Thales

Updated September 30, 2014
3.4

Thales Chairman and CEO Jean-Bernard Lévy
Jean-Bernard Lévy

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance, good senior management, daily bus service from MRT to workplace (in 10 reviews)

• Training and support, good benefits package, fast-paced dependent on department (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • bonus seeking senior management (in 6 reviews)

• There are some lack of communication between the business units/companies (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic learning experience with great people

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Thales as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to intern at Thales, and had an amazing experience. Everyone I worked with was cognizant of the fact that I was here to learn, and the work I was given focused on that. I was given a wide variety of tasks that gave me hands on experience in the lab as well as lots of time on CAD programs.

The hours were great and flexible, and the workload was never too much. My managers were also very good about vacation time and sick days.

I learned a ton and would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

I didn't have many concerns or problems while working at Thales. It took a long time to get resources that were required to move forward in a project, and the IT request had to be escalated fairly high up the command chain in order to prioritize it. Other than that everything was great.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Junior Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Junior Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Thales as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Large company, very good location, work-life balance was good, nice people. I was told they pay well, but I'm not sure as I was just an intern there

Cons

It seems they lack communication and cooperation across different departments. Efficiency is relatively low and their technology is not the most frontier one.

Quality Assurance

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Paid overtime. Probably the same "working" benefits as any other large size corporation.

Cons

False promises from management. Hard work is only appreciated behind closed doors through "words" NOT through bonuses or salary increases. A LOT of dead wood in the company! False rumours originating from management!

Consider protecting your investment (i.e. the many $$ spent on training and developing people) by retaining employees, rather than just replacing them.

Takes advantage of newcomers, WASP old boys' club, too clumsy to make a smart move, too much politics, bureaucracy

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks decent, nice building, walking trail for lunchbreak, free parking, christmas lunch,etc.

Cons

Very old and clumsy software with lots of patches, work-life balance terrible, silos of interest groups cutting other groups' branches, beware of the gossipping old boys (literally!), bonus seeking senior management. Procurement, Quality, T&V, Safety, HR and Customer Care are good. Systems software, Hardware, projects and bids are headaches (middle mgmt is usually good, most directors and above is terrible in general).. Swinging power struggles and missed inner balance.

Take a listen to surveys, read between the lines and change terrible performing directors every two years. Measure their personalities prior to promoting / employing them.
    Do not be scared of other units around the world. Do not let finance rule over project management. Get rid of the old boys! Support younger and brighter personnel.

Bland

I worked at Thales

Pros

Stable, flexible, industry leading. Products that actually ship and have meaningful impact. Long-term vision.

Cons

Mismanaged at the middle level. Moral is up and down. Higher-ups do not always take advice. Compensation is below average for this region.

Clean house.

step stone company

I worked at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good average engineering salary with yearly bonus

Cons

too much to list. bonus mentioned in the Pros would be "forgotten" if the job was lost or new was found at the year end, tho you was working the whole year. hard to get training even if it's required to benefit the company. Employees are not assuming responsibilities, information hard to chase, some mid level mangers are not competent in what they are doing. a lot of office politics / games. company loosing bids due to outdated technologies. laid offs hide by termination - just to do not report to EI. unfriendly environment.

keep going!

Employment satisfaction is waning.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Thales full-time

Pros

Understanding of family commitments. The workplace definitely has a focus on focusing on valuing time with your family.
    Stability. Many employees have been there for long time.
    Still giving out overtime payouts.
    Interesting projects. There are some interesting projects ( but look at cons).
    Senior management are good. I found them to be very intelligent and knowledgeable. They also have good focus and are definitely leaders.

Cons

Benefits. Benefits were reduced without the option to opt into a a plan that was more expensive but with the same coverage.
    Boring projects. While there are interesting projects, there are also very boring projects that makes work feel like a sweat shop.
    Project management. I've notice that the company is big on piling tons of work on people. Some people get the short end of the stick and just become bogged down. This is good and bad but I've noticed that the focus is to look busy rather than be productive. So while engineers are definitely busy, I don't know if we are producing quality products.
    Middle management. Most are not leaders and seem not to have knowledge on project management. Seems everyone passes the buck to avoid getting in trouble.
    Lack of socialization. People here do not openly socialize. Not many team building exercises, events, or even lunches. People keep their heads down.
    Definition of "Agile" is code for paperwork.

Take a course in project management. Every project I have been on follows every horrible mistake outlined in the "Mythical Man Month". Be open to new ideas and take risks. I have not seen any risk takers during my time with the company. With this mentality, you will never find the intrapreneur you are looking for. Middle managers require more grooming to become effective leaders.

Bad Management, Lots of Work, Less Pay

I worked at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it has a free gym, there is free coffee, its in the middle of the city, overall commute is ok

Cons

too much work
    management has no idea what they are doing
    pay structure is not good
    many many layoffs
    overall i do not recommend

listen to your staff
    put your employees first
    understand the system
    don't be scared of development and growth

stressed out all the time

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Thales full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New location was good because it was in the middle of town and commute was not bad.
    Got movie tickets at a cheaper price.

Cons

Hours are long, the departments are always pointing fingers.
    A lot of people are always angry.
    Project timelines are a joke.
    Very old school mentality.
    Please do not work here unless you are really desperate.
    I would ask around, most people i think that have left the company or have been laid off have the same impression.

Hire people that like to work there. Dont waste time with people that just want a paycheque. Find people that are interested.

Safety engineering Specialist - Thales Canada Inc

Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Thales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Multicultural, flexible work time. work from home

Cons

Politics, information hidden to learn

more career development for employees

Thales Photos

Thales Building, Manor Royal (Photo thanks to Wikipedia user Matt Davis, Some Rights Reserved)
Thales/Nurdin & Peacock/Napier/British Salmson? (Photo thanks to Wikipedia user sarflondondunc, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo