Thales UK

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Victor Chavez

Great Experience with great freedom to explore my interests

Intustrial Placememt Engineer (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGreat work life balance, good opportunity to take on responsibility and discover new interests.

ConsThere is little recognition from higher management for the ground level workers and salaries aren't great.

Avoid this backwater place and head somewhere more cosmopolitan

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsThere are none. You will be surrounded by lifers maintaining their hegemony and inner circles and who will box you in as they deem appropriate- the struggle to overcome this especially if you are a young, progressive and ambitious will unfortunately be relentless.

ConsTake a look at yourself and then look around you, look at the management team, look at the the network of individuals who make decisions, you will find a particular demographic is prevalent and preferred - unfortunately anything different will be met with abrasion or apprehension.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon'y play lip service to corporate ethics, the organisation is steeped in some of the worst kinds of intolerance imagniable

Could try Harder

Project Manager (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsGreat Products, great technology investment, great people, great travel opportunities, great canteen. The company has a good investment policy for new products, and when it does things right it is a fabulous company to work for.

ConsCan be complicated. The wheels of industry turn slowly and Thales can prove it. Suffers from Export control paranoia....

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out Export control, lets deliver to the customer!!!! Stop being so complicated....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

ProsProvides fantastic opportunities for Professional Development
    Friendly culture
    Non-hierarchical

ConsNot innovative enough in terms of ways of working

Friendly and professional

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood options for mobility- interesting projects to work on- friendly and helpful atmosphere with a lot of training opportunity. Pay increases and promotions are well handled for promising employees.

ConsNo major concerns with the job

Frustratingly challenging.

ProsIt operates in varied markets, so the experience and type of work differs from one area to the next. Employees across the board are committed and proud of the work they do. Half-day Fridays and good terms and conditions, which are consistent across the UK. Emphasis and control has moved to global divisions, but Thales UK is still trying to operate as a profit centre, meaning duplication of effort and reporting to maintain UK corporate senior management roles.

ConsThere is little work-life balance. No social scene. Limited progression outside of UK unless you have worked in France. Innovation and carrying out your day-job is stifled through complex, unnecessary processes. No commitment to carrying out employee cultural programmes or communication effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on demonstrating visible leadership. Stick to your promises and commitments to employees. Remove more management layers without stifling progression. Help employees to understand how the business now operates.

Challenging

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsSalary and bonus and t&c's are very good

ConsOutdated, old style autocratic management exists which stifles creativity and progression in the innovative new age technology image the company is trying to project.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely revamp the management style and behaviours to bring them up to date with current, more motivational techniques. Every year employee engagement surveys are highly critical of management - it's time to do something about that.

Interesting challenging work for the motivated

Electronic Engineer (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsGood place to work if you're genuinely interested in physics, electronics and software. Good work life balance most of the time. People mostly cooperative and helpful.

ConsA lot of dead wood in senior roles due to time served. It's being addressed, so we'll see. Evolved in the UK from buy outs so not particularly coherent between the different sites. Good projects are not always available. Can seem very bureaucratic when you start.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus much more on doing a great job from customer perspective.

I was hired as a software engineer and in 12 months wrote no software! Beware!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

ProsGood people at the Engineering level

ConsSo management heavy nothing gets done properly. Everything is geared towards managers.

Awful people who hire, getting computer illiterate people for software engineering roles.

Constant changing of managers throughout the business. Every week there's someone moving from head of this to head of that.

Awful pay compared to rest of comparable industry.

No care for people under 40, everyone else is just sitting waiting for retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut management by at least 50%. Get rid of all the incompetent people. Let the people who know what they're doing have a say (engineers). More stringent checks on the skills of people they are employing.

Challenging but exciting job as an aerospace software engineer

Simulation Software Engineer (Former Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

Pros- Working on exciting products: Full Flight Simulators used for pilot training
    - Some travel abroad when installing Simulators in Training Centres
    - Flexi Time

Cons- Decision-making is slow and hampered by the size of the Thales group
    - Salaries are not very competitive in comparison with the rest of the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should consider employees at engineering level more seriously. There is a tendency to have too many layers of managements which prevents good decisions from being made.

Worked for Thales UK? Contribute to the Community!