The American College

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Larry Barton

A superior professional education Institution.

Sales, Financial Services (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI couldn't recommend a better school for Professional Development.
    The curriculum was such that my studies and coursework did not interfere negatively with my career whatsoever.
    The knowledge I gained and the Professional Designations I acquired proved to be priceless in the advancement of my practice and professional reputation.

ConsThe knowledge and accolades earned - although beneficial at the time - were industry-specific, and are now obsolete to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI highly recommend inspiring your up-and-coming sales rep's to consider furthering their professional success at the American College.

Horrible place to work

Clerical (Former Employee) Bryn Mawr, PA

Pros5 weeks PTO so you can get away.

ConsCEO hates the peasants. He has been there 10+ years and all he does is fire people and cut benefits. There's no sign it will stop even though they are at minimum staffing levels. Morale is very, very low but the idiot CEO thinks it's high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down and let real managers take over.

Horrible Job, horrible pay, horrible management

ProsNone, worst job ever. Liars

ConsEverything told to you is a lie. Slave ship

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bryn Mawr, PA

ProsIt is a good place to begin and gain some experience. Output is high, but not always high-level.

ConsPolitics, very poor management, a cowboy CEO, a dishonest environment, and poor work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should consider changing your culture if you want to be relevant in the years to come.

The American College provided a place to work for someone with little to no experience.

Temp, Media Services (Former Employee) Bryn Mawr, PA

ProsThe American College has a state-of-the-art facility. Every camera and workstation is fine-tuned to success, and precision. The American college is a small facility with a huge output. Holiday parties are lavishly catered. Executives seldom treat the office to quick foods, and drinks after work. Working at the American College gives you a one-on-one experience with qualified professionals.

ConsNot a healthy work culture. Some of the co-workers are disgruntled. Politics are valued in the office, rather than hard work. Seemed difficult to fit in right away. Employees will close doors to talk about private issues. Management can seem hot and cold.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't place any final decisions on your inexperienced employees. Offer a more comfortable office environment. Try to be more clear about expectations you have for the employees. Try to make yourself more approachable. Practice friendliness towards all employees.

The American College - it'll be great after a management layoff

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bryn Mawr, PA

ProsThe benefits are very good and inexpensive, and the College offers a great deal of paid time off- about twenty five days a year for starting employees. The work day is also short- about seven and a half hours as opposed to the usual eight or nine.

ConsSenior management is VERY uninvolved with the "peasantry" as I call it- I have only met or spoken to the President once in the last 14 months, and the various department heads and departments don't communicate with each other or with the employees unless they're absolutely forced to. The compensation is low, and they have fought me tooth and nail every time I've asked for a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first piece of advice I would give senior management is to take a hard ground-up look at every manager in the building. A lot of managers and experienced employees are coasting along through the work day at this point, or they're presenting once face to their employees and another to senior management. Additionally, fighting every request for a raise- or openly telling employees that the standards for who gets promoted when aren't uniform (I was actually told that I was so smart I had to work twice as hard to get the same promotion as another employee) does NOT endear you to the people that work here.

Marketing

ProsCo workers were great. .

ConsUpper management lacks integrity. CEO is a narcissist and micro manages everything.Call center has high turnover. Management does not understand the need for new relational database and continues to drain the budget with people soft band aid fixes

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove many of the incompetent senior management

Good for first job, but that's it!

ProsSmall and know most of the employees in the building. Nice area. Good for a first job out of college. Five weeks vacation.

ConsNo room for growth. CEO has a very top down, sexist way of thinking. Salaries are way below average. They pile up more responsibility on you without the compensation because they're a "non profit organization". No yearly bonuses even though you're told that when hired. Very political, if you're not in with certain groups, you're a nobody.

Worked for The American College? Contribute to the Community!