does a lot of good works into volunteering, making sure its controls structure is very meticulously done.

I also expected to be micromanaged, but I was allowed a great deal of freedom to do what I saw fit. My manager would occasionally check in to make sure I was faring okay, but apart from that, I felt incredibly empowered to do my own tasks, to do my own research and investigate my own projects.

Cons

I felt that one of the primary detriments to this environment was that it was far too plain and un-extraordinary a workplace. The place has no real dynamic atmosphere to motivate people, more for people who enjoy a quiet, tepid atmosphere. The cubicle walls are grey, the walls are kind of grey, and quite plain.

One other thing to note is the lack of diversity at the workplace. It felt extremely unnatural to have a sort of "white hegemonic" atmosphere, and I felt that the office was isolated from the actual demographic of the US. Granted, these were some of the kindest and most helpful people, but I would appreciate some more diversity in the workplace, so that incoming hires of other races can feel more at ease.

I don't recommend forced "diversity hires", but it almost feels that Textron Corporate Headquarters almost exclusively hires Caucasians at the detriment of other races.

Worst experience

I worked at Textron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay with good benefits

Cons

Older workers are frequently discarded and workload has to be absorbed by others

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Providence, RI

I have been working at Textron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is one of the best I've worked for. A multi-billion dollar company where you see the CEO around the office is unheard of. The people here are great too.

Cons

As an intern they are a little more easy going. I am not sure how it is for "actual" employees.

n/a

Former Employee - Operations Leader in Lavonia, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Leader in Lavonia, GA

I worked at Textron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunity and world wide organization. I would recommend this company.

Cons

Fairly positive company in benefits and philosophy, but in reality they fail to value the individual employees.

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Textron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture is positive and includes benefits, and a focus on returning to the community via service projects. Many promotions are from within, but when it is time for budgetary reductions, the individual employees move to the top of the list of expendable items.

Cons

The personality of the CIO was a key factor in issues like the flexibility to work from home. It was unfortunate that in an area that has a goal of improving electronic communication and processes, the folks at the top expect to see "a butt in the chair" as a way of determining a productive employee.