Textron Systems

Updated November 23, 2014
3.6

Textron Systems President & CEO Ellen Lord
Ellen Lord

Extremely focused and well communicated goals which are achieved by a strong sense of Teamwork from the top down.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Specialist in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Specialist in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to learn both in order to achieve company goals by employing strong Teamwork amongst employees in all Departments. Management and subordinates are encouraged to speak openly and freely within their Department and point out possible methods of improving the Department's work in a timely and efficient manner. All questions pertaining to the individuals tasks are welcomed and treated seriously and with respect. This has created a Bond and Level of Trust within the company amongst the Employees and Senior Management that in my experience is rarely seen at most Companies. Hard work is rewarded not only with Salary increases but Growth opportunities that every Employee is encouraged to strive for.

Cons

Untimely Changes/Addendums to existing contracts that negatively effect the previously established End Date of particular projects and Work Packages with sometimes costly penalities.

Assign/Create Company Liasons to work and monitor closely specific parts of existing Contracts with both the In-House Federal Group and specific Departments assigned to complete their portion of existing Contracts in a timely and efficient manner thus ensuring zero Cost Overruns and meeting Due Dates for completion of work.

Company has been struggling since 2010

I have been working at Textron Systems

Pros

Above average benefit, flexible working hours and good work/life balance.

Cons

Heavy top, no communication between top management and foot soldiers. Overall morale dropped fast.

Look beyond 5 yrs from now.

Great people; OK management

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow and move around the organization and their many operating units. Good benefits.

Cons

Bureaucratic management that allows little feedback from the bottom. Culture is untrusting and toxic.

Great place to work, endless growth opportunities

Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly values promoting from within and giving stretch opportunities to current employees. Once you get in the door you never want to leave

Cons

Very large company and somewhat of a learning curve learning about all the different businesses

Streamline communication and have more company wide events to meet people from other business units

Wonderful Internship Experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great large company benefits in a small company environment. A lot of R&D is done in the group I worked in so ideas were always encouraged. Very hands on experience so I wasn't sitting behind a desk all day.

Cons

Not all of upper management knows what work is required to get things done so sometimes requests that come down are unreasonable or over ambitious for the time they want it in.

Keep more tabs on the amount of work that goes into assignments to have a better grasp on how much time it'll take to do what is being asked.

What a great concept - left to the inept

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Textron Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with the new Ship to Shore Connector, cool project....being run a ground by poor Management = such a shame, could be an awesome rig were it not left to incompetence....and of course bean counters, who can't see past the bureaucracy of pedigree ( a degree is better than dyed in the wool experience) so sad for Textron

Cons

I am a Mechanical designer (their system of choice Solidworks) the models I dealt with were by far the worst I have had to work with in my career (poor modeling techniques)....so now I understand why they were sooooo excited when they found out that I DID understand Solidworks - the employees do try, the ones they keep are the young fresh people with brand new B.S.M.E.'s and ZERO experience = which equals FAILURE

Get off the golf course out into the fray =dump the good old boys, seek out talent, reward talent and remember - a politician has NEVER designed anything which has ay redeemable value - NEVER

Out the door

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was with this company for 5+ years and found it to be a good working environment. At the time of my employment there were a bunch of PMs that were due to retire in the next 3 years and I had an eye on advancing my career in that area. Perk and time-off policies were industry standard for that time.

Cons

No mentorship. No forward vision and 500 of us got laid off on a Thursday. For three years we asked what the strategic vision was, why weren't writing proposals for new work as the major programs were winding down. Then we lost two programs in a month and most of the experience was shown the door.

The old management is gone, as they deserved to be, and the company re tooled and revectored. I hope they all spent a long time going over lessons learned.

A Fantastic Learning Experience

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

You are able to work on a wide variety of projects, and support innovative technologies with good people. While Textron Systems is a defense contractor, it is going more commercial as well. There are many opportunities to advance within Textron Systems, as well as Textron as a whole (E-Z-GO, Jacobsen, Cessna, etc.)

Cons

To advance within the company, often times you have to be willing to relocate. All employees across the company have a very high workload, which often times leads to long hours and makes getting things done difficult.

Engage your young professionals or they will move on to another opportunity.

What an awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Once you get in the door you can go anywhere in the world and work on almost anything - things that fly, things that float, things that drive and things in space. The only limit is yourself. I especially like Marine and Land Systems in New Orleans, LA and Slidell LA. The entire team is energized and has a can-do attitude. You can see your ideas get into real products and sent all over the world. I feel valued and engaged everyday. Lots of young people to colloborate with.

Cons

It takes a while to understand the whole Textron company.

My time was fun but unsatisfying

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hours were fun, got opportunities to travel, and had a good pay for the experience.

Cons

Products were out-dated and not fun to work on.