The Art Institute Online

Updated July 1, 2014
Updated July 1, 2014
2.0

CEO

Okay job, but upper management was awful

Current Employee - Admissions Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Art Institute Online full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay (at the time)
    Decent schedule
    Nice office
    Up to date on most technology

Cons

Upper management was two-faced
    They always said one thing, but meant another

Get yourselves together! You created an environment that made everyone want to step on others to get to the top. You don't have to damage others in order to be successful.

I worked for this company for almost 3 years, and started as an Admissions Rep and got promoted to Admissions Manager. I was hesitant to take the promotion because I had seen the struggles some of many of the other managers, and I actually voiced my concerns to upper management, but they assured me things were changing for the better and that it would be great. I accepted the position, received literally zero training (even though I was promised ample training) and was thrown in and expected to swim. It was very hard for the first few months. Even as a rep, they expected much more than people could consistently provide. As a manager, I wasn't given much time to work with employees to try to help them get better before having to put them on a "PIP", or performance improvement plan. My boss would hound me, or other managers on our team, to start the process to get a particular person fired, which basically meant that we would have to start gathering all of the documentation we could to have reason enough to fire them so they couldn't come back and say they were let go for the wrong reason. It was very discouraging because good people often got fired because of their low performance, but people who were consistently late and had behavioral problems were kept on for years because they produced. Not a good environment.

Everyone had "quotas", but upper management was so busy trying to advance their own careers that they never took the time to train their staffs to be able to make their quotas. The environment was such that people were getting promoted or moved into different departments literally on a daily basis, which meant that the supervisor who actually took the time to work with you for a few days was in a different position the next day and you had a new boss who wanted you to do everything completely differently. Everyone thought they knew the best way to get consistent results, but no one was ever on the same page so it was always a jumbled mess. They would have manager meetings and point out those with the lowest numbers for the previous day or week, and then whoever had done well would give them pointers, even if the person who had done well had just been in the bottom the week before. It was so inconsistent, and just seemed like a bunch of teenagers playing "house". It was nice to see that young people could have executive positions, however, most of those people had no clue what they were doing. The promotions were largely based on who was friends with who, as they often went out partying together (even with their staffs!), and then if two people got into a fight and stopped being friends, one of them would mysteriously get moved to a different department or suddenly not be working there anymore. It was the strangest place I've ever worked. It felt a lot like Melrose Place or some other primetime soap opera.

The pay was really great when I was there, as I was luck enough to get in while they were still doing the matrix and bumped my salary up more than 50% in 6 months, however, that pay structure ended well before I left and the people getting hired on were being paid much lower than what I had even started at, and the raises were only going to be given annually up to something like 3-4%. I did have excellent health benefits, a matching 401k that was vested from the get go, tuition benefits, and something like 18 vacation/sick/personal days per year, that could basically be used however we wanted as long as they were approved (other than sick days, of course).

Most horrific work experience I've ever known.

Former Employee - Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Art Institute Online full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Biweekly pay, nice offices in fairly safe area of town.

Cons

Militant work environment, inexperienced managers, unrealistic goals and expectations

Treat people like human beings instead of like dogs!

Telemarking environment....art institute will sign up anyone with a pulse..

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Art Institute Online full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you need quick money or transitioning jobs it might be worth it. They pay about 17 bucks an hour

Cons

Selling your soul for the mighty dollar...

Management wants you to sign up students to attend school who are not qualified to attend college. Most students didn't know how to send an email.

Most days spent leaving voicemails and having people hang up on you.

Change culture to focus on higher education not on enrollment numbers. Improve the quality of the programs

The Art Institute of pittsburgh online is everything that is wrong with higher education. Admissions make promises about careers that don't exist.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Art Institute Online full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for entry level employees

Cons

I was hired as an Assistant Director of Admissions. It seemed like a great thing at the time as I had only a high school education and was fresh from the army with no experience in a civilian job. I soon found out that the job was in fact a telemarketing position which was not at all what I believed that job would be.

Present the nature of the job more accurately to prospective employees.

facilitator Art Fundamentals Art Institute of Pittsburgh

Former Employee - Facilitator in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Facilitator in Cleveland, OH

I worked at The Art Institute Online as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

1. Work wherever you want to work.
    2. They give you a copy of all the software you need.

Cons

1. The release you whenever they feel like it with no warning. You will never know if you have a class next term. Even if the students give you good reviews.
    2. They take no criticism.
    3. At times you feel like you are working for an unethical company that will allow any student into their program.
    4. No Health Care
    5. No Chance for advancement.

You need to value your employees. By doing that you will get more students.

On-Line Facilitator

Current Employee - On-Line Facilitator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - On-Line Facilitator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Art Institute Online

Pros

The flexibility in location. Flexibility of work schedule.

Cons

Work load can be heavy at times during weekends and/or holidays.

Allow for more openness in work locations.

Good money for part time teaching, but intense workload and poor management communication

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at The Art Institute Online part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Instructors can work from anywhere, at any time of the day since classes are all asynchronous.

Cons

Instructors can't provide your own syllabi or materials or alter class materials. Linked content from full time faculty that have been added to the couse may not agree with how you would teach content, but there is nothing you can do. Criticism is not accepted and actions taken by upper management do not always agree with posted HR policies.

Make adjuncts feel like part of the school. The communication levels are very poor. Course content changes without warning, but without communication there is not time to react because course setup times are so short. The full time faculty feel like a clique from which adjunct faculty are excluded.

Good money but no flexibility and no chance for advancement

I have been working at The Art Institute Online

Pros

Work where ever you are when ever you schedule permits

Cons

No flexibility on course content
    New time requirements make the schedule much less flexible.
    All assignments must be graded and all feedback left within 48 hours of every assignment with deadlines 24-48 hours apart can lead to a tremendous workload for a single class.

Make adjunct instructors feel like an important part of the school. Communication from management is generally lacking. Permanent faculty feel like a clique to which adunct are not invited. Make sure to pass information on policies, major curriculum updates etc on to appropriate adjunct.

New Instructor training started off great!

I have been working at The Art Institute Online

Pros

New Instructors begin with a training program and mentor which was very helpful to someone new to teaching online. I really loved the asynchronous classes, which allowed me to work on my schedule. Pay was $1600 per 5.5 week course.

Cons

There isn't much flexibility within the courses. Instructors are more like "Coaches" in the sense that they are not allowed to alter the content of the class. Rather their job is to support the students in the objectives laid out by the school. Instructors are not allowed to create their own syllabi, etc. Also, communication from Dept. Chairs with Adjunct Facutly isn't the best. I often felt disconnected from the school and full time faculty.

Try to make Adjunct Instructors feel more like a part of the school.