Textron Systems

www.textronsystems.com
Employer Engaged

Company has been struggling since 2010

I have been working at Textron Systems

Pros

Above average benefit, flexible working hours and good work/life balance.

Cons

Heavy top, no communication between top management and foot soldiers. Overall morale dropped fast.

Look beyond 5 yrs from now.

Great people; OK management

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow and move around the organization and their many operating units. Good benefits.

Cons

Bureaucratic management that allows little feedback from the bottom. Culture is untrusting and toxic.

Great place to work, endless growth opportunities

Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Highly values promoting from within and giving stretch opportunities to current employees. Once you get in the door you never want to leave

Cons

Very large company and somewhat of a learning curve learning about all the different businesses

Streamline communication and have more company wide events to meet people from other business units

Wonderful Internship Experience

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great large company benefits in a small company environment. A lot of R&D is done in the group I worked in so ideas were always encouraged. Very hands on experience so I wasn't sitting behind a desk all day.

Cons

Not all of upper management knows what work is required to get things done so sometimes requests that come down are unreasonable or over ambitious for the time they want it in.

Keep more tabs on the amount of work that goes into assignments to have a better grasp on how much time it'll take to do what is being asked.

What a great concept - left to the inept

Former Contractor - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Contractor - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Textron Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the new Ship to Shore Connector, cool project....being run a ground by poor Management = such a shame, could be an awesome rig were it not left to incompetence....and of course bean counters, who can't see past the bureaucracy of pedigree ( a degree is better than dyed in the wool experience) so sad for Textron

Cons

I am a Mechanical designer (their system of choice Solidworks) the models I dealt with were by far the worst I have had to work with in my career (poor modeling techniques)....so now I understand why they were sooooo excited when they found out that I DID understand Solidworks - the employees do try, the ones they keep are the young fresh people with brand new B.S.M.E.'s and ZERO experience = which equals FAILURE

Get off the golf course out into the fray =dump the good old boys, seek out talent, reward talent and remember - a politician has NEVER designed anything which has ay redeemable value - NEVER

Impressed with the work ethic displayed from all employees -- operations, engineers and functional staff!

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Austin, TX

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overwatch is a relatively small operating unit within Textron Systems. You will have the opportunity to make a difference immediately.

Cons

Only “one deep” is several roles due to size. Several roles perform multiple functions or rely on support from other Textron Systems operating units.

Embrace an open door policy. Solicit employee feedback in multiple methods (one-on-one discussions, skip-level lunches, etc.). Address actions promptly.

Out the door

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was with this company for 5+ years and found it to be a good working environment. At the time of my employment there were a bunch of PMs that were due to retire in the next 3 years and I had an eye on advancing my career in that area. Perk and time-off policies were industry standard for that time.

Cons

No mentorship. No forward vision and 500 of us got laid off on a Thursday. For three years we asked what the strategic vision was, why weren't writing proposals for new work as the major programs were winding down. Then we lost two programs in a month and most of the experience was shown the door.

The old management is gone, as they deserved to be, and the company re tooled and revectored. I hope they all spent a long time going over lessons learned.

War Profiteers of open source code and software

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The corporate headquarters in Austin, TX is a great location and the facility itself is very nice and conducive to collaboration and developers working long hours.

Cons

The company suffers from bloated middle management and lack of business ethic. Employees supporting federal contracts must maintain a foot out the door and prepare for inevitable layoff.

Decent empoloyment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, decent salary, nice facilities

Cons

Challenged by current sequestration climate

A Fantastic Learning Experience

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time

Pros

You are able to work on a wide variety of projects, and support innovative technologies with good people. While Textron Systems is a defense contractor, it is going more commercial as well. There are many opportunities to advance within Textron Systems, as well as Textron as a whole (E-Z-GO, Jacobsen, Cessna, etc.)

Cons

To advance within the company, often times you have to be willing to relocate. All employees across the company have a very high workload, which often times leads to long hours and makes getting things done difficult.

Engage your young professionals or they will move on to another opportunity.