The Arc of San Diego

Updated October 10, 2014
2.1

David W. Schneider

Frustrating / Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego (Costa Rica)

I have been working at The Arc of San Diego full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rewarding job helping others in need, Health package is pretty decent, can be flexible with schedule changes -- i.e. day/night options.

Cons

no overtime, no raises in past few years due to budget cuts, lack of oversight, hardest work == lowest paid positions (group homes), high turn-over rate (likely due to low pay), lateral movement (don't expect to move up in company)

being open and honest about budget cuts, finding ways to appreciate workers if cant give raises (i.e., gift certificates, additional hrs pto, discounts at stores, etc.)

Direct Support Professional I

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional I in El Cajon, CA

I worked at The Arc of San Diego full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training when hired. You get CPR, First Aid and Pro Act training. Training is about a week long. You also find out about the company and make some new friends. At the end you get certificates and an ARC shirt.

Cons

Clients are very physically challenging. I found it to be unsafe because it was hard sometimes to know when a consumer would have a behaviors. When they have a behaviors they can get violent and throw items or try to hurt a worker or other consumer. For the pay it is not worth getting hurt.

There needs to be a long shadow period where a person that has more experience helps the experienced. A long time goes by at times when the consumers are just sitting around waiting for the day to begin or end. This is the time when the behaviors occur because they are board. Have staff pay attention to the clients during this period.