Thales

Thales Reviews in France

Updated May 29, 2014

Thales Chairman and CEO Jean-Bernard Lévy

Jean-Bernard Lévy

Pros
  • Work life balance, Flexi-time, Friendly colleagues(in 9 reviews)

• Training and support, good benefits package, fast-paced dependent on department(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • bonus seeking senior management(in 6 reviews)

• poor communication throughout the cross-functional team, senior management(in 3 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits

Intern (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsAlthough is a huge company, it still makes you feel like a human being. They give lots of benefits for the employees, and you also get to work with state of the art technology

ConsIt's so massive, that the bureaucracy is huge. As an example, it takes ages before you can install some software in your computer because lots of people have to approve it

OK, for an IT consulting firm

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Paris (France)

Pros- Good starting salary for an IT consulting firm
    - Better contract than most other French consulting firms ("Métallurgie" whereas most others use "Syntec")
    - Good work/life balance. Barring temporary crises, most employees do 37-40 hours a week
    - Some good opportunities to work on interesting, large-scale projects (if you're lucky)

Cons- Low salary rises
    - Non-innovative tech culture
    - It's still an IT consulting firm. Consultants are basically meat.
    - Constant management changes, yearly evaluations done by a guy/gal you've never seen before and will never see again
    - Which doesn't matter, because evaluations are basically uncorrelated to salary rises

Advice to Senior ManagementAny advice to management would be wasted because management changes every 6 months.

Great Company

ProsGreat environment and opportunity to have mobilty.
    Good professional development

ConsToo many processes in paper

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reducing maintenance costs of patrols and maritime aircraft supervision

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) Brest (France)

ProsFirstly, I think that at Thales, projects are really interesting.
    Secondary, employees are very well paid. Finally, I can say that there is a lot of advantages when you work at Thales.

ConsThales group for exciting and challenging opportunity in the engineering, science and technology fields. Every project is a new challenge because projects are all different..

Working at Thales

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toulouse (France)

ProsGreat social status / job security. Interesting projects and good workplace.

ConsLittle international involvement. Management not reactive enough to international opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more reactive.

Inter in a Microwave and RF Research laboratory

Test and Development Engineer (Intern) (Former Employee) Limours (France)

Proshighly equipped environment, great amount of knowledge and skilled people on the field, challenging projects

Consnone, it's still one of the best opportunity one can get for a internship

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise to keep recruiting students from which aren't in the heights of the School ranking in France. Especially in a really technical environment similar to the labs I worked in, practical task are very well handled by student with good practical background.
    Despite this, my direct management was really great and I had a really good experience working over there as an Intern

Large possibilities, stable but complex bureaucracy

Ingenieur Developpement Projets & Integration Des Systems (Current Employee) Lambersart (France)

Pros- Salaries
    - Work council
    - Number of internal job opportunities around the world
    - Quality strictness

Cons- Quality of your job depends on the project, team, service, entity ... in Thales Group
    - Huge and mix of pyramid-shaped/matrix hierarchical system that occurs a kind of a heavy management and internal promotions
    - Over-quality system on huge project that produce complex bureaucracy over real productivity on large V-model projects (fortunately, Agile methods can modify this perception)
    - Same for security reasons (confidentiality, data protection, internal authorizations...)

Advice to Senior Management- Keep an eye on Agile methods concerning documents generation, open collaborative systems, communication, transparency / feedbacks with direct clients/users, ... Too much intermediaries can block communication/feedbacks or distord indicators.
    - Be really attentive to every activities on each project of each entities. Get more feedbacks.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHuge group with enormous potential power and expertise (if you can leverage it).
    Career opportunities, good mentorship.
    High level information technology consulting compared to market (system engineering, agile software development, etc.).
    High level recruitment, technical skills are above average.
    High

ConsJuniors are offered salaries well over the market, but then salary evolution is more based on seniorship than on skills and performances. After few years, salaries are medium (compared to market). Extremely low bonus compared to market.
    Rating surely depends highly on the service you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust salary and bonus policies to reward performances and skills.

Great

Intern (Former Employee) Vélizy-Villacoublay (France)

ProsBig Company and well known around the world

ConsBig Company, too many people.

Systems Engineer for Thales

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Colombes (France)

ProsInteresting project
    Good atmosphere
    Good Life Balance
    Good company benefits
    Good amount of training possible

ConsHuge hierarchy
    No mentoring
    Glass ceiling
    Salary
    No real international mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess it depends on the service you work force since the group is huge, anyhow I feel that I haven't received any mentorship regarding my career advancement. Nothing is really clear on how to climb the corporate ladder. Also even though HR advertises so there is no real international mobility possible

Worked for Thales? Contribute to the Community!