Thales

Thales Reviews in Canada

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Thales Chairman and CEO Jean-Bernard Lévy

Jean-Bernard Lévy

Pros
  • Work life balance, Flexi-time, Friendly colleagues(in 9 reviews)

• Training and support, good benefits package, fast-paced dependent on department(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • bonus seeking senior management(in 6 reviews)

• poor communication throughout the cross-functional team, senior management(in 3 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Quality Assurance

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits. Paid overtime. Probably the same "working" benefits as any other large size corporation.

ConsFalse promises from management. Hard work is only appreciated behind closed doors through "words" NOT through bonuses or salary increases. A LOT of dead wood in the company! False rumours originating from management!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider protecting your investment (i.e. the many $$ spent on training and developing people) by retaining employees, rather than just replacing them.

Takes advantage of newcomers, WASP old boys' club, too clumsy to make a smart move, too much politics, bureaucracy

Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLooks decent, nice building, walking trail for lunchbreak, free parking, christmas lunch,etc.

ConsVery old and clumsy software with lots of patches, work-life balance terrible, silos of interest groups cutting other groups' branches, beware of the gossipping old boys (literally!), bonus seeking senior management. Procurement, Quality, T&V, Safety, HR and Customer Care are good. Systems software, Hardware, projects and bids are headaches (middle mgmt is usually good, most directors and above is terrible in general).. Swinging power struggles and missed inner balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a listen to surveys, read between the lines and change terrible performing directors every two years. Measure their personalities prior to promoting / employing them.
    Do not be scared of other units around the world. Do not let finance rule over project management. Get rid of the old boys! Support younger and brighter personnel.

Bland

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable, flexible, industry leading. Products that actually ship and have meaningful impact. Long-term vision.

ConsMismanaged at the middle level. Moral is up and down. Higher-ups do not always take advice. Compensation is below average for this region.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

step stone company

Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosgood average engineering salary with yearly bonus

Constoo much to list. bonus mentioned in the Pros would be "forgotten" if the job was lost or new was found at the year end, tho you was working the whole year. hard to get training even if it's required to benefit the company. Employees are not assuming responsibilities, information hard to chase, some mid level mangers are not competent in what they are doing. a lot of office politics / games. company loosing bids due to outdated technologies. laid offs hide by termination - just to do not report to EI. unfriendly environment.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going!

Employment satisfaction is waning.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsUnderstanding of family commitments. The workplace definitely has a focus on focusing on valuing time with your family.
    Stability. Many employees have been there for long time.
    Still giving out overtime payouts.
    Interesting projects. There are some interesting projects ( but look at cons).
    Senior management are good. I found them to be very intelligent and knowledgeable. They also have good focus and are definitely leaders.

ConsBenefits. Benefits were reduced without the option to opt into a a plan that was more expensive but with the same coverage.
    Boring projects. While there are interesting projects, there are also very boring projects that makes work feel like a sweat shop.
    Project management. I've notice that the company is big on piling tons of work on people. Some people get the short end of the stick and just become bogged down. This is good and bad but I've noticed that the focus is to look busy rather than be productive. So while engineers are definitely busy, I don't know if we are producing quality products.
    Middle management. Most are not leaders and seem not to have knowledge on project management. Seems everyone passes the buck to avoid getting in trouble.
    Lack of socialization. People here do not openly socialize. Not many team building exercises, events, or even lunches. People keep their heads down.
    Definition of "Agile" is code for paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a course in project management. Every project I have been on follows every horrible mistake outlined in the "Mythical Man Month". Be open to new ideas and take risks. I have not seen any risk takers during my time with the company. With this mentality, you will never find the intrapreneur you are looking for. Middle managers require more grooming to become effective leaders.

Bad Management, Lots of Work, Less Pay

Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosit has a free gym, there is free coffee, its in the middle of the city, overall commute is ok

Constoo much work
    management has no idea what they are doing
    pay structure is not good
    many many layoffs
    overall i do not recommend

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff
    put your employees first
    understand the system
    don't be scared of development and growth

stressed out all the time

Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNew location was good because it was in the middle of town and commute was not bad.
    Got movie tickets at a cheaper price.

ConsHours are long, the departments are always pointing fingers.
    A lot of people are always angry.
    Project timelines are a joke.
    Very old school mentality.
    Please do not work here unless you are really desperate.
    I would ask around, most people i think that have left the company or have been laid off have the same impression.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that like to work there. Dont waste time with people that just want a paycheque. Find people that are interested.

Safety engineering Specialist - Thales Canada Inc

Safety Specialist (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsMulticultural, flexible work time. work from home

ConsPolitics, information hidden to learn

Advice to Senior Managementmore career development for employees

It is a normal, average company to work in.

Senior Software Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsEmployees are regarded as an important human resource given good respect and treatment.
    Work is progressed through a well defined systematic structure.

ConsThere is limitations on resources due to tight budget. Sometimes there is a lack of equipments, platforms, or test beds which may hinder the quality and speed of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership shall see the strengths and weaknesses of each individual employee to assign and allocate tasks and positions accordingly so each one works at their optimal contributions.

If you get a job offer here, treat it as "just for temporary survival"

Software Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA leading french company in defense, security, aerospace, transportation, ticketing etc. Thales has a very good global presence.

The local location has a rail signalling product, to my knowledge, is the best in the world.

ConsCannot make a generic statement here as I am not exposed to all the Divisions of thales group. Just based on the local division, I've seen lower management not appreciate and recognize good and hard work performed by some true dedicated employees year after year after year.

Lots of politics & favoritism in the play; kills the morale of honest hard workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure lower management appreciates and recognizes good and hard work performed by some true dedicated employees.

Make sure no one moves up just because they know how to sweet talk their supervisors or due to favoritism, but having no knowledge of the work they have to perform. We have seen just too too many examples.

This will only continue to cause Brain Drain or unsatisfied-frustrated-employees who become unmotivated to keep doing a good job.

It's happening and wake up and smell the coffee.

Worked for Thales? Contribute to the Community!