The Aerospace Corporation Reviews

105 reviews filtered by
3.7
The Aerospace Corporation President, CEO, and Director Wanda M. Austin
Wanda M. Austin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good: Management expects high performance, but recognizes that you have a life (in 14 reviews)

• Longer days or shorter days as needed (within reason), and took advantage of the 9/80 schedule (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very difficult for the company to adopt new technology due to the fact that the average age of employees is something like 40 (in 5 reviews)

• There are a lot of people that are relatively old still walking the halls trying to do the normal day to day work without having basic computer skills (in 3 reviews)

1. I enjoyed my time working here and feel I gained a wealth of experience that I can pass along to a new company.

Former Employee - Receptioist/Office Assistant in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Receptioist/Office Assistant in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company had great benefits, encouraged a good work-life balance, especially around the holidays.

Cons

Poor communication, low personal growth opportunities.

Better communication, manager training be required for all new managers.

2. Not a good place to start your career

I have been working at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Lots of very smart people and experts in various fields of Aerospace Systems Engineering
    - Very good work-life balance

Cons

- It's a very old company and therefore stuck in old traditional ways of thinking.
    - Promotions are about who you know and politics not how well you do
    - Younger employee retention is abysmal while older employees refuse to retire.
    - Perhaps more politics than most companies. It's a CYA type of environment at all times.
    - Very top (read: senior, management, leads, etc) heavy company

Realize that when the older workforce finally does retire, their will not be a younger workforce to take its place due to how poorly retention of younger employees is.

3. Nice place to work

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees at this company are highly educated and experienced in their fields.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for career growth and advancement at this company.

None

5. Good place to work. A lot of smart people.

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Technical people can learn a lot. There is a lot of R&D that goes on and thus it is a good place to grow technically.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times. The company can be slow to make changes, they do not always react quickly to changing work environments.

6. Great opportunity for learning.

I have been working at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great social environment, great opportunities for networking so that you can get to know others in prominent positions and they can get to know you. The connections you make at this company are long-lived, if not permanent. You get to make your own opportunities; you can get experience and exposure in whatever area you may desire, where other companies would not be so supportive. Great work/life balance; flexible schedules. Tuition reimbursement. Great retirement benefits.

Cons

Though learning opportunities are plentiful, you may not ever get to work in those areas. Opportunities for development do not match opportunities for advancement. Unless you are an older employee you will definitely hit your ceiling; it's a fishbowl if you are on the fast track or ambitious. Pay is just "ok"...one works here for the valuable training and education, not the compensation.

Support your direct reports in their career growth and advancement. APIPs (yearly evals) should also support a career plan that you should be accountable for following along with the employee.

7. Overall a great place to work.

Former Employee - Controls Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation

Pros

Great atmosphere. The company really values its people. Great work life balance

Cons

The location was the biggest challenge. It is located in a location that is hard to commute to (long drive) unless you can afford a really nice home close by, but that is probably unlikely.

Allow work from home more.

8. Summer Intern (2013,14)

Former Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation

Pros

Great culture, education advancement opportunities, excellent work-life balance, always stimulating and interesting work

Cons

The average age of employees is 50+, and the company tends to be very academia-oriented, which gets annoying at times

Hire young, driven employees that will invigorate the company and give fresh new ideas to the company

9. Fun to work as an intern

Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff - Graduate in El Segundo, CA
    Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff - Graduate in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1. Worked on several really cool projects using some high end equipment.
    2. Lots of hands on work with hardware.
    3. Everybody was professional with each other. I barely heard any kind of gossip or talking behind the back.
    4. Lots of optional overtime during the summer.
    5. Lots of optional presentations for interns and new employees to show the kind of work the company does and offer advice.

Cons

While working, I didn't have any problems. Unfortunately, the biggest issue was that they told me many times that interns were hired as long as they don't screw up. However, when I asked about a job after I graduated, I was told there were no positions open. So I guess they never told me the fine print in which interns get hired only when the positions are available.

I wasn't there long enough to form any opinion.

10. Software Engineer Internship Experience

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company cares about their employees
    Strong emphasis on expanding knowledge and learning
    Interesting work
    Good training

Cons

Old fashioned management
    Slow to move things forward

11. Ossified and Uninteresting Organization

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA

I worked at The Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Near the beach, but as far as the workplace itself goes, there is nothing positive to say. Well, if you want a sinecure, and have zero ambition, then this is the place for you!

Cons

Talent is not rewarded—it is quite the opposite. This organization was important during the moon shot in the late 1960's. It is now quite stale, essentially a nursing home for retirement-age researchers. They like to hire a lot of "fresh-out" PhDs, primarily because they are inexpensive. The churn rate for new hires is huge, and only the unimaginative and submissive are able to tolerate the place. Management openly discusses that boondoggles like Reagan's 'Star Wars' defense system were unworkable from an engineering perspective, but that they were "good for business." Many at Aerospace long for the days of the Cold War with the USSR. One 'Distinguished Scientist' in the labs is even a conspiracy theorist who thinks the Moon Landing was faked! In summary, the staff THRIVE on screw-ups with satellite launches because that is when the money hose opens wide. AVOID!

SpaceX is going to eat your lunch. Aerospace is no longer useful to the US DOD, and should be disbanded.

The Aerospace Corporation Photos