Textura Corporation

Patrick J. Allin

Great Environment (Accounting)

Former Employee - Intern - Accounting in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Intern - Accounting in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Textura Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management in accounting section was great. Amazing work-life balance. Free Friday Lunches. Office is a great environment and place to be. Real learning opportunities. Employees and managers (accounting) all take immense time to teach you anything and everything they can about the systems, company and even other subjects (finance, etc). Compensation was good.

Cons

Heard different areas of the company weren't as great
    No finance department
    Lost important employees that I believe fore essential for company growth.

Make sure you're constantly looking for new ways to revive the business and focus on core employees. Look into various business strategies, ways to differentiate or be a cost leader, and how to effectively grow the business.

Fast growing company, now time to be mature

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Textura Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will work with many brilliant and nice people. Generous on starting salary

Cons

Work flow and step is not standard with no clear written requirement, but organization is already quite bureaucratic

Need to remove heavy dependency on not proven technology which not many company use and has a lot friction with main stream technology.
    Remove unnecessary complexity on code which cause extremely expensive to maintain
    Upgrade python version before too late, it keep increasing cost of maintaining code than moving code line with new version.
    Need requirement specialist to gather and analysis requirements ( not only business requirement, but also performance, security ... ) and provide written format requirement document can be used as reference.

Perfect work-life balance.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Textura Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Textura really takes care of their employees in every aspect. Hard work is always acknowledged. Free catered lunch on Fridays. Awesome company events. There are a lot of growth opportunities.

Cons

Because of growth, the company does not have a set structure yet. Always developing something new.

Horrible, Run away

Former Employee - Systems in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Systems in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Textura Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some decent people but watch your back (very clique)
    Free lunch is nice
    Pay is decent but there is better out there

Cons

Poor management, nepotism, huge undressed technical debt, poor finance tracking

CPM (core product) is overly complicated and is basically a method to allow General Contractors to confuse subcontractors and delay payment - opposite of the the stated goal

NOTE: Team was told there were too many negative reviews and candidates were running away so positive post were mandated by "management"

I'd say take your IPO money and run, but that has tanked thanks to fraud and misrepresentation. Search Textura News October 2014

Leaderless, risk averse organization.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Textura Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Free lunch on Fridays.
    - Great software development team with great team camaraderie. Every is nice and great to work with.
    - Salary and benefits are good.
    - Great work from home policy.
    - Bulls/Blackhawk games.

Cons

CPM is the worse technical debt that I've seen in my career. It's written in a archaic python version with outdated software libraries, many of which are no longer supported or used by the industry. A very large effort is spent maintaining the system, which is poorly written, architected, and designed. It's not uncommon to see applications or jobs fail or some type of outage due to bad implementation practices. Rather than addressing these issues, management has turned a blind eye to development's concerns and continues to onboard more customers on a platform that's destined for failure. All of this combined is taxing on the development and development operation staff.

CPM needs to be rewritten and re-architected. Thoughtworks or Redpoint should be brought into overall the application and it's architecture. B and C level management needs to be removed and held accountable for the state of the application and poor decision making. Executive management should get real managers that understand know what it means to run a SAAS rather than hiring former consultant who have no clue how to run software engineering teams. Textura desperately needs a PMO office to select it's priorities rather than fruitless, silly pursuits that don't result in more revenue.

Growth-oriented, fast-paced tech company, in a market that will continue to expand

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Textura Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is huge here. It may sound cliche, but we work hard to play hard. We have lofty goals, but we work reasonable hours and still hit them. We're competitive, we like to have a good time, and most of us enjoy being around each other. The company is as flexible with you as you'll be with it. Put in the extra work when you need to, or when you're under the gun, and of course you'll have some freedom to take care of your own personal needs as necessary.

Opportunities for growth
    Casual work environment
    Positive culture

You could define our culture as being a near polar-opposite to the large corporate environment.

Cons

The quarter-over-quarter individual goals are steep, but we're still in growth mode so they are attainable. It's tough, inside sales, so there can be some turnover from time to time. Nothing crazy though, and most of the turnover since I've been here has been from non-performing individuals that were given fair chances to succeed.

Occasionally, there may be a "what have you done for me lately" feel, but it is sales, and we are a public company, so that comes with the territory.

There has been a shift in the past 6 months to engage goal-setting, personal/professional development, and it seems to be a good thing. Keep moving in that direction.

It's okay

I worked at Textura Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Good salary
    * Good developers
    * Good sales staff
    * Great office environment

Cons

* Management
    Product management here is a nightmare. Tons of monkey patching of arcane frameworks that are well outdated. Staff is very protective of their positions because they don't know if a layoff is coming or who's next.

* Overall business model
    "Tech Support" is really a back door for the business users to get what they want out of the system. Some of the things discussed and done in production systems could turn into a auditing nightmare. As a developer, more time is spent keeping the system afloat and performing hot fixes to databases then implementing new features and being creative with ideas.

*No clear cut career path

I mean not to be offensive, but consider getting someone in a C rank who has experience running a SaaS company.

Worst professional experience I've ever had

I worked at Textura Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Over the years, Textura has accumulated some great people. They pay well.

Cons

CPM is the worst collection of technical debt that I've ever witnessed in far too many years of working with software. They need to rebuild the solution from scratch, or better yet determine whether they should be doing what they do with a custom software solution to begin with. Several executives (and upper management) that were responsible for growing this company now hang out trying to protect their legacy of decision making from being exposed as the reckless mess it is/was. Plenty of immature bullying that often comes off as cartoonish straight from the most senior executive. Run. This place is unfixable.

An incredible and rewarding place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Textura Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy selling the Submittal Exchange platform. It is easy to use, solves a real-world problem for the construction industry, and customer retention is very high. This certainly makes the job easier.

Cons

I think the office culture is great...fast-paced and lively. You have to be willing to reach out to people, ask questions and seek help and advice. There is really an attitude of helpfulness balanced by "if you need help, you better speak up and ask."

I love my manager and have a great working relationship with him. He's easy to approach, talk with, and always willing to help me out.

Great experience for fast-paced pursuing personalities

Former Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Consultant in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Textura Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'd say the best part of this company is the ability to work with highly motivated, goal-oriented professionals. There are a few principal objectives which are shared across the organization and it is exciting to see such a culture execute on those principals.

Cons

Unless you live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, the location creates some challenges if you enjoy driving to work. Trains are available as commute options, but then you become a slave to the schedule...

Consider creating a project management office as a function to control project priorities, sequencing, & in some cases consolidation

Textura Corporation Photos