Textron Systems

Textron Systems President & CEO Ellen Lord
Ellen Lord

A Fantastic Learning Experience

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

You are able to work on a wide variety of projects, and support innovative technologies with good people. While Textron Systems is a defense contractor, it is going more commercial as well. There are many opportunities to advance within Textron Systems, as well as Textron as a whole (E-Z-GO, Jacobsen, Cessna, etc.)

Cons

To advance within the company, often times you have to be willing to relocate. All employees across the company have a very high workload, which often times leads to long hours and makes getting things done difficult.

Engage your young professionals or they will move on to another opportunity.

Out the door

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer  in  Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was with this company for 5+ years and found it to be a good working environment. At the time of my employment there were a bunch of PMs that were due to retire in the next 3 years and I had an eye on advancing my career in that area. Perk and time-off policies were industry standard for that time.

Cons

No mentorship. No forward vision and 500 of us got laid off on a Thursday. For three years we asked what the strategic vision was, why weren't writing proposals for new work as the major programs were winding down. Then we lost two programs in a month and most of the experience was shown the door.

The old management is gone, as they deserved to be, and the company re tooled and revectored. I hope they all spent a long time going over lessons learned.

What an awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Once you get in the door you can go anywhere in the world and work on almost anything - things that fly, things that float, things that drive and things in space. The only limit is yourself. I especially like Marine and Land Systems in New Orleans, LA and Slidell LA. The entire team is energized and has a can-do attitude. You can see your ideas get into real products and sent all over the world. I feel valued and engaged everyday. Lots of young people to colloborate with.

Cons

It takes a while to understand the whole Textron company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My time was fun but unsatisfying

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hours were fun, got opportunities to travel, and had a good pay for the experience.

Cons

Products were out-dated and not fun to work on.

Great people, tight deadlines

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with at TS. The product line is unique and interesting.

Cons

Tight deadlines causes major staff fatigue and departures. Also, there is not a focus on the growth of the product. Instead, there is focus on completion of a contract.

Focusing on the product and system will bring future growth for the company. TS hires good people. Find ways to keep them interested and around.

Better than a lot of places

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Cockeysville, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cockeysville, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of smart, talented people.
    Large organization with lots of resources and opportunities to move between divisions, business units, and even locations.
    Opportunities to work with government and private customers.

Cons

Some divisions are constantly behind or over-worked (but not all).
    Annual raises are between a little and a very very little. Best chance to improve raise salary is to advance in position.
    Company is very concentrated on performing to each individual contract, so progress for the short term is given priority over progress in the long term.

Concentrate more on the long term company/project goals over individual deliveries.
    Now that the branding has been changed, unify it over the whole company. Expand the style guide over even more of the company including reports going to customers, design documents, and even the look of our products.

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern  in  Slidell, LA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Slidell, LA

I have been working at Textron Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-9/80 schedule at marine and land systems means every other Friday off
    -very friendly employees
    -engaging projects
    -products are very cool to work on as an engineer
    -lots of collaboration within the office
    -HR office on top of game for interns

Cons

-short lunch break (30min)
    -rather ugly building in a small town with not much to do (slidell, LA)
    -engineering is located in the basement so no windows (used to be old NASA bunker)
    -sometimes interns are giving menial and repetitive tasks that do not foster development

-focus on keeping interns engaged and learning
    -give interns a big challenging project in the beginning and less smaller day to day projects
    -more fun lunch and learns with upper management keep the interns excited to work for the company and give them the ability to ask questions

Fantastic Company to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are great, open and welcoming. Management is flexible when it comes to needing to be out of the office. Incredible products. Senior Management has turned over almost completely over the last two years since the current CEO took over and the overall culture has changed for the better because of it.

Cons

Defense Industry as a whole is facing issues but the company has weathered them just as well as any competitor has.

Great place to work for

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Goleta, CA

I worked at Textron Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast pace, dynamic R&D environment, leading edge technology

Cons

Fast time to market, overly optimistic schedules

I'm happy at Textron Systems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had been working at another global company while attending graduate school and decided to take a career risk by leaving the comfort of my previous role and coming to Textron Systems..... and I haven't looked back! I enjoy coming to work with the people in my department and I enjoy the work I'm doing. I can see how it connects to the larger company goals, which is important to me. I've been in my role one year and as an early-career hire I think this is a great company to be working for.

If you're willing to relocate, there are countless opportunities. If you're not, the company is so large there are often still many opportunities in your home location. Many positions are filled from the inside so there is also a lot open at the entry level as people move up. Textron Systems seems to have the philosophy that "you own your own career" but they will certainly help you reach your goals if you perform well and are willing to learn and grow. I've seen many people have success in this way.

Some unique benefits are the wellness program, tuition assistance, adoption assistance and the Textron Marketplace which has discounts.

Cons

Textron Systems is a large company with many product lines. It can be difficult at first to learn and understand the business, but that comes with time.

Worked for Textron Systems? Contribute to the Community!