Textron Systems Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
99 reviews filtered by

1. Textron, formally known as AAI Corporation gave me a fabulous career.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

During my time AAI Corporation was a great place to do research and development for new products that were always cutting edge for hardware products. The office culture was casual professional, but the tasks were seriously attended. An individual could work as much as desired to complete the assigned tasks. The professional compensation was on target with industry.

Cons

The technology curve is the largest obstacle to program schedules. The biggest issue has been the demand of upper management to perform to unrealistic profit percentages. Management also places unnecessary pressure on staff to pull schedules in to a quarter or year end to make profit where other programs have slid. This places undue pressure on full teams during test and integration procedures. Management appears not to have a good understanding of the full engineering and test requirements of a system prior to customer acceptance. This is a current cultural issue which can have adverse affects on the core business.

Better understanding of the product development process. Work closer with engineering and ISC to understand the real effort to perform the development, manufacturing/purchasing and support processes such as QA, ILS and CM. Build and earn trust with full staff. Then they will trust management and work together successfully.

2. Big push to revitalize an admittedly old company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    LDP Program puts you ahead of other "entry-level" jobs
    The company is very adamant about building its next generation of leaders, so it's pouring money into the LDP program, and other programs as well.

Cons

Locations aren't the best. The company basically has to be in the middle of nowhere in order to house its warehouses, engineering buildings, etc...so all locations regardless of what your position is--end up being there as well. However, headquarters are in Providence, RI.

Keep showing new employees that you care about their development.

3. Intelligent People Under a Harsh Deadline

Former Employee - Program Analyst
    Former Employee - Program Analyst

I worked at Textron Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The contract with the customer laid out an aggressive schedule with a limited, fixed-price budget that put a strain on negotiations with both the customer and subcontractors. The people staffing the project were highly experienced in developing the technology needed and brought a tremendous insight into how to execute the project. I learned a great deal about this aspect of customer operations and technology.

Cons

The limited budget and schedule imposed harsh restrictions on how to communicate with subcontractors and with the customer to the point of withholding useful (but not critical or illegal) information about tasks and resources. There was no career advancement path at all.

Realign the project management approach to the current expectations of the customer and step away from the restrictions imposed in the proposal that are not truly required.

5. Extremely focused and well communicated goals which are achieved by a strong sense of Teamwork from the top down.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Specialist in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Specialist in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to learn both in order to achieve company goals by employing strong Teamwork amongst employees in all Departments. Management and subordinates are encouraged to speak openly and freely within their Department and point out possible methods of improving the Department's work in a timely and efficient manner. All questions pertaining to the individuals tasks are welcomed and treated seriously and with respect. This has created a Bond and Level of Trust within the company amongst the Employees and Senior Management that in my experience is rarely seen at most Companies. Hard work is rewarded not only with Salary increases but Growth opportunities that every Employee is encouraged to strive for.

Cons

Untimely Changes/Addendums to existing contracts that negatively effect the previously established End Date of particular projects and Work Packages with sometimes costly penalities.

Assign/Create Company Liasons to work and monitor closely specific parts of existing Contracts with both the In-House Federal Group and specific Departments assigned to complete their portion of existing Contracts in a timely and efficient manner thus ensuring zero Cost Overruns and meeting Due Dates for completion of work.

6. Company has been struggling since 2010

I have been working at Textron Systems

Pros

Above average benefit, flexible working hours and good work/life balance.

Cons

Heavy top, no communication between top management and foot soldiers. Overall morale dropped fast.

Look beyond 5 yrs from now.

7. Great place to work, endless growth opportunities

Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Highly values promoting from within and giving stretch opportunities to current employees. Once you get in the door you never want to leave

Cons

Very large company and somewhat of a learning curve learning about all the different businesses

Streamline communication and have more company wide events to meet people from other business units

8. Great people; OK management

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow and move around the organization and their many operating units. Good benefits.

Cons

Bureaucratic management that allows little feedback from the bottom. Culture is untrusting and toxic.

9. What a great concept - left to the inept

Former Contractor - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Contractor - Senior Mechanical Designer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Textron Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the new Ship to Shore Connector, cool project....being run a ground by poor Management = such a shame, could be an awesome rig were it not left to incompetence....and of course bean counters, who can't see past the bureaucracy of pedigree ( a degree is better than dyed in the wool experience) so sad for Textron

Cons

I am a Mechanical designer (their system of choice Solidworks) the models I dealt with were by far the worst I have had to work with in my career (poor modeling techniques)....so now I understand why they were sooooo excited when they found out that I DID understand Solidworks - the employees do try, the ones they keep are the young fresh people with brand new B.S.M.E.'s and ZERO experience = which equals FAILURE

Get off the golf course out into the fray =dump the good old boys, seek out talent, reward talent and remember - a politician has NEVER designed anything which has ay redeemable value - NEVER

10. Wonderful Internship Experience

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great large company benefits in a small company environment. A lot of R&D is done in the group I worked in so ideas were always encouraged. Very hands on experience so I wasn't sitting behind a desk all day.

Cons

Not all of upper management knows what work is required to get things done so sometimes requests that come down are unreasonable or over ambitious for the time they want it in.

Keep more tabs on the amount of work that goes into assignments to have a better grasp on how much time it'll take to do what is being asked.

11. Out the door

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Textron Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was with this company for 5+ years and found it to be a good working environment. At the time of my employment there were a bunch of PMs that were due to retire in the next 3 years and I had an eye on advancing my career in that area. Perk and time-off policies were industry standard for that time.

Cons

No mentorship. No forward vision and 500 of us got laid off on a Thursday. For three years we asked what the strategic vision was, why weren't writing proposals for new work as the major programs were winding down. Then we lost two programs in a month and most of the experience was shown the door.

The old management is gone, as they deserved to be, and the company re tooled and revectored. I hope they all spent a long time going over lessons learned.